OCTOBER
THRILLER ROMANCE


10-21 Sarah Raplee – Author of “Blindsight” Psychic Agents Series, Book One

Monday, November 14, 2011

Slay Bells


Slay Bells by Kate Kingsbury
Berkley Prime Crime Mystery
ISBN 9780425218402


There are so many good Christmas books I could not pick just one. I was going to talk about one of my favorite holiday movies, LOVE ACTUALLY but Kris Tualla beat me to it. :) Then I discovered a new mystery series. I'm in the process of creating two series that are cozy mysteries so I am reading those more than romances at the moment. I had heard someone mention Kate Kingsbury and the next time I was in the library I found SLAY BELLS. Here is the back cover blurb.

To ring in the holiday season, Cecily Sinclair Baxter is hosting a party at the Pennyfoot Hotel for the children of Badgers End to meet Father Christmas. Unfortunately, the jolly old man fails to appear. Instead, his body is discovered - clearly a victim of foul play - and his helper has had a fatal fall.

The police believe the two men had a tragic rooftop tangle, but Cecily has her doubts. The murder weapon is still missing, and since no one has left the hotel since the crime, she's making a list of suspects - and checking it twice.

Christmas is one of my favorite holidays; I love the traditions, the carols, and the spirit. Ms. Kingsbury manages to convey the true spirit of the season all the while solving a mystery. I especially like the way the victim is discovered. However, I do not want to spoil it for those who haven't read it. So, if you want to know more, grab a copy of SLAY BELLS. Published in 2006 SLAY BELLS is a good addition to your holiday reading.

4 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

Elaine,

Slay Bells sounds like a fun mystery. I'm curious to find out how Ms. Kingsbury handled things to keep the spirit of the season intact. Guess I better add this book to my To Be Read pile!

Sarah

Diana Mcc. said...

I'd like to know how she kept the Christmas spirit joyful while solving a murder. Interesting!

Judith Ashley said...

I'll make it three in a row that are curious as to how Ms. Kingsbury kept the true spirit of Christmas while solving a mystery. Thanks for letting me know about this one.

ElaineCharton said...

You're welcome ladies I hope you enjoy it,