Friday, March 8, 2019

Mayflower...

If I could choose to live a week in the past, I would want to live during the week that the Mayflower landed in the new world.

Image result for mayflower shipGoing through my mother's files and papers, all her genealogy stuff, I discovered that my Uncle Linc had traced my father's side of the family back to England, and some of the family emigrated on the Mayflower.

What did the passengers feel when land was finally spotted, and they stepped on to solid ground after so many months at sea? What did my ancestor do to help settle the new land? Was he a tradesman, a sailor, a husband and father? I would love for him to talk to me, tell me his dreams for his place in the new world.

To be able to experience the excitement and newness of it all, what a gift that would be.

What historians know about those first days, months and years of the travelers settling the new world is limited to diaries and ship logs, things like that. But what was the ordinary passenger's experience?

I'd like to see the human side of history.
Actually, I wouldn't mind spending a week with one of my ancestors in any century!


4 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Genealogy is great way to connect with the past. My maternal ancestors came on the next ship although one of my first cousins married an ancestor who arrived on the Mayflower. Edward Rawson was the First Secretary so we have quite a bit of information about him from public records of the time. The Rawson family holds Reunions most years and there is a town in Vermont, Rawsonville. When my brother was in Boston on business, he rented a car and drove to the town. When he went in the General Store, the owner took one look at him and said "Your a Rawson, aren't you." Since he looks a lot my maternal grandfather, it wasn't a lucky guess. I can see the family resemblance when I see Reunion pictures. All very interesting..

Diana McCollum said...

Thanks for stopping by Judith. Your ancestry is really interesting.

Sarah Raplee said...

Genealogy research is a great way to learn and connect to history. You would learn so much spending a week with an ancestor. Great idea!

Maggie Lynch said...

I too would love to talk to ancestors. However, I have no real desire to live even a week in those times. I get seasick on modern boats. I can't imagine making the crossing on the Mayflower nor the hardships they faced after landing.

I have an interest in genealogy as well but haven't invested the time in the research. Fortunately, other members of my family have. A cousin followed genealogy links, on my maternal grandfather's side, back to Europe over 500 years ago and keeps it all up to date online. My sister did a lot of genealogical research on my father's side of the family (which wasn't easy as he was placed in an orphanage when he was only two and then later adopted by his paternal grandmother) before he died but didn't get more than two generations back. Lots of family skeletons to hide, it seems, during the 1800's.

I very much appreciate all those historians who research and provide us a look into the past that helps to inform today and beyond.