Thursday, October 6, 2011

It's My Party...So Turn It Up!

What I've learned in blogging so far...

1. If you want people to arrive, you gotta do more than decorate. They have to get an invitation and something to look forward to first. (It's my party and I'll cry if I want to.)

How do you do this? Well, you post the link. Everywhere. On Facebook. On Yahoogroups. On Twitter, your blog, your LinkedIn smoke signals off your rooftop can't hurt either.


2. What to look forward to? You! Er...me. Only louder, funnier, sassier. (She's a super freak, super freak...Yow.)

Because it is a party.

Online, I get to unleash the inner Amber, the side that gets suppressed around the kids, the husband, the PG workplace. I can be a diva, a clown, a temptress or just geeky ole me. The key is knowing who that me is in relationship to my books and then delivering it. 

3. Get real. (Get down, get down...)

How?

Well, I focus on what I love. Books (duh), movies (sometimes), and music!

Since I heavily rely on music--okay, okay. I'm totally co-dependent on my iPod. And since I am, I figured why not have a music themed day? That's how Scene Song Saturday at AmberScottBooks.com was born. Every week, I post a video for a song that I wrote certain scenes while listening to. It's now a fan fave!

4. Show up! (I'm coming up so you'd better get this party started...)

There is no party if the host/ess isn't there front and center interacting with fans, making comments, running contests and more.

I know I have a ton more to learn and I thank you all for patiently coming along the way with me in my sometimes rough road getting here.

Now...Let's dance!
:}Amber Scott

3 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Hi Amber,

Thanks for sharing your take on being a successful blogger. I'm getting the strong sense of the importance of putting myself out there. Jessa Slade (RTG guest on 08/27) talked about an author personna and Genre-ista Kris Tualla in her Tuesday post talked about the importance of being gracious even in the face of rudeness. You, too, are talking about our role as 'hostess' on our blog. I'm learning so much from everyone and feeling much more confident on what I can do to be successful! Thank you...

Diana McCollum said...

I love the analogy of a party! Great post!

Sarah Raplee said...

"I focus on what I love." Great advice for all us newbies. Loved this post!