Monday, April 8, 2024

One! Two! Three! Go!

 By: Marcia King-Gamble


www.lovemarcia.com

What are the top three things you do well?

That question certainly provided food for thought and challenged me to really think.  I have never thought of myself as doing anything exceptionally well. I just do what I have to do. Several friends have said that I pile quite a bit into a twenty-four hour day. That I would agree.

What does that mean? It means I plan my day to get the max out of it. Am I a good multi-tasker? Yes, a bit of a perfectionist, well that too.

Each day I  get up at about 6:30 am. Coffee goes on while I shower. The dog is let out. While he’s doing his business I hose down the back deck or clean the pool. Sometimes I do both. The cat gets fed and then time permitting, I pay bills and write. Yes, I do both at times simultaneously. Next, I pack breakfast and lunch and head off to the day job. Usually, I am there an hour early. On my way, I read text (yes I know no texting and driving.)  At times I even respond.

My days at the day job are filled with meetings and counseling sessions. They’re filled with company gossip and putting out fires. At lunch, which I take late, I write. At the end of a nine-hour day, I  go grocery shopping, head for the gym, or get a pedicure. Then it’s let the dog out again, or walk him, (down to one now). I prepare dinner, and then go back to writing. I keep one eye on the TV if it is on.

Bedtime is midnight. Whatever I am reading is on the nightstand. I fall asleep four pages in. Then I get up next morning and it begins again.

Another thing I do well is proofreading, I can spot a misspelled word a mile away. I am good at crunching a thought that rambles on for a  page or two and turning it into succinct sentences. This ability has served me well in the editorial process. When I submit a completed manuscript, it’s pretty clean and leaves little for the editor to do (except correct punctuations.) I am horrible at that.



The third thing I do well is travel. That I have down to a science. Maybe it has to do with me once being a flight attendant, and being so junior, I was always on standby, bag packed, knowing I had to get to the airport in ninety minutes. I became an expert in doing a quick change in the back of a cab. Back then we wore pantyhose which often made dressing difficult.

Back to being good at traveling. I’m one who never complains about delays. They’re to be expected. I plan accordingly and leave enough time for unexpected situations. I do long flights well, I come armed with books, magazines, headsets, snacks, and what is needed to pass the time and stay comfortable.

I am a firm believer in staying at hotels that are aesthetically pleasing (not necessarily expensive). If I wouldn’t want to spend my day in that hotel, then it’s not worth booking into.    When I travel with a companion, I give each of us space to do what we want to do.

My typical day goes like this. Up early, off to the gym. Next is breakfast. If I'm cruising, I find a hideaway onboard conducive to writing. If I’m exploring a new city, I seldom do an organized tour.   I also avoid tourist traps like they’re the plague. I enjoy being on my own, meeting local people. I tend to drift off to where the locals go.

Dinner is my connecting time. If my partner and I decide we would rather sample different cuisines, we dine separately and meet up later. Not being joined by the hip makes for less arguments and a fulfilling  trip.

Oh, and there’s a fourth thing I do well.  I’m a great believer in having faith. Without faith we have nothing.

As George Michael says. “Gotta have Faith.”   Without it life can be pretty miserable.

HotShot Doc - Kindle Vella https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B0CB1PMHW9 This is my Kindle Vella story.





Instagram * Amazon * Website * Facebook * Twitter/X


5 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

All I can say is "Wow!!!" You get so much done on 6 1//2 hours of sleep! Love your idea about where to stay when traveling. Although there is one place on the Oregon Coast with a view to die for that I prefer staying at than a better kept place that has a so-so view.

Marcia King-Gamble said...

Yes, I have a pretty busy day. Thankfully, I have always bene high energy.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

That's amazing to do all those things on a regular basis--although I have to tell you not to text and drive.

Marcia King-Gamble said...

Lol Lynn I remind myself of that all the time. No texting and driving.

Deb N said...

WOW - I am worn out just reading your post. Although, in my "younger" working days, I did similar. I had an hour and a half commute to work, so I was usually up at 4 a.m. writing, then shower, premade breakfast to eat on the drive. I used to make a veggie frittata in a big pan, cut it like a pizza, and eat a wedge wrapped in toast or a tortilla for breakfast on my drive. On the weekend, I would make a big pot or pan of whatever...and reheat a portion each night for dinner. Otherwise, I was too tired to cook by the time I got home - sometimes at 7 or 8 p.m. DO NOT miss those days.