Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Heart Smiles

February, the month of St Valentine and all things love. Our feelings for that special someone, for family and best friends. But it's also a good time to reflect on all the other things we have in our lives that make our hearts smile.

I don't know about you, but I love the moments in a day when I see, or hear, or feel or taste something that makes me stop and think how lucky I am to experience it. I'm a huge believer in mindfulness, in being aware of what's around us rather than just living in our own thoughts. Being in those moments, making a conscious effort to find them, is a powerful pathway to achieving happiness.

I'd love to share with you some moments (other than the obvious of loved ones and friends) that have made my heart smile.

Cute Pictures - there is something so heartwarming about super cute animal photos. Apart from the obvious visual appeal, I love that we get to see animals in their daily lives, see their personalities, their quirks. I have to thank Facebook for bringing me an endless supply of these images that never fail to bring a smile to my face and always make my day better.

Taking A Good Photo - I love photography and when I manage to take a picture that pleases my eye, it also pleases my heart. Because it looks good and because I did it. Inevitably it will have taken many discarded efforts to get the one good result, but that I got there is exciting. The ones I like best aren't necessarily anything others would find fabulous, but they please my eye.

Sunshine - the warmth of it on my skin. I hate hot days. With a passion. But on a mild day, when the sun is out and the sky is cloudless and it just caresses your skin, warms you just a little. Such bliss to just stand and absorb the feeling. Add a gentle breeze, and it's just perfection. Whether I'm in the greenery of the garden, or a busy car park on a busy day, taking the time to just feel it and be thankful for it improves my day.

Dancing - I've danced all my life.  Mainly ballet, but also jazz, tap, ballroom, Latvian folk and belly dance. Love it all. Moving to music is instinctive for me and whether it's going to my weekly adult ballet class, or prancing around the house while I dust, dancing will always make me feel good. Always. I'm so thankful that mum sent me to ballet classes when I was 8 and that I inherited her love of dancing. I can't imagine my life without it and it makes my heart (and my body) smile.

Writing - obviously. Yes, it's torturous and disheartening at times, but once the words are on the paper (even when they're bad), the sense of achievement and a need satisfied is worth all the angst. Writing is also something I've done from a young age and something that has stayed with me over the years. You don't persist with things for decades if they don't feed your soul. Or you shouldn't. If I could write and dance at the same time, life would be amazing lol


 I learned to type, and wrote my first stories
 on a typewriter like this!

Find out more about Andra's writing world here or follow her on Facebook.

3 comments:

Deb N said...

Andra - this post made me want to get up and dance. I often dance to relieve the stress of sitting at the computer and it frees up my mind to think. I DO NOT dance in public. Too uncoordinated and self- conscious :-) ) Loved the photo of the Zebra (I assume that is what it is). It is a fascinating view. One thing I've always wanted to learn how to do - take an artistic shot. Well done!

Judith Ashley said...

Wow, Deb - I looked at that picture and zebra never crossed my mind until I read your comment! Andra, love this post and the variety of creativity that touches you. And while I did not write any of my books on a typewriter of that vintage, it sure looks like the one I learned to type on in high school - and not very successfully I confess.

Maggie Lynch said...

I loved your photos and your examples of things that make your heart smile. The one that touched me most was the feeling of sunshine on your shoulders. That is huge to me, particularly when it happens during winter. I day or a few hours of respite from the cold is an entire body experience.

Thanks for sharing these thoughts and pictures.