Monday, July 4, 2022

Oh, the travels I've enjoyed by Paty Jager

This month on RTG is all about vacations. There were many years in my adult life when a vacation was packing up the tent, hooking up to the old boat we'd bought, and putting a cooler and the kids into the pick-up and away we'd go for a long weekend with friends for boating, knee-boarding, and camping. At the time it was exhausting but the kids loved it and so did my husband. 

Now that the kids are grown up and having vacations with their kids and my husband has taken on a job that requires him to not be too far from the alfalfa fields in the summer, I've been taking a few vacations on my own or with friends. 

Though I have to say the trip we took to Nederlands (Holland) when the kids were still at home was a fun trip to explore another culture, one that is my husband's heritage. He met cousins, aunts, and uncles he'd not seen before. We had fun with his family and enjoyed the many day trips his relatives took us on.


This is a family photo we had taken at a photo shop in the Nederlands.
I couldn't find the photo album with better photos in it. 

I've jet boated the Snake River as research for a book. 


The jet boat I rode on.


A view of the snake river below Hells Canyon Dam.

I also spent a week in Iceland, which turned into fodder for another book.


A photo I took from the top of a church in Reykjavik.


This was bread baked in the ground by the geothermal hot springs in Fontana.


This was the place that started my mind conjuring up a scene for a book.
The Krysuvik mud pots and boiling pools.


And we met Icelandic crime fiction author Yrsa Siguoardottir. 

Most recently, I spent a week in Montana doing research for another book and this past weekend I attended a Powwow to gather more information about the Umatilla culture. 


This is a young grizzly bear we saw grubbing while in Montana. 


And this was the island resort I wanted to see for the next book I'm writing. 

But my favorite place to vacation, usually without hubby and to write, is the Oregon Coast. It is my happy place next to being home. 






Paty Jager is an award-winning author of 53 novels, 8 novellas, and short stories of murder mystery, western romance, and action-adventure. All her work has Western or Native American elements in them along with hints of humor and engaging characters.

Blog / WebsiteFacebook / Paty's Posse / Goodreads / Twitter / Pinterest   / Bookbub

/ Instagram / TikTok / Findaway Voices


5 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

The view of the ocean looks familiar . Do you have plans to spend some time there this summer?

Paty Jager said...

Hi Judith, No, I won't get to the beach until this fall. Summer is jam-packed with family-oriented events. But I hope to be at the beach for a week with one of my brothers and his family when I do get there. If I'm lucky I can get hubby to come along. ;)

Paty Jager said...

Forgot to click the follow-up comments.

Diana McCollum said...

Love your blog post!
The pictures were fun and beautiful!

Paty Jager said...

Thanks, Diana!