Thursday, September 19, 2024

Second Times Around? By Gail Eastwood

One of the beauties of increasing age is that we can see the horizon. (I’m resisting the temptation to joke about being over the hill here….). The perspective helps us to focus on what things we still want to accomplish in our lives, what things really matter to us. If we are lucky, or determined (or both), second times around are one of the gifts that can come with aging. I’m on my second time around with this writing career thing. If you count my very first writing stint as a journalist, you might even say this is my third time around!

I wrote romances for the Signet Regency line between 1994-2002. Life interfered—my dad died, my mom, my husband, and my younger child all developed different but serious health complications, and every time I tried to get back to my writing another new crisis seemed to occur. I did not write another new book until 2018.

Do I wish I could have those 16 years of lost writing time back? Of course. But the only direction to go is forward! Recently I’ve been telling people that my “biological clock” is ticking again, and since I’m well past any child-bearing age, it surprises them (at least if they are not fellow aging writers). What could I possibly mean?

It means I am aware that my brain is not as sharp and quick as it used to be, and over time that’s likely to get worse. Writing novels becomes harder, because there is so much we rely on our brains to keep track of as we go along. What was the hero’s younger sister’s name, and did I mention her way back in chapter three? (I hadn’t planned on her existence.) Did my heroine already explain her resistance to the hero, in the same words, 50 pages ago?

The recall used to be pretty easy. Now I am inventing new ways to help myself keep track of everything –more spreadsheets, different kinds of timelines, etc., not just the chapter outline I’ve always relied on in the past. A time will eventually come when I can no longer produce “book babies” well, or even at all. But in the meantime, I still have a long list of stories I want to tell!

During the gap in my career, the book business turned upside down. The Signet line closed, my editor retired, ebooks were invented, and self-publishing became a thing anyone could do. Bookshops closed by the hundreds (thousands?) and the behemoth of Amazon became a global online book warehouse. Moving forward meant mastering a lot of new technologies. But with them came a kind of joyful freedom in creating fuller stories without the restraints of publishers’ “product line” mentality. I actually love self-publishing my books and having total control over the stories, the covers, the deadlines, even though it is a lot more work!

I think a lot of people seize the chance to reset their lives for second rounds, whether that means a new career or some other new phase. One part-time job I used to juggle along with writing was managing a church office. A pastor I worked with there had been a nurse practitioner. As she got older she decided that she really wanted to go to seminary and become a clergywoman. So she did! All of the years she had spent in nursing certainly enriched her abilities as a pastor. Yes, the late start meant she had a shorter career in the church than in her previous profession, and she eventually retired, but not before she accomplished some very worthy milestones in her ministry, such as leading our small church to add an entire new sanctuary to our existing building, an amazing feat of faith.

Both of the lead characters in my newest historical Regency romance, His Lady to Love, are attempting to redirect their lives towards new pursuits, careers of their hearts, so maybe this theme has been in the back of my mind for a while! My heroine, a young widow, wants to use her new freedom to become a published artist. My war-weary hero, an ex-army officer, wants to become a clergyman. Falling in love will be an obstacle neither of them is looking for! Especially heroine Lissie, whose late husband has left her a substantial inheritance to free her to do as she pleases. In this time period, a married woman and everything she owned belonged to her husband. Trying to protect her legacy and preserve her independence make Lissie very wary when she finds herself attracted to our hero!

I’m trying to teach myself to write faster (and do fewer other things!) so the stories on my list will get told. They’re like unborn children waiting for their turn! I’m grateful that even though I have some health issues now, none of them prevent me from pursuing my second round at doing what I love.

Are you in a second round at this stage in your life, or do you have one in mind when you look ahead and see the horizon?

Tales of Little Macclow

Tales of Little Macclow:

The Tales of Little Macclow series is set in a small village off the beaten path, where ancient traditions are still celebrated and people care about each other–ordinary people living out their lives (or just passing through). How does Love enter into the lives of those who are lonely? Or even those who aren’t seeking it at all? And–is it getting a special boost from a mysterious source found only in Little Macclow?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FPS69P5

 Award-winning author Gail Eastwood started writing stories as soon as she learned to put words together on paper, and blames Beatrix Potter and A.A. Milne for making her a devoted Anglophile at a very early age. After detours into journalism and rare books, she finally found her path writing romantic stories set in Regency England. Her current series, Tales of Little Macclow, is about people in a small village in Derbyshire instead of the elegant ballrooms of London.

Website: www.gaileastwoodauthor.com

Newsletter: https://eepurl.com/gbknuH  (get a free short story!)

Amazon: www.amazon.com/Gail-Eastwood/e/B001KDU86M

Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/gaileastwoodauthor

Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/gail-eastwood

Blog at: www.riskyregencies.com

Facebook (page): www.facebook.com/gaileastwoodauthor

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LadyCatherinesSalon/

 

(Picture credits: Pixabay.com and the author)

No comments: