Thursday, December 5, 2013

Where has the year gone?


The Holiday Season is upon us, yippee. 

I love Christmas. Why? Because it’s the start of summer holidays in New Zealand. There is something about the sun shinning, the warm weather, colorful gardens, fresh fruit and vegetables, and blue skies, that lifts my spirits.
The urge to get out walking again has just struck me. I put on my walking gear, grab my Dictaphone and walk through the vineyard neighboring my property. It’s amazing what my characters say to me when I’m out in the fresh air.
The latest conversation is with characters from my soon to be released Regency romance, A Kiss of Lies. Even though I’ve finished the book, its #1 in the six book Disgraced Lord’s series, and all the characters intermingle in the other six books.  I’m currently working on book #3, A Touch of Passion.
At the moment Christian and Sarah are discussing their missing colleague Grayson Devlin, Viscount Blackwood. They’re worried about him. I’m laughing because I know where Grayson is and what’s happening to him - he's off saving a damsel in distress. Book #3 in the series, A Touch of Passion reveals all.

I’ll share a snippet from A KISS OF LIES – 14 January 2014 (Random House Loveswept release). It’s Christian’s first meeting with Sarah….

Her vocabulary and demeanor spoke of maturity. As he assessed her, his whole body ached with the most basic human need.

He wanted her. Not just her body, but more . . .

He wanted the dream he’d promised himself on the battlefields of Europe. A beautiful wife and family, a home, some shreds of normality, a few children to justify the future and to give him a tangible reason for having put himself through the horror of war.

He watched her nervously lick her lips. His groin tightened. He imagined the sleek wetness around him . . .

He tried to cross his legs, but hit his knee on the underside of the desk. Reality returned.

He’d be lucky if even a governess agreed to be his wife. The allure of his wealth and title meant that a desperate few still approached him. But he refused to marry a woman who’d have him only because of his title, and then lie rigid and cold beneath him in the marriage bed.

This woman unsettled him because she looked at him differently. She looked at him as if he were a kindred soul, as if she understood his pain and wanted to share it.

Good God. She looked at him as if he were whole

There is a FREE chapter prequel on my website for you to read which explains why Christian is so taken with Sarah….

Read some early reviews (it's in NetGalley if you're a blogger)

People must think me mad when they see me walking along, talking into my little handheld machine.  There is no excuse not to go walking now, as I can work while I walk. I bet there aren’t many occupations where you can say that!

I'm on deadline again, and I've just moved house, and city! I'm really looking forward to a relaxing family break over Christmas and New Year. I have over 603 books on my kindle, yet to be read, and I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms.  So, around Christmas you'll find me lying by my pool enjoying a fabulous book. Maybe I'll do a bit of swimming and of course I'll be out on my daily walk with my characters, talking into a small silver machine....

What’s you favorite time of year and why? What will you be doing over the Christmas break? What books have you got lined up to read?

I'll wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year now, as I won’t be posting until the first week of January 2014. Where has the year gone? Have a safe and fun holiday! Waving from a very warm New Zealand.

5 comments:

Shobhan Bantwal said...

The start of summer sounds wonderful to many of us living in the U.S. Happy Holidays!

Paty Jager said...

We had -4 degrees here this morning so I would love to be in New Zealand about now! ;) I've tried to talk into a recorder but my brain goes completely blank when I click the button. I really should work on that because I love to walk and usually do brainstorming as I traipse about the property.

Your book sounds like a good read. Good luck with sales!

Judith Ashley said...

Hi Bronwen, You've talked about moving to your place where your view includes the vineyards and the water. So glad that goal of yours has been realized.

It may be -4 where Paty lives. It's 16 degrees here. Much colder than normal and way to cold for my comfort especially since this is the second bitter cold hit and we aren't even at the coldest part of the year!

When it isn't quite this cold, I love Winter and Solstice because it is a time to reflect and then set my sights on the next turn of the wheel.

I've got new books from a fantastic Kobo Event as well as other books I've picked up along the way. Right now I'm reading Paty Jager's "Spirit of the Sky". It's the third in a great trilogy and I'm enjoying the time I sneak away from the busyness of life and get lost in her story.

Next year I'll have some new Bronwen Evans' books to read, yeah!

Bronwen Evans said...

Hi Ladies, I am not envious of -4 but 16? I'm assuming it's F not C 16C is okay for us....

Have a lovely family time over the next few weeks.

take care
Bron

Diana McCollum said...

I enjoyed your excerpt. Sounds like a great story! Spring and fall are my favorite times of the year. Summer can be way too hot and winter way too cold! Right now in Bend, OR we have 7" of snow and minus 5 degrees! Needless to say, playing in the snow is not going to happen today. Happy Holidays to you and yours.