Saturday, January 19, 2019

My Sanctuaries and Safe Havens: Writing and Spiritual Practices

By Judith Ashley

Writing has been a refuge, a safe haven for me since I started writing fiction in 2002. At that point, I didn’t even have a writing process nor did I have any idea of things like genres or tropes.

What I did have were stories that infiltrated my night and day dreams. Scenes so real I could hear, see, smell and taste the people and food in the stories. My body recognized the emotions of my characters so I laughed and I cried. My jaw clenched, my stomach churned, my lungs seized right along with my characters. And when all seemed lost, the prayers for strength, for guidance, for protection appeared on the page.

The Sacred Women’s Circle series shows the power of spiritual practices to support us on our life’s journey.

What do we do when we are no longer comforted by the religious customs in which we were raised?

Like myself, my characters created their own spiritual path. They took bits and pieces from the religions they grew up with that still brought them peace. But they went a step further and created their own path. Because they are all equal in this sacred circle, they respected each other’s individual practice while forming The Circle’s foundational traditions.

As you read their stories, you’ll see the differences between them, what they rely on during difficult times. You will also have a road map if you want to create your own sacred circle.

What’s the difference between a sacred women’s circle and a women’s circle? Answer this question and you’ll know:

What would your life be like if you were unconditionally accepted, unconditionally supported and unconditionally loved?

What happened to me when I first talked to traditional publishers about my series? The feedback I got that was consistent was that I needed to build conflict in The Circle. In other words, the women had to have disagreements between them. A good old-fashioned fight, with members taking sides, etc. I was told there wasn’t a market for a story where women got along, believed in each other, supported, accepted and encouraged each other. All stories needed conflict. The reality that each of the women had a major life conflict going on in their personal life outside The Circle wasn’t enough.

Stonehenge
The good thing about that feedback is that I stopped and really took a look at my stories. The core principle or foundation in a sacred women’s circle is that we will always be accepted, always be safe no matter what. The Circle is our Haven, our Sanctuary, our place to rest, to heal, to restore ourselves before going forth to do battle in the world once again.

What battles do these women face? Domestic violence, recurrent breast cancer, spousal abandonment, custodial interference aka child stealing, death of a spouse, conflicted core values, etc. Most of us have dealt with these issues or know someone who has. With that assessment my choice was clear. I became an Indie Published Author.

So I ask again: What would your life be like if, when facing one of these major life events, you had a place where you were unconditionally accepted, unconditionally supported and unconditionally loved?

My large crystal altar
One of my 2019 goals is to spend more time reaching out to those people who’d like to experience being in that space. What that means is claiming the Pagan Spiritual practices that are an integral part of each book.

Yes, my heroine’s find their happily-ever-after but what’s as important is they come to rely on, to find strength in their spiritual practices and their relationships with each other. That’s why I write what I believe is best called Contemporary Romantic Women’s Fiction or for even more clarity: Contemporary Romantic Pagan Women’s Fiction.

Another of my 2019 goals is to change out the Keywords, etc. on the on-line vendors and my website by the end of January 2019 to more clearly reflect the Pagan Inspirational theme in my books.

Also on my 2019 radar is publishing Ceremonies, Prayers and Resources. CPS is a short booklet of the prayers and ceremonies from this series as well as Visions of Ireland (working title) which is the 9th book in the series. And if all falls into place, I’ll have the 10th book at least in draft form or actually published before the end of this year.

What suggestions do you have for the best way to let people know about my books? And, do contact me at Judith@JudithAshleyRomance.com if you are interested in my doing presentations or workshops on the various practices and concepts included in these stories.

Judith Ashley is the author of The Sacred Women’s Circle series, romantic women’s fiction that honors pagan spiritual practices that nourish the soul. The Circle is the haven where each heroine has the support of the others to sustain them as they overcome obstacles and find their happily-ever-after.
Learn more about Judith's The Sacred Women’s Circle series at JudithAshleyRomance.com

Follow Judith on Twitter: JudithAshley19

Check out Judith’s Windtree Press author page.

You can also find Judith on FB! 

© 2019 Judith Ashley

12 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

Your books remind me of Alexander McCall Smith's books in that they introduce me to new ways of looking at the world through the eyes of unique characters, and I take away the feeling I've just indulged in a warm cup of soothing tea - contented, uplifted, and contemplative.

I would look on social media for people who follow authors you love who leave you feeling the way you want your readers to feel. Befriend those followers. See what they have in common. Be yourself and occasionally share a blog post, a book release, etc.

