Tuesday, April 16, 2019

“A funny thing happened on the way to…” by Delsora Lowe

Funny is a word that can be interpreted in many ways.
Using Second Definition
About an hour after I arrived at work in the alumni office of a prestigious secondary school in the middle of Washington, D.C., my alma mater and my employer, my friend and classmate working as an executive assistant to a senior law partner downtown, called. “Did you hear?” She went on to relate the story of the first plane hitting the first tower in NYC. We couldn’t imagine how air traffic controllers and pilots could miss the warnings of a huge tower looming in the path of the airplane.

The morning quickly unfolded. Hearing about the second tower. Running downstairs to the main office to watch T.V. Hearing a plane just hit the pentagon, where my co-worker’s husband worked. Luckily, he was on the opposite side, but a father of an alumni wasn’t so lucky. Then within hours, streams of people walked from downtown three miles away past my office, on a warm September, blue-skied, perfect early fall day, trying to get home with no public transportation running. 
My view of the cathedral – looking at the long side on the left of the photo.
My building sat on top of a hill, on the third floor of an old stone mansion. My office window faced the towers of the Washington National Cathedral and the flight path from the national airport where planes took off every few minutes, from across the river in Virginia. I never realized until the planes started flying again, that the visual from my window looked as though the planes were headed directly toward the cathedral towers. After 9/11, I had to turn my computer away from my precious view to avoid the sudden lurch in my stomach every few minutes—every time a plane traversed that air space—and looked like it was headed into the towers. In actuality it was an optical illusion of planes many miles away as they flew away from the city up the Potomac River toward unknown destinations. 
My office in Zartman House, under the chimney on the right, with dormer on right roof,
and another window looking out the side toward Cathedral.

That day, the school lost a parent of an alumni in the Pentagon. My co-worker lost a friend in one of the towers, whose wedding he was to take part two weeks later. Another co-worker’s daughter-in-law would have been on the subway getting off that stop at that exact time, if she hadn’t had a dentist appointment that made her late for work. Another co-worker, driving to work near the Pentagon saw the flames when the plane hit. The mother of my friend who had called earlier, saw the plane hit the Pentagon as she watched from her apartment window. A co-worker of my friend knew a flight attendant on that plane. The fire department blocks from my home were first to respond to the Pentagon. All these connections to the tragedy, out of only nine people in my department.

I tell you this, not to bring you down, but to put in perspective my feelings at suddenly being in a job that had no meaning. And in which in a matter of hours, I was two degrees away from tragedy that hit so many people that day. A job where I brought people (our alumni) together to have class reunions and gather in cities around the country for alumni parties with people who had one thing in common—they went to the same school.

I wasn’t a paramedic or a police officer or a firefighter or a soldier or an ER doctor. 

I was ONLY a party planner. I was an intermediary who brought people of common interests together.

That is until I began hearing from our alumni, letting the school and others know their friends were all right, and tracking down those we hadn’t heard from. Bringing people together in joy that their classmates were fine