Saturday, June 25, 2022

Why All My Heroines Grew Up in Iowa

By Linda Lovely

Though it’s been decades since I left home, I remain grateful I grew up in Keokuk, Iowa. My hometown sits on bluffs above a wide swath of the Mississippi River. Take one bridge out of town and you’re in Illinois; the other bridge, and you’re in Missouri. While I can’t overestimate my single mother’s role in forming my value system, Keokuk, Iowa, did an excellent job of reinforcing my belief in the value of education, women’s rights, personal responsibility, and tolerance. So, it’s probably no surprise that all of my heroines grew up in Keokuk, or another small Iowa town.

Growing up beside the Mississippi River

My tenth mystery set for November release is based in the South Carolina Lowcountry. In fact, the strong-willed leading ladies in all of my contemporary novels live in the South, just like me. Yet, in a sense, all these novels begin in Iowa where my heroines came of age.

My heroines’ professions vary. Two have military backgrounds—Army and Coast Guard. One’s a retired FBI agent. Another is a forensic accountant. Yet another is a vegan chef. They range in age from late twenties to a fifty and above. So, given this diversity, why didn’t I have some of these women grow up where they now live—be it Beaufort, South Carolina, or Atlanta, Georgia?

The reason’s probably a combination of laziness and failed imagination. While my heroines may be braver, more talented and smarter than me, they share my values. I’m quite certain women who grew up elsewhere share my beliefs and attitudes. Heck, many of my friends prove that. Yet, as an author, I find it simpler to let my heroines learn some of their life lessons in my hometown.

My Heroine grew up in Keokuk.

How did my upbringing influence me (and them)? It starts with the schools. When I was growing up, Keokuk had fantastic public schools that promoted both education and social acceptance. While elementary schools were primarily neighborhood affairs within walking distance of students’ homes, our relatively small population (under 20,000) meant the town had only one Junior High and Senior High. As a result, my classmates spanned the economic spectrum from poor to wealthy and included boys and girls, Christians and Jews, Whites and Blacks, farm kids and townies.

We studied together and played together. While there were the inevitable social cliques, neither skin color, religion, or economic status excluded kids from advanced study tracks, music, band and other extracurricular activities, Y programs, public swimming pools, or school dances. While I regularly attended a Methodist church, I visited  Catholic and evangelical churches with friends. While I was well aware of prejudices and slights, we didn’t live in a homogenous bubble, and we got along.

I can't image living far away from water.

It's natural to look back on the past with nostalgia, to remember the good and forget the bad. Yes, I’m definitely guilty. Nonetheless, the good in my hometown of yesteryear will always have a special place in my heart, even though the Keokuk I remember no longer exists. I’m startled by the changes every time I return. The vacant stores on Main Street. The crumbling condition of the house where I grew up. Since my mother’s death, my visits primarily coincide with high school reunions. So, when I gather with my classmates, the old Keokuk still lives—and it will be around as long as we are.

     

11 comments:

Cynthia Sample said...

I also grew up in the Midwest although I moved to California in my twenties. Maybe that's why Linda Lovely's protagonists always seem so relatable. Or it could be her excellent writing! I can't wait to read the latest in her new HOA series.

Donna Campbell said...

I laughed a little when I read that Keokuk had a population of 20,000. Where I grew up that was "big city". My tiny town, maybe a village would be a better word, boasted 800 people living inside the town limits. To this day, it still has only one traffic light and becomes a caution light at midnight. Why I mention this is because the values Linda's delightful heroines embody are the same as those I learned living in central South Carolina in the 50's and 60's. We readers recognize them in her characters, and that draws us into her stories. She creates for us a feeling of shared experience with the heroine. It's a device that works well for Linda, whose books always leave me feeling satisfied--like eating a huge slice of peach pie a la mode. Looking forward to her new book.

Linda Lovely said...

Thank you Donna and Cindy for the kind comments! I wish I was as good as my heroines at living up to these values in everyday life. But at least I know when I start slipping! I'm a strong proponent of public schools. I remember when I met women in college who'd always attended private girls' schools. They had no idea how to relate to boys/men as friends. Kind of sad.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Keokuk sounds like a great place to grow up. Linda. I'm glad the town you knew lives on in your books.

Linda Lovely said...

Thanks, Lynn. Of course, except for the historical suspense that takes place in Keokuk in 1938, my heroines have all moved out of state--just like many of my classmates. It's unfortunate, but a number of economic factors have reduced job options.

Lorraine said...

I love small towns. I grew up in a suburb outside of Philly and graduated with the same 100 kids I went to kindergarten with. I was fortunate to have a great community.

Linda Lovely said...

That's great, Lorraine. I still talk and visit regularly with kindergarten friends!

Judith Ashley said...

Linda, such fun to see you here for the weekend! I like the idea of your heroines coming from or having similar roots. I'm still in touch with my best friend from elementary school. My dad was transferred so she and I did not attend the same high school, or even live in the same city although we were both in the Pacific Northwest. I sometimes wonder what my life would be like if I'd made different decisions over the decades beginning with "what if my dad hadn't been transferred at all". I do know my life would be extremely different. Hopefully my core values would be the same.

Linda Lovely said...

Thanks, Judith. I also have those "what-if" thoughts from time to time. Often they're about bad decisions. But without those bad decisions, many of my best memories, moments, opportunities would never have arrived. Like you, however, I hope no one experience would have impacted my core values.

Sarah Raplee said...

Linda, we raised our kids in Iowa for 21 yrs. A wonderful place to raise a family! We lived in a suburb of Cedar Rapids of about the same size as Keokuk. Moving there from the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex was definitely the right choice. And I, too, find your heroine's so relatable! Great post!

Linda Lovely said...

Thanks for commenting, Sarah! I'm finding lots of Iowa alums are out and about.