Wednesday, November 11, 2015

I need a little help this holiday season

Hi everyone! I am YA author B A Binns , writer of contemporary and realistic fiction for teens. My tagline tells you what I am about - Stories of Real Boys Growing Into Real Men - and the people who love them. 



I'll start by saying I'm the wrong person for this month's topic - the Holidays. I totally understand Scrooge. (The Bah, Humbug part that is. I can only wish I had a pile of money to sit on) I've never been much on the season to be jolly thing, even as a child.

In last month's post I explained that Halloween is my major holiday. It's also the beginning of my down-time. I suffer from SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder. I have the lights, my doctor has me taking extra vitamin D, nothing makes me care all that much. I'm hoping my new granddaughter will do something, but I've already done my Christmas shopping for her. The best part was the near empty parking lot, the empty stores, filled shelves, and clear streets for driving. Now I only have to wait for next month to make the delivery and another Christmas is over and done with.

Whew!!

Except, this year I want to change things. I haven't read a holiday-themed romance in years.  Many of my fellow Genre-istas write holiday romances that are available this time of year. Probably almost all read them. Then there is me.  (I wrote a piece of Christmas-themed flash fiction a few years ago, I'm not a total buzz kill.) The truth is I love happy couples. So I'm making an early New Year's resolution to find some good ones to read.

I am hoping readers of this blog will help me.  I would love to hear some recommendations of holiday books to read.  I promise to take a look at all you come up with, so leave comments on Thanksgiving (are there any) or Christmas romance stories.  Bonus points for Hanukkah or Kwanza romances.  I'm really hoping you can pass me on some suggestions that I can use, especially if some help lift me from this Scrooge spirit.

So let me know. Leave suggestions for me in the comments.

Oh, and, happy holidays.
















7 comments:

Mindy Hardwick said...

I have a new sweet contemporary romance coming out on Nov 21. The holiday is Thanksgiving. It is called Sweetheart Cottage and can be pre ordered on Amazon until the 21st when it releases.

B. A. Binns said...

Thanksgiving, it does exist! Thanks for the info Mindy. I'm heading off to Amazon to check it out.

Diana McCollum said...

I don't read a lot of holiday themed books. Usually I'm too busy during the holidays to read them and I'm not in the mood for Christmas stories in October! The only one I read in the past few years was The First Love Cookie Club. by Lori Wilde. A sweet romance that takes place in a small town during Christmas week. I did really enjoy it.

B. A. Binns said...

If you loved it, Diana, I'll take that as a recommendation. Especially since Lori Wilde taught the very first Romance Writing class that I took. A relaxing sweet romance would help me over my "blah" hump.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you are a victim of S.A.D. This is a hard time of year for many people as the light gets less and less, but for S.A.D. suffers it can become pretty unbearable. Most people I know go south for at least the darkest part of the year. Hang in there.

Windtree Press has several holiday themed books. Most of them are around Christmas themes, but a couple are around New Year's. For example, my own The Hogmanay Stranger is a New Year's story in Scotland and features a homeless boy. It is short and inexpensive. Check out windtreepress.com for additional holiday stories--from shorts to novellas to anthologies.

You asked for Jewish stories. Here are two you might enjoy. Eight Tiny Flames by Crista McHugh, part of the A Very Scandalous Holiday anthology. It's set during World War II, in the 1940s. Also, Light the Flames by Sarah Wendell (of Smart Bitches, Trashy Books) came out in 2014.

As for other Holidays--Kwanzaa, Bodhi Day, Winter Solstice, I'm sure there are books out there. YOu just need to look.

Judith Ashley either has written or is writing one for Winter Solstice. Maybe she will chime in here with her book name.

B. A. Binns said...

I've heard a lot about WIndtree press, I'll take a look at what they offer. And I will keep looking for others. Thanks for the suggestions, Maggie.

Judith Ashley said...

B.A. while I don't have S.A.D. I do have the opposite. Too much sun and I'm in the dumps!!! Add heat and humidity and I just want to hole up in an air conditioned place and stay there until the rains come!

While my books are not focused on holidays, each does 'celebrate' at least one of the sabbats. My November 6th post gives more details. "Lily" which is the first in the series, celebrates Winter Solstice as does #2 "Elizabeth".

May the smile on your baby granddaughter's face light up your life.