Friday, December 12, 2014

What to do with left over food?


We had a fantastic Thanksgiving Day and weekend. Thanksgiving dinner consisted of twenty-one people. It was crazy, zany fun! I was so tired the next day I couldn't remember who helped me peel potatoes!

Everyone brought food and we ended up having lots of items we never opened. We gathered up all the unopened food and donated it to the Bethlehem Inn in Bend, OR.

I tell you this because we did miss one giant container of sour cream. Six cups worth of sour cream!

With only my Mother, my husband and I in our house hold, I seriously doubt we will eat the whole container of sour cream. So I’m on the search for recipes to use up the sour cream. If you have a favorite you’d like to share that would be awesome.

Here’s one from me to you for the holidays:

Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Recipe courtesy of Ina Garten

Total Time:1 hr 40 min
Prep:10 min
Inactive:30 min                                                           
Cook:1 hr

Yield:8 to 10 servings
Ingredients

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar                                 
3 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups sour cream
2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the streusel:
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
For the glaze:
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons real maple syrup
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.

Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 4 to 5 minutes, until light. Add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla and sour cream. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.

For the streusel, place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and butter in a bowl and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a crumble. Mix in the walnuts, if desired.

Spoon half the batter into the pan and spread it out with a knife. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup streusel. Spoon the rest of the batter in the pan, spread it out, and scatter the remaining streusel on top. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.

Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Carefully transfer the cake, streusel side up, onto a serving plate. Whisk the confectioners' sugar and maple syrup together, adding a few drops of water if necessary, to make the glaze runny. Drizzle as much as you like over the cake with a fork or spoon.

2001, Barefoot Contessa Parties!, All Rights Reserved

Advertisement
© 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved.

Hope you enjoy this wonderful recipe from the Barefoot Contessa!!
Do you have a special recipe using sour cream?  Please share!


HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Photo credits baking lady-/www.123rf.com/profile_lammeyer'>lammeyer / 

9 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

Great idea to donate leftover food to a shelter or food bank!

Since I'm allergic to dairy, I got rid of my sour cream recipes. That coffee cake sure looks good!

Kai Strand, Author said...

I've been making my hamburger stroganoff so long that I don't have the written recipe anymore, but it's a household fave, so I'll try to recreate it from memory.

Brown 1 lb ground beef, 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms, 1/2 a chopped onion. Add 3 tbsp flour, one can cream of mushroom soup, pepper to taste. Heat through. Remove from heat, stir in 1/2 cup sour cream. Serve over (or stir into) egg noodles.

Abigail Owen said...

One of my favs and very easy:

Poppyseed Chicken Casserole:

1.5-2 lbs cooked & shredded chicken
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 8 oz can sour cream
Ritz crackers
1 stick melted butter
poppyseeds (you determin how much)

1. Stir the chicken, soup, and sour cream together
2. Add poppyseeds until you have the mix you want (I like a lot)
3. Crush 1-2 packages of Ritz crackers over the top
4. Drizzle with melted butter
5. Bake @ 350 degrees until bubbling

Abigail Owen said...

Oh! And I also add sour cream to my banana bread recipes (any of them). Makes it more moist. Only about 1/2 cup.

Karen Duvall said...

Sounds yummy, Diana! I like to use leftover sour cream in just about anything that requires milk since we rarely have any milk in the fridge. Sour cream in scrambled eggs and omelets makes them super fluffy and delicious.

Diana McCollum said...

Wow! What great recipes and ideas! Thank you all so much! Wishing each and everyone of you a wonderful Holiday season!

Judith Ashley said...

Very good idea to share the unopened food with a shelter.

When I read 20+ people, I cringed. Even with everyone being someone I know and love, that is so overwhelming to even contemplate - no wonder you were exhausted the next day!

Now that my granddaughters are off on their own, I host no family gatherings over the holidays. The most I do is a BBQ outside in the summer - people come and go because I schedule it from like 2 - 6 p.m. It's better for me if everyone is spread out.

I admire your ability to pull off a humongous family gathering.

The only thing I use sour cream in is dips for chips - mainly because I just don't do much in the kitchen any more.

Shannon said...

I know this will sound bizarre, but mix in a tsp of vanilla extract and sugar to taste...makes an amazing topping for apple pancakes.

Marie Harte said...

I love that you donated the extra food. Great thinking, and so generous! 21 people. Man, that's a lot of guests. :)
Oh, and that sour cream cake sounds delicious. Dare I request that you make it and bring it on Tuesday?
*grin*