Friday, April 20, 2018

My Funny Fowl Friends

...or maybe I should call them feathered fiends. If you're not a fan of birds, this is not the post you're looking for...
Hi, I'm Pippa Jay, author of scifi and supernatural stories to engage your emotions. And these are my chickens.
"What this shiny thing you holding, Hand That Feeds?"
Well, that's two of them. Saffron and Jasmine, giving my phone the eye.
2018's must-have headgear
This one is Kala, who decided my eldest's head was the best vantage point to check out her new garden. Lucky we only have bantams rather than full sized chickens, huh? We think she has a vision problem because she tends to look up at you with one eye, then the other. It's a bit...intimidating, especially when you think their ancestors were meat eating dinosaurs who liked eating the small squeaky things that were our ancestors at the time. I'm sure she's not thinking of anything like that...right?
"What are you, big tall thing?"
And this poor soggy little girl is Effie, who had to take a bath recently.
Fortunately the lovely sunshine we've had this week soon dried her back out.
She's sunbathing, not dead - promise!
When the girls choose to take a bath themselves, they tend to opt for earth rather than water. I made them this dust bath a couple of weeks ago - before that they just used our flowerbeds much to the detriment of the poor flowers and shrubs - but fortunately they took to this one quite happily!

And if that doesn't make you smile, how about my chicks last year taking their first bath?

"Are you laughing at me?"
Or maybe my chicks literally flying the coop at a few days old?


My feathered friends always manage to come up with something to make me smile, and of course there's always the added bonus of keeping chickens as pets...
I hope you enjoyed meeting some of my chooks.
"That's it?!"

3 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

LOVED meeting your 'chooks', Pippa! They are enormously entertaining, aren't they?

Judith Ashley said...

What a fun post, Pippa! Yes, I smiled at Every Picture and video.

Pippa Jay said...

Thank you. :)