Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Freedom Takes On A New Meaning

 Here in Melbourne, we are currently the most locked-down city in the world - but that ends on Friday and Melbournians will be re-experiencing 'freedom' - and I can't wait to get back to things that we always took for granted. 

While I have taken full advantage of the time spent at home over the last few months to put all my time and energy in writing and all the 'business' that goes with it, I'm hanging out to :

Go out to dinner! There have been various 'celebrations' that are deserving of a yummy meal cooked by someone else, and with no dishes to wash. We have a street in Melbourne, Lygon Street, that is wall to wall Italian eateries and I'm hanging out for some delicious gnocchi with some Pinot Grigio or a nice Rose followed by a sweet, cold gelato. 

While we're there, maybe take in a movie at the independent cinema that is in Lygon Street as well. I'm not a fan of the big Hollywood movies and usually prefer the more obscure (often foreign) movies. We're probably all Netflixed-out after so much time at home, but I still love a good movie on a big screen. I have no idea what movies are out at the moment, but it'll be lovely to sit in comfort with a 'choc top' ice cream and some popcorn.

And back to a 'real' ballet class. This romance author has been a ballet student most of her life (and qualified as a ballet teacher quite a while back) and recently went back to adult ballet classes only to have them become Zoom classes. While this was convenient and a bit of a novelty, hanging on to the kitchen bench instead of a proper barre has its drawbacks. So now we'll hopefully be getting back to the studio.

Also, the Romance Writers of Australia conference was rescheduled from August to December and I'm soooo looking forward to that! Getting together with so many like-minded people is always inspirational and motivational - and just a good excuse to get away and stay in a nice hotel and have fun with writing friends. Last year's conference didn't happen at all, so it's extra special this year (and its the association's 30th anniversary).

And of course the biggest freedom we'll get back is being able to visit friends and family again! While my children don't live in my city anyway (so seeing them regularly isn't a part of my 'normal' life anyway), just being able to make a date for a coffee, or lunch or dinner or just and chill out with my bestie to talk writing and binge something on Netflix will be so fabulous. It's friends and family who have got us through this time and just to be able to hug them again and have face-to-face conversations is going to be fantastic. 

With all these new 'distractions', I'm going to need a double dose of perseverance to keep this butt glued to the seat so my writing and writing-related activities don't suffer - but I might allow myself a full day of just going 'out and about' to get it out of my system!

So, five sleeps to go and you'll probably hear the cheering in Melbourne from wherever you are!


 

Check out Andra's latest release (A Firm Hand) and all her books on her Author Page. 


5 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

I agree a special treat is eating a favorite food fixed by someone else and with no dishes afterwards! I'll be doing that for a weekend in November and I can hardly wait!

Maggie Lynch said...

Andra, all those things to do when you are free. How will you choose what to do first? I've been fortunate in the past few months to get together with a few full vaccinated friends outside and to share a meal. I've also done one or two indoor restaurant shared meals, again with a fully vaccinated friend who is safe.

Total freedom is still not available here. I am able to go to my dance class indoors but we all wear masks while dancing. Believe me, it does make your breathing work harder but it's better than dancing in a six foot square space in my office while watching it on Zoom. Happy dancing to you!

Diana McCollum said...

How exciting for you, Andra. Enjoy every minute! We can go most places now in California. My husband and I always wear a mask. once we've sat down in a restaurant and have our drinks served we take our masks off. Shopping, I leave my mask on till I'm safely back in my car.

Deb N said...

Oh,, Andra, I can hear the excitement in your voice. I have no doubt I will hear the cheering soon! Your country has done this "Covid-reduction-thing" right. Enjoy your movies and feasts and friends. And...don't forget to do SOME writing.

Deb

PS - your post made me want to run out and find an Italian restaurant. Ours are sill in the take-out or dine outside phase. Since the winter chill is in the air, it is not as comfortable to sit outside. ENJOY!

Andra said...

Deb - we do only have a 'dine outdoors' option too, but it's Spring so the weather isn't too bad (although it's cold and rainy today after blue skies and warm yesterday).

Diana - we're also still 'masks on' for everything except eating and drinking, but it just seems a part of life after so long. It's not a huge deal.

Maggie - I'll be back in the studio early November. Thankfully here we've never had to wear masks in class with restricted numbers which is really good.