Friday, March 15, 2019

Revisiting The Past #timetravel #romance

Hi, I'm Pippa Jay, author of SciFi and supernatural stories to engage your emotions. Today I'm travelling back in time to a post from 2016 on my favourite time periods. Slightly depressing to discover Brexit was still top of my thoughts even that far back. Eep! Still, the rest of the post remains true...

Until recently, I loved the place that I lived. Brexit and the hideous aftermath that seems set to get much worse before any possibility of it getting better has had me looking longingly at vague plans I started making for a possible move to New Zealand.

But if I'm honest, I would rather travel in time than space. Maybe it's because of being a lifelong Whovian. I have two specific time periods I would like to visit, though I'm not sure the reality might live up to my expectations and be somewhere I'd want to stay indefinitely.
Firstly the medieval period. I love the castles, the clothing, the weapons. I'm a big fan of the Ellis Peters books following the investigations of a medieval Welsh monk, Cadfael, and we go to the local medieval fairs and jousts. But I'm not sure I could put up with the lack of hygiene, medical care, or the loss of my beloved smartphone.
I would also love to visit the future, to see the human race set foot on Mars, or perhaps even farther afield.

Most of all I'd love to see my rather dystopian view of our future proved wrong. We are capable of so much more, and yet our main achievement appears to be an irresistible desire for self destruction. We seem to find it so much easier to destroy and to hate than create and love. Maybe in the future we could find a way to eliminate the darker, more negative side of our psyches. I would like to see us achieve that, rather than something like this:
But some days I feel like a nice solitary cave somewhere might suit me best. I'm a bit of a hermit by nature even before I became an author.

How I ended up with a husband and three monsters, I'm not quite sure. But I'd have to go home to them at some point because I could never leave them behind forever. ^_^
Instead, I get to explore past and future, and other planets in my books instead. Want to join me?

Want to chat? Find me on Twitter as @pippajaygreen or at my website http://pippajay.co.uk
(Images courtesy of pixabay.com)

3 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Well said, Pippa.

Luanna Stewart said...

You and I could be twins, hehe. I re-read the Cadfael books regularly mostly to immerse myself in that time period. I'd also like to be around in a couple hundred years with the hopes that humanity had gotten its head out of its arse, but I have a feeling that's a fantasy. My heart grieves for what's happening in the UK right now. I'm Canadian and grew up at a time when we sang God Save the Queen at the start of school assemblies, and I've retained a love of all things UK.

Maggie Lynch said...

"I'd love to see my rather dystopian view of our future proved wrong."

I have to believe in the somewhat Star Trek universe for the future or I think I'd have a problem getting up in the morning. We are indeed in a dark time in our world with many countries struggling with their leadership and with the balance of narcissism and the needs of the common good.

If I could time travel to the future, I'd like to see if we figured it out or not. And if not, I hope the multiverse is a true construct and that there is a timeline where we did get it right and we can learn from it.