Monday, May 16, 2022

Missing My Peeps! .... Delsora Lowe

Hey, folks, did you know that on May 26 we celebrate “in case you missed it day.” It’s also national blueberry cheesecake day, cherry dessert day, and the list goes on and on. I happen to love dark cherries and blueberries, and I love New York-style cheesecake, sans any toppings. But I digress…

What I really wanted to talk about was one of the May events I have missed most in the last few years. As with most writers, I lead a relatively solitary work life. I hang out at my desk and type all day or scratch out book idea notes on random scraps of paper or sit on the couch and read romance novels by my (tons of) favorite authors. And let’s not forget the Hallmark movies that I can spout the correct dialogue before the actor says a word. I admit it, the last two years have been a long, long, drawn out marathon (read that as BINGE) of romance books and movies.

Okay, I do have a life outside of writing. But sometimes it doesn’t feel like it, since now I also spend at least four weekend days a month, and several evenings a week, on ZOOM with writing groups.


Interaction—YAY. The pros are I get to attend writing chapter meetings in New Jersey and Rhode Island and near Boston, plus meet with my Maine peeps without leaving my desk. I also get to attend interactive, virtual writing craft and / or business workshops by experts in Seattle or New York City, and anywhere in between. The cons are sometimes I feel maxed out—bleary-eyed from too much screen time on top of the writing time.

And that leads me to what I have missed most. Despite the millions of ZOOM meetings, what I crave most is in-person human interaction. AND Ta-Da…four days after this blog posts, I will be at my first non-ZOOM, writer’s retreat since 2019. TWO WHOLE DAYS.

To tell you I’m excited would be an understatement. To tell you how much I miss seeing “my peeps” in person…well, there are no words. I get to hug (masks on,) and catchup on everyone’s lives, and chat over meals, and learn from live workshop presenters, and have my annual tumbler of scotch at happy hour. AND…learn.  Learn not from taped videos or on-line workshops or by reading. But learn by “talking shop,” live, in-person give-and-take. EXCITED!


Full disclosure, the most people I have been near all at once in the last two years, for any length of time, was (1) the grocery store, and (2) my daughter’s wedding. I have turned into an introvert. So, I am trying to summon up my usual extrovert personality, and hope I have the stamina to talk to forty-five people for two days straight without imploding. CAN’T WAIT!

What would you celebrate on “in case you missed it” day (month)?


 

A HUGE Happy 11th Birthday to Romancing the Genres


The Love Left Behind

Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Left-Behind-Hartford-Estate-ebook/dp/B08L5N5DS9/

 Books2Read   books2read.com/u/mglVqK


~ cottages to cabins ~ keep the home fires burning ~

Delsora Lowe writes small town sweet and spicy romances and contemporary westerns from the mountains of Colorado to the shores of Maine.

Author of the Starlight Grille series, Serenity Harbor Maine novellas, and the Cowboys of Mineral Springs series, Lowe has also authored short romances for Woman’s World magazine. Her newest novella is The Love Left Behind.

Social Media Links: 

Author website: www.delsoralowe.com
Facebook Author page: https://www.facebook.com/delsoraloweauthor/community/
Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/Delsora-Lowe/e/B01M61OM39/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
Books2Read Author page: https://www.books2read.com/ap/8GWm98/Delsora-Lowe
BookBub Author Page: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/delsora-lowe-93c6987f-129d-483d-9f5a-abe603876518
Goodreads Author Page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16045986.Delsora_Lowe
Instagram: #delsoralowe / https://www.instagram.com/delsoralowe/


16 comments:

Michelle Libby said...

I'm glad the trend is to have some live events for writers now. I'm so excited about seeing everyone...you got that right. I'm coming to Maine for the retreat. It has been so long since we've talked shop and celebrated. See you there, Dels.

Anonymous said...

I miss in person events as well…

Maggie Robinson said...

While you all will be in Portland, I will be in MA watching Josephine's first ballet recital, LOL. The Maine retreat was something I looked forward to every year, and I know you'll have a blast! Miss you guys, and I'll try to remind myself to tune into a Zoom meeting more often.

Deb N said...

OMG, Michelle - you're coming?!?!??!?! SO excited! Travel safe

Maggie - will miss you SO much - but ballet and grandchildren take the #1 slot. We'll see you soon on ZOOM!

Anonymous - Thanks for stopping in! YES, it has been a rough few years with not much human interaction. Much needed, for sure!

JENNIFER WILCK said...

Sounds wonderful! Hope you have a great time!

Judith Ashley said...

Delsora, you've talked about the Maine Retreat ever since I've known you. What a wonderful way to spend time, make connections and friends with other writers/authors. So exciting to see how excited you all are in seeing each other again.

A side benefit of the past two years, I think, is that we do appreciate our in person time together more and some conferences are now hybrid so we can go in person if we want or we can attend virtually which helps the budget in many cases.

Any name said...

Have an awesome time!
My first group event will be in July for a different aspect of my life. Counting down the days!!

Deb N said...

thanks, Jennifer - I do plan to have a GREAT time. Wish some of my NJ friends were coming, but alas, this year, they couldn't make it.

Deb N said...

Any Name - you have an AWESOME time, as well. Having missed so much in-person the last few years, I think this will be extra exciting for anyone getting out to events. Have a blast!

Deb N said...

You are so right, Judith. I have kept up with my PEEPS on-line and virtually, but in-person with back and forth talking and learning together will be extra special this year, for sure! My wish for many, many years has been to get out to the NW and see my peeps there. Someday, I hope!

Laurie Evans said...

I'm coming, too! I can't wait! :-)

Deb N said...

OMG, Laurie - can't wait to see you! Getting more excited by the minute.

Luanna Stewart said...

I bet I'm just as excited as you are, roomie. I can't wait to hang out with fellow writers. See you soon!

Deb N said...

Lu - looking forward to the weekend. Been WAY too long! We all need something to look forward to - right?!?!?

Susan Vaughan said...

Love, love, love this column, Delsora! I too can't wait to see my peeps, and you are first and foremost. I hope you're up for actual hugs!

Deb N said...

Susan - I will be a mask-wearing person who will so-so-so welcome hugs. So missed everyone!