Monday, September 19, 2022

Lob-sta and the Annual Family Picnic: A Look Back at Summer ... Delsora Lowe

I would classify our annual lobster bake as a family picnic.

Every July, my daughter, son-in-law, and two grandsons leave Denver to descend on Maine. They coordinate the trip with my daughter’s best friend from high school and her family, who now live in Atlanta.

The fun begins.

Boat rides and kayaking off Bailey and Orr’s Island. Checking out our favorite- and some brand-new restaurants, zeroing in on seafood. But the highlight of the week is the “family” picnic, which includes high school friends, as well as their children and parents who still live in the area. We all bring salads, desserts, and hors d’oeuvres. Then we steam lobster in big pots over a fire outside, plus grill for those who don’t like—shaking my head, because who could say NO to
—lobster.

The entire event is a mini-reunion every summer. And, in essence, aside from the “rivalry” between graduates of two area high schools, one big family picnic.

But the true joy to me, is the entire week leading up to the grand finale of the lobster bake. My daughter and friend have been “besties” for over thirty-five years. The two were either at my house or her friend’s house all through high school. They were in each other’s weddings. Their children are similar ages, and despite living in different states, they see each other often, and spend the week in Maine glued to each other. Both ended up marrying two wonderful men they met at a college reunion, who are also best friends, having met at the same college.

So, for me, my daughter’s friend is like my second daughter and her husband is like my newest son-in-law. I’m lucky to have a wonderful son-in-law, and his bestie college friend, who always treats me like family.

This year, with a rental cottage right on the ocean, the views are spectacular, with plenty of kayaks, sailboats, and motor boats, plus seals, ducks, seagulls, and we suspect, from following the shark app, an occasional Great White who have been invading our coastal waters as they have warmed substantially.

Ocean winds, cloud formations, the slant of the sun, and the rise and fall of tides ensures the view continually changes. Add the beautiful day lilies, cornflowers, and beach roses with the rosy-orange rose hips ripening into fall, the setting is ideal for a summer vacation.

So, on a scorching summer July evening, being on the water with breezes and temps ten-degrees cooler than the middle of town, fifteen miles away, we enjoyed a wonderful “family” reunion, with plenty of chatter, eating, and excitement at the end.

The sun dipped in a fiery orange ball and bounced off equally tangerine-colored clouds. The woman next door flew a rainbow-colored, box-kite for her young son. The tide moved in, causing waves to lap against the rocks in front of the cottage and surge through the opening under the bridge.


And within seconds a mass of seagulls stormed the shoreline, squawking and swooping in from every direction to pluck the remains of the lobster shells from the rocks where we set out their buffet.

  
Memories abound and will be forever stored in the treasure chest of favorite occasions in the farthest reaches of our brains. Here’s to another great summer. Already looking forward to next year’s “family” picnic.

What kind of Summer fun did you have? Or are you looking ahead to Fall fun?


The Inn on Gooseneck Lane
Preorder now for October 17, 2022

cottages to cabins ~ keep the home fires burning ~

Delsora Lowe writes small town sweet and spicy romances and contemporary westerns from the mountains of Colorado to the shores of Maine.

Author of the Starlight Grille series, Serenity Harbor Maine novellas, and the Cowboys of Mineral Springs series, Lowe has also authored short romances for Woman’s World magazine. Her newest novella is The Love Left Behind. Look for both a Christmas novel (The Inn at Gooseneck Lane) and novella (Holiday Hitchhiker) later this fall.

Social Media Links:
Author website

Facebook Author page
Amazon Author page
Books2Read Author page
BookBub Author Page
Goodreads Author Page
Instagram

 Photo Credits: Delsora Lowe

22 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Deb, I'm looking forward to the continual season change to Fall. However, if I had an annual "family picnic" with steamed lob-sta shared with family and friends, I'd be looking forward to next year's.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Beautiful post--Maine is definitely on my bucket list now!

Deb N said...

Judith - it is something to look forward to every year. And...comes and goes so fast. But memories abound and carry me through the winter.

Deb N said...

Lynn - Maine is a beautiful state. Lovely coastline, and beautiful mountains in the west. Definitely worth a visit. Thanks for stopping by!

Barbara Rae Robinson said...

I love the pictures, Deb! And what a wonderful way to celebrate with family and friends. I'd take the lobster for sure.

And I've gone nowhere this summer that's almost over.

Diana McCollum said...

Deb,

Love, love the pictures! What a lovely way to celebrate family and friends. Thanks for sharing.

My favorite time of year are fall and spring.

Someday I'll get to Maine and a visit with you!

Deb N said...

Diana - I agree - I love fall. It would be so much fun to see you in person someday!!!!

Deb N said...

Barb - This summer has flown by, for sure. The scene was changing constantly between boats, wind, sea gulls, the sun slipping down. It was hard not to take a ton of photos.

If I win the mega-bucks, I send you a crate of lobsters :-)

Mary Lee said...

Oh, Deb-- what a lovely evocative look back on summer as the Autumn Equinox is upon us! Thank you!

Cynthia Sherrick said...

What beautiful photos of your lovely summer with your family and friends! Thank you for sharing. :)

Judy Kentrus said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos.

Jessica Lauryn said...

Wonderful blog, Deb! Our family loves Maine, and lobster, too!

Anonymous said...

What an evocative blog, Deb. Every summer, I miss that Maine breeze that clears out the late afternoon heat. It felt like a gift each time it arrived.

Dari LaRoche said...

Wonderful post, Delsora. I visited Maine a few years ago with a couple cousins and loved it. We had both lobster rolls and lobster mac and cheese over the course of the trip. Such fun and a beautiful state.

Luanna Stewart said...

Gorgeous photos, Delsora!! Looks like you and everyone had a fabulous picnic. Alas, I don't care for lobster *ducks and runs for cover*. But give me pan-fried scallops and I'm there!!!

Deb N said...

Cynthia - so glad you could stop by. It is my favorite time of the summer - seeing the grandsons and my kids. And... enjoying a lovely day on the ocean.

Deb N said...

Mary Lee - the best thing about photos - and these I will be looking at when the "white stuff" come tumbling from the sky.

Deb N said...

Judy - my pleasure. So glad you could pop in and say hello! I miss seeing you ate conferences.

Deb N said...

Oh, thanks, Jessica - Maine is a special place. I've lived here 50 years, but originally I was "from away." Enjoy your next trip north!

Deb N said...

Hello, Anonymous - I totally agree - Summers are special - especially when we get those lovely off-the-ocean breezes. I'm lucky to live within reach of the coast.

Deb N said...

Dari - I remember when you visited Nova Scotia and Maine. Wish I could have joined you for lobster. Seems I only partake when visitors arrive. I really need to get in the habit of treating myself every once in a while.

Deb N said...

Luanna - say it isn't true. Okay, I'll give you the scallops too! I do love scallops!