Friday, January 18, 2019

My Best Book of 2018 #superhero #romance

Hi, I'm Pippa Jay, author of sci-fi and supernatural stories to engage your emotions. I had a really bad year reading wise in 2018. I started a few books but didn't finish - not through the fault of the book. Several were non-fiction, most not romance. Mostly the few I did read were old, familiar favourites from Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams and Barry Hughart.

So when I saw the first topic for 2019 would be my fave read from the previous year, I thought I'd better try a bit harder. I read two shorts/novellas, one that had been on my to-read list for a while, and the latest release from one of my auto-buy authors. And the auto-buy won.

I'm a huge fan of Liana Brooks' Heroes and Villains series, so I snapped up the latest soon after its release in October. I know I will get a sweet superhero romance with caring heroes and sassy heroines (regardless of which might be the super). The Polar Terror is a side story in the main series, and the hero is viewed as a bit of an anti-hero by name. I liked the idea of someone who could be seen either way by the general public. The heroine is a sceptic, the only person in the book who isn't convinced...
Kaddy Chaak’s career is in jeopardy, her social life is non-existent, and instead of spending the holidays at home with everyone she loves, she’s in the hospital with her chronically-ill, probably-dying nephew Everett, wondering if her dead sister could have fixed this. The one bright note in an otherwise bleak winter is a potential visit from the Polar Terror, the only super villain north of the 66th parallel, to make little Everett’s hospital wish come true.  

Kaddy’s not really expecting him to show. At best, she expects a lackluster cosplayer with a half-hour to spare.  

What she gets is a swoon-worthy stranger full of secrets, who might just sweep her off her feet–and maybe help her leave the past behind, once and for all.  

***
As always, a sweet, heart-wrenching yet also heart-warming romance with some superhero action thrown in that earned a 4* rating from me and a highly recommended.
Maybe this year I'll get a bit more reading done. 😱


3 comments:

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Sounds like a great book, Pippa!

Judith Ashley said...

Glad we poked you to getting a couple of books read. I may try out Liana Brooks. Her story "The Polar Terror" sounds interesting.

Sarah Raplee said...

This sounds like a really fun series, Pippa. Thank you for the introduction.