Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Triskaidekaphilia and Positive Change

 


I bet you thought I spelled the word "triskaidekaphobia" wrong. The truth is, not everyone hates or fears the number 13. And that's a good thing, because RtG  plans to make 13 look good 2024. This blog started 13 years ago, and I've been here almost from day 1, something almost impossible for me to believe. 

Whew. 


For people who suffer from  triskaidekaphobia, a thirteenth anniversary might be considered scary. They consider the number 13 to be synonymous with bad luck.  Some point at the explosion that almost wrecked the Apollo 13 lunar spacecraft in 1970. (Although it did return to Earth safely.) Thirteen guests at a dinner party is considered very unlucky.  A few fearsome folks worry when they find their hotel room is on the 13th floor or their plane seat is in the 13th row. Some even refuse to get behind the wheel on Friday the 13th. 


Statistics says the number makes no real difference. But many triskaidekaphobics, including author Stephen King, don't need statistical evidence believe the number is truly cursed. Anything that scares him should leave the rest of us terrified, right?


Then along comes Taylor Swift, born on Dec 13, 1989. True, that was on a Wednesday, not a Friday. But she happily celebrated her 13th birthday on Friday the 13th. This year, 2024, she will reach 35 on a Friday the 13th.  Romancing The Genres and the Genre-istas celebrate our own 13th anniversary this year. Swift makes 13 cool, and I'm happy to be joining the Swifties  of the world in rocking the number with joy instead of fear.


Don't be frightened by any number.  The negative superstition about 13 is pretty much an ancient European thing that we in America simply inherited. Then we enhanced the fear factor by making movies like Friday The 13th. In many other parts of the world there are other traditions where the number is considered neutral, if not lucky. There are people who believe the Number 13 has the ability to bring about positive changes, and symbolizes love and compassion.


Yeah RtG!  Positive Change!


Readers, can't promise you 13 more years, but I will continue blogging here about anything that hits me as long as I can. As for you, whether you are a long time reader, or brand new to the blog, welcome (back). Hope to see you again this year. And I'd love to hear where you stand about the big 13.

3 comments:

Diana McCollum said...

Friday the 13ths don't bother me.

Walking under a ladder? nope I don't do that.

Black cats don't bother me, and I've owned several. Spilt salt? Take a pinch and toss it over my shoulder.

Great post!

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Nice post, B. A.! May this 13th be a good one for you and RtG.

Judith Ashley said...

Barbara, one of the origins of Friday the 13th being "bad" was that was the day the Knights Templar were arrested or maybe it is the day some were burned at the stake. However, that was in Europe many many decades ago. Nope, I did not google anything to make this more accurate. Just taking some time to let you know that I've read your post, enjoyed it, and am thankful you are blogging at RTG!