Tuesday, October 11, 2011

To blog, or not to blog...


Blogging is…

…fun
…educational
…wonderful
…enlightening
…surprising
…challenging
…terrible

Wait… what? Where did “terrible” come from? I started with fun and ended with terrible? What gives?

You may think I am complaining, but no, I am not. Blogging can be a terror. When I was new to the blog universe, I panicked every time I posted, as if I were walking the plank on a pirate ship. Now if Johnny Depp were there to rescue me, that’d be a whole other thing.

When I ventured into blogging several years ago, it was with the goal to amuse myself first, amuse others second. So the blog on “Ramblings From My Mind” was born. It’s just personal trivia, events that don’t mean a whole lot in the big scheme of things, but probably there are people out there that can relate: a spouse’s weird idea of a birthday present; an encounter with a pushy customer and a clueless store clerk; my cat hiding my makeup brushes.

As a result of finding topics that are fun for me, it became enjoyable to me, and it became enjoyable to others. Most of my fans react on social networking venues, or they email me directly so my blog’s comments are usually next to none. I don’t mind. I know they read. That’s what matters.

Much like acting classes and stepping out onto that stage the first time, it got easier.  The hardest parts were those first steps, putting myself out there on the stage of life. As authors we can generate an imaginary character to talk in our blogs, removing our personal fears and emotions, thereby making it easier all around. The Sam that exists in my blog is just a part of my online persona, a very limited edition of the real SamMarie Ashe.

Practice over and over, read them out loud. If your listening audience laughs or tears up, that’s the reaction we seek. And that… is what removes ‘terrifying’ from my blogging list today.

Enjoy blogging, it’s a lot of fun!

 © SamMarie Ashe 2011 All Rights Reserved

5 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Good advice, SamMarie. It's very important to make sure your post is the best you can make it. Kris Tualla talks about that in her guest post this Saturday. And, blogging can be a lot of fun! especially, for me, when shared with the Genre-istas.

Sarah Raplee said...

Your posts are always funny and engaging, Sam. You sound so confident! It's comforting to know that all of us are nervous when we start out.

Thank you for encouraging me and Judith to take the plunge!

B. A. Binns said...

I'm glad you go ahead and put yourselfout there. I always chuckle when I read one of your posts.

Paty Jager said...

I think the most read blogs are the ones where the writer just free writes with nothing much particular in mind and lets others see the world through their eyes and humor.

I guess I should start picking one day a week to do that. Maybe after I finish the Monday Christmas Novella excerpts. a

Always enlightening and fun!

SamMarie Ashe said...

You all have good points - make it FUN! If you don't make it fun for you, it won't get done.

I'm really slacking on my personal blog due to personal at-home things, but will catch up, I know it! *grin* I have a pad of paper in my bag always for those "Oh I HAVE to put that into a blog" moments. It's amazing how many can occur - and are forgotten - if I don't write them down at that time.

Thanks ladies! You all are great!!! *waves*