Saturday, June 25, 2011

INTERVIEW: Ruth Kaufman, 2011 GH Finalist in Inspirational Romance

Ruth Kaufman

Entry Title, category, year:  
At His Command, inspirational, 2011 finalist 

Were you the overall Winner that year? 
Don't know yet! :-) 

Website and/or Blog Links:

Why did you decide to enter your manuscript in the GH Contest?  
A friend had been suggesting I turn a historical into an inspirational because that's how she sold.  My goal was to finish in time for the GH, so that was the first contest I entered it in.

Where were you and what were you doing when you got the GH call?  
I was at home.  As the morning went on,more and more finalists posted about getting calls so my hope of getting one was fading fast. My phone rang just before noon.  I knew the caller because I've been on RWA's board of directors.  So I said something like, "I hope you're not calling me today of all days for some random reason."  And she told me that AHC had finalled.  Of course I jumped up and down and started calling friends and posting!  

How has being a GH Finalist/Winner affected you as a writer?  
For one thing, it's a shot of validation...5 random judges scored your ms high enough to put it in the top 10%.  For another, being a GH finalist is a great credential to have and seems to open doors to garner agent/editor interest.

6 comments:

Valerie Bowman said...

Love how you hoped your BOD friend wasn't just calling about something else. Congrats on a well-deserved final, Ruth! See you in NYC!

Sarah Raplee said...

Ruth, did you find it difficult to turn your Historical into an Inspirational? The task seems daunting, but you obviously got it right! Congratulations and good luck. And thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

Robin Weaver, Author said...

Thanks for blogging, Ruth. And best of luck at the GH Awards ceremony!

Judith Ashley said...

Congratulations and best of luck this weekend, Ruth. I think being a finalist in any contest would be a shot of validation but being a finalist (and possible winner) in the Golden Heart? Wow!

Perseverance, listening to suggestions from others, and then going for it...thanks for sharing your story.

B. A. Binns said...

Ruth, you've done so much over the years, and helped me and others in our chapter - my fingers and toes are all crossed for you.

B. A. Binns said...

Didn't I tell you you would win? Congratulations.