Saturday, June 18, 2022

How My Location Helps My Writing by Joan Ramirez

I have two locations for writing. One is the family home in Staten Island where I can walk in a nearby park and relax while looking at nature and wildlife. 

I do what they call Mind Mapping. 

As I walked through one day while calming my mind from a stressful morning, I thought about the protagonist, Margo, in my romance novel called Secret Desires. I’d planned to have her go to the family cabin in Upstate New York by herself. As I walked, it started to rain and I thought, what if they were going for a drive and it rained so hard they had to stay overnight? 

I only enjoy walking in the rain in the tropics. However, almost getting drenched, as the author, motivated me to write the first love scene. No peek scenes for readers of Judith’s wonderful posts. You’ll have to read the book.

My second location is a friend’s condo overlooking the ocean on Long Island.  It inspired me to write the scenes with Margo and her lover on a getaway to an exotic island.  

However, be careful what your character wishes for. 

Margo is thrilled to be on a tropical paradise with her love until he reveals his true feelings about an issue that is central to her beliefs. No setting can compensate for a relationship that is in trouble. However, I do admit to loving writing on the beach. The combination of sun, sand, and sea rejuvenates and inspires me.

Joan Ramirez

J.L. Regen’s book was inspired by a real life story of lovers who join hearts against
many odds. 

She lives in the New York metropolitan area, is a published photojournalist, has short suspense stories online, and has taught English as a Second Language to students around the globe. 

This is her first contemporary romance. She has also published four nonfiction books and her historical suspense novel set in World War II is under review.

Learn more about Joan on her social media:

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Desires-J-L-Regen-ebook/dp/B01N137HX5

 https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/secret-desires-j-l-regen/1125516296?ean=9780998409900

https://www.facebook.com/Secret-Desires-1819428604992553

3 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Thanks for joining us, Joan. I've worked on two of my books at retreats at the ocean. At first I thought it would be too distracting and I'd get nothing done because I'd be watching the waves or walking on the beach. Neither was true. I wrote 30K on a book at a writing retreat in 2019! At home, I can sit outside on my back deck and enjoy the flowers in my yard, the hummers visiting the salvia or take a walk in the neighborhood. Either activity frees me from the keyboard and I find ideas/inspiration and I return to the keyboard excited and inspired.

Anonymous said...

Some of my best writing is by the water. It calms and motivates me. Joan

Deb N said...

Love hearing about author's inspiration for stories. Thanks for visiting the RTG blog.