Thursday, March 14, 2019

Time Travel, Anyone? by Lynn Lovegreen


If I could live for a week in any time period, I would choose a dynamic time one—an era that has interesting things to see and experience. When I was younger, and someone asked me that question, I would say the English Renaissance. Who wouldn’t want to hang out with Christopher Marlowe, William Shakespeare, and Elizabeth I? Then I learned more about history  and started adding, “as a rich man.” With the health, sanitation, and other challenges, Renaissance life was actually pretty tough!

When I started writing fiction, I got deep into the late 1800s. The Alaska Gold Rush was dynamic too, with lots of adventures, more opportunities for women, and characters like Soapy Smith and Wyatt Earp to hang out with. But there were still difficult conditions in that time…

Now, with my current writing project, I spend lots of time in the 1940s. Health and sanitation were better, women had even more choices, and there were great movies, Big Band music and jitterbugging! But of course, the war was awful. I wouldn’t want to live through that, or make others go through it with me, either.

I’m beginning to think there are drawbacks to every time period. But if I can manage to live in any time period for a week, maybe I can just pick and choose the good parts, too? ;-) That would be more fun!

 Lynn Lovegreen has lived in Alaska for about fifty years. She taught for twenty years before retiring to make more time for writing. She enjoys her friends and family, reading, and volunteering at her local library. Her young adult/new adult historical romances are set in Alaska, a great place for drama, romance, and independent characters. See her website at www.lynnlovegreen.com. You can also find her on Facebook, Goodreads, and Pinterest. 

3 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Perfect answer, Lynn. Knowing what we know now, we'd pick and choose which time period and in what capacity and where. While still challenging, living in the country was healthier than living in the city.

Do you ever wonder if this question was asked in 50 years what people would say about the early 2000's or even the late 1900's? While at this time in my life the amenities I have are certainly my preference, I'm finding there are a growing number of things I'd like to change about society and culture.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Good question, Judith. I wonder if history will remember more about the good or the bad of that time period.

Maggie Lynch said...

I'm definitely with you on picking and choosing the good parts. I've always wanted to be a renaissance woman in terms of the practice of learning a diversity of subjects and skills and being part of a society where one had time to discuss everything from philosophy to politics and science. However, I definitely want my modern amenities. :)

IN terms of what history remembers, I always apply the adage taught to me long ago: History is written by the conquerors. In other words, whoever wins the war rights the history from their point-of-view and often destroys the history of those they conquered--their written works, their art, their religion.

Now that so much is online, I don't know if that would be as easy as in the past. But I wouldn't be surprised if some country or entity is working on a way to do just that. If that happened would our memory and oral tradition hold up for historical records?