Monday, April 3, 2023

A Moment That is Priceless by Paty Jager

 I have been blessed to have met so many people through my writing. The writers, the fans, and the bookstore owners.

It has been over eight years ago that I was at a bookstore for a signing with two other authors. One of the authors and I clicked. Other than writing the main thing we had in common was our love of the Native American culture. She happened to be married to a Native American and lived on a reservation. 

We became friends and when I reached out to her for help with a new mystery series I was writing, she took me on a tour of the reservation and gave me insights into the people who lived there. Carmen Peone is a warm giving person and one who has blossomed into a wonderful writer. 

When we met she was writing historical fiction books for youth based on the Arrow Lakes culture. Now she is writing western romance focusing on a subject that is close to her-MMIW, Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women. She had a niece who was beaten to death by her husband.

Her western romance trilogy is about three women who live and overcome their abusive relationships. She and I not only bonded over writing and the Native American Culture but also over this cause. I also bring up this cause in two of my mystery series. 

I had the good fortune over the weekend to spend part of a day at a book signing with Carmen. She is so full or light and love that you can't help but smile when you are with her. But she also has deep passions and one of them is spreading the word about "No More Stolen Sisters." When she said she was wearing her shirt that was made for her by her daughter-in-law, I wore my MMIW shirt. 

Carmen and I

That first meeting with Carmen gave me the courage to write the books I wanted to write with Native American characters and her championing a cause that I also feel strongly about, just makes are friendship stronger. 

You never know when you meet someone how much they are going in improve your view on life. Thank you for enlightening me and making me a better person, Carmen. 

Captured Secrets

Book 1 of the Seven Tine Ranch Series
Sydney Moomaw is thrust into running their guest ranch in eastern Washington. She soon discovers that her parents were keeping secrets. Why is the ranch in serious debt? Why did her parents allow the insurance to lapse? Why didn’t they tell her about it? And where are their wills? Sydney needs to figure out a way to save the ranch she loves before her sister sells it. 

Photographer Trey Hardy arrives at the ranch the same day Sydney’s parents are killed. His working-vacation plans change when he decides to help Sydney save her ranch. But, his offers to help are met with resistance. Her stubbornness and independence are both maddening and alluring. 

Amid the tangle of finances, tensions with her sister, and her own grief and anger, Sydney begins receiving threatening notes. They must be from her abusive ex-husband, but he’s in jail. Isn’t he? When a teenager appears at the ranch insisting she is Sydney’s daughter, Sydney finally realizes she’s going to have to start trusting people to help her. Will Trey’s plan work? Can they save her beloved ranch? Can she really have the life she’s dreamed of?


Paty Jager is an award-winning author of 50+ novels, 8 novellas, and short stories of murder mystery, western romance, and action-adventure. All her work has Western or Native American elements in them along with hints of humor and engaging characters. This is what Mysteries Etc says about her Shandra Higheagle mystery series: “Mystery, romance, small town, and Native American heritage combine to make a compelling read.”  https://www.patyjager.net

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for loving my daughter, Carmen and featuring her new book

Judith Ashley said...

Paty, How wonderful to have found a kindred spirit through writing! I think one of the most heinous things about MMIW is that so few people even know about them. Thanks to both you and Carmen for spotlighting their plight.

I remember reading an email on the Rose City Romance Writer's email thread. Sarah Raplee wanted to meet up with someone and talk about writing, support each other although not a critique group. I drove across town to the Border's Book Store to meet up with her. From that first meeting Romancing The Genres group blog was born. We launched on May 1, 2011 and will be celebrating our 12th Blog-O-Versary next month.

Carmen Peone said...

Thank you Paty for the shout out! You are amazing. I always look forward to our time together. You have a huge heart and shine your own light.

Diana McCollum said...

Love the blog post!

I met my best friend at an RWA meeting 25 some odd years ago. She moved to KS 20 years ago but we still talk often and have visited back and forth over the years. We just clicked !!!

Carmen sounds like a really nice person, and I know you are Paty!

Sarah Raplee said...

Thank you for sharing the story of your beautiful friendship! It's amazing how much good can result from strong friendships.

Captured Secrets sounds like an amazing story. Can't wait to read it!

Lynn Lovegreen said...

How lovely to find a writing friend with the same passion! And thanks for the shoutout to MMIW--an important issue everyone should be aware of.