Good luck!

Paty Jager said...

Your books are one of the reasons Indie Publishing is so good. You have wonderful stories that no one would get to read if it was up to traditional publishers.

Linda Lovely said...

When I was attempting to write romantic suspense, I received similar comments from publishers. They wanted more conflict between the hero and heroine, wasn't enough that people were being murderer and their lives were in danger. They had to fight, too. Wrong. So glad you stuck with your guns. There are all kinds of stories to be told and yours provide unique insights. Congrats.

Marcia King-Gamble said...

Judith,

As I read about your Sacred Circle, a particular friendship near and dear came to mind. Many years ago I belonged to an Online advice group. The people were from around the world and from different walks of life. This online group was affiliated with a very well-known website. The advice group disbanded quite quickly and quite mysteriously. I was one of the moderators. Overt time many of the women had become friends. We lived in different states, even different countries and dhad never met. After the group disbanded, a few select women created a private facebook page so we could have a safe place to share without judgment. 6 years later, maybe 7 years we still exist, and yes we have conflict; plenty of it. We've even had a few unfriendings The bottom line is we support each other. There have been arguments and several differences of opinions. There are members who bond better with each other, and there are those we think are just downright difficult, but when push comes to shove we support each other, and we are the safe sounding place for those of us in need. I say this, because I do believe women can have conflict among them, may even dislike each other, but will be there to provide support. We kiss and make up. I think conflict among the circle could very well strengthen your stories. I love your writing. BTW, I now have actually met some of these women. Among us is a reporter, doctor, nurse, non-profit manager/fundraiser, cellist and marketing type. The age ranged when we first started from 30's to 60's. You're on to something. Yes, I do think there should be conflict among them but they have a united front when the chips are down.

Dora Bramden said...

It's wonderful that authors have control over their work. You've been able to stay true yo your values and vision. By the way I'm reminded of the movie 'Book Club'that group of women didn't fall out. They remained supportive of each other which I think was the heart of the story. Publishers who rejected your series just didn't get it. Enjoyed reading about your books.

Madelle Morgan said...

Judith, what came to mind is an analogy that might have made sense to that publisher.

Members of sports teams bond - they come together in a way that the whole is more than the sum of its parts. Everyone has a role. In the same sense, a woman's circle is more than the individuals. Together they are stronger, and they lift each other up to be the best they can be.

Meanwhile, each player/member is on his or her individual journey. There might be internal conflict to work out, and maybe external conflict in terms what each is dealing with in his or her own life. A sports team that had a lot of conflict between members would not be a winning team!

Just some thoughts.

Judith Ashley said...

Sarah,

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Since I'm committed to being more "social" in 2019, your suggestion resonates.

Love that you contented, uplifted and yet contemplative. Now to think of the authors I read where I put down the book feeling similarly.

Judith Ashley said...

Paty,

Thank you for your encouragement. I remember way back when (2014 to be exact) when I was struggling with uploading a book because I didn't really understand the instructions. You saved my sanity that day but clarifying what the site "really" meant.

What I love about Indie Publishing is that we can stay true to our stories more easily than we might be able to if traditionally published.

Judith Ashley said...

Thanks Linda, again I think one of the biggest blessing in being Indie Published is the freedom to stay true to what we want our stories to be.

Judith Ashley said...

Dora, Thanks for mentioning the movie "Book Club." I'm not a movie person but I may just have to see that one. And you are the 2nd or 3rd person who has mentioned it this week. Synchronicity at work!

Judith Ashley said...

Marcia,

I've had several readers talk to me about connections they have with other women friends that have lasted over the years and through ups and downs...falling outs and falling back in.

My series "The Sacred Women's Circle" is more than a women's circle. I've belonged to and do belong to women's circles. And within these circles there are interpersonal conflicts and issues and separations and at times, people leave and never return.

I have also belonged to a Sacred Women's Circle and what is different is that there is no judgement of the other members. And without judgement there isn't conflict. Someone has to be wrong or bad in order for there to be conflict.

Thank you for sharing your story about being a part of a women's circle. Those of us who have had the opportunity to be in relationships with other people who accept, support and love us unconditionally are blessed.

Judith Ashley said...

Madelle,

Your analogy of a sports team is a good one. A commitment to the whole (team or circle) is where the strength comes into play. That is also true in a marriage, family or other committed relationship...making decisions based on what is best for the whole vs the individual can create an unbreakable bond.