Wednesday, May 31, 2023

 



Carla Neggers

https://carlaneggers.com

 Happy anniversary!

 Twelve years for a blog is an amazing achievement. Congrats! As always, you’re celebrating in style.

 I know that sometimes I get so caught up in “doing” that I don’t take time to celebrate, but self-help gurus say it’s important. I learned recently that I’m receiving the 2023 Maine Crime Master Award at this year’s Maine Crime Wave writers conference on June 9-10. I’m thrilled, honored and excited, and I’m celebrating. Here’s a link to all the info. Join us if you can! https://www.mainewriters.org/maine-crime-wave




 I’m being recognized for my long career writing romantic suspense. I’d never heard the term when I wrote my very first book in my early twenties. The market for romantic suspense was nonexistent. Said one editor, “Romantic suspense will be back when pigs can fly.” Not terribly encouraging! But some of us reinvented the genre, doing our own thing, and The Venus Shoe https://carlaneggers.com/book/the-venus-shoe/ was eventually published by Avon Books. It’s available in eBook and soon will be back in print.

 I remember how excited I was when an agent called to tell me she loved the book and wanted to represent me. I wrote it when my daughter and first-born was an infant. I’d put her on the blotter next to me and type on my rented typewriter. Now she’s a history professor with a book of her own soon to be released, Live from the Underground: A History of College Radio.  https://www.amazon.com/Live-Underground-History-College-Radio/dp/1469677253/ref=sr_1_1?crid=WHB8XPT0D8BI&keywords=Jewell+history+of+college+radio&qid=1684398709&sprefix=jewell+history+of+college+radio%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-1

 Fast-forward to Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan in my Sharpe and Donovan series. A continuing couple with complicated jobs, families and friends, lots of suspense, set in Boston, Maine and Ireland. The first is Saint’s Gate, and I’m working on the next installment as well as other projects. In the years between The Venus Shoe and Rival’s Break,  https://carlaneggers.com/book/rivals-break/  my most recent Sharpe and Donovan novel, I’ve learned (or tried to learn!) not to overthink things and just write the story that’s in my head. One of my favorite writer quotes is from the late, great Mary Stewart: "’Storyteller’ is an old and honorable title and I’d like to lay claim to it.”

 Says it all. She had a long and remarkable career. I wonder if she celebrated along the way. I hope so!

 Bubbles tonight in honor of your 12 years. Thanks for having me here, and enjoy.

 

Carla

https://carlaneggers.com

 

6 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Carla, Thank you for helping us celebrate our 12 years as an international blog and sharing your remarkable journey as a storyteller, an old and honorable title. Congratulations on being awarded the 2023 Maine Crime Master Award! After reading your accomplishments, I can see it is well-deserved.

Love the picture of you with the might Atlantic (that's a guess) behind you. I love the ocean and after reading your post, scrolled back up to take in the view.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Congrats on your award, Carla! And I love that quote, too. Best wishes on the next chapter of your writing career.

Marcia King-Gamble said...

Thank you Carla for sharing your journey. What a wonderful career you have had. You have always given back and we so appreciate it. Thank you for the anniversary wishes!

Carla Neggers said...

Thanks! Good guess that's the Atlantic behind me. Southern coast of Maine. It's great to be here. I'm checking out lots of terrific posts.

Deb N said...

Carla - huge congrats. You'll have a great time at the conference in Maine. I know Susan Vaughan (a MaineRW member) will be there. I do remember meeting you when you came to Maine (quite a while back, I think.) Congrats to your now grown daughter on her book release, as well. Her topic sounds interesting. I live near Bowdoin College and do listen to their radio shows on occasion. Enjoy your Atlantic Ocean fix!

Carla Neggers said...

Thanks, Deb! I’m on a romantic suspense panel with Susan. :-) I’ve done a few events in Maine along the way and have always enjoyed them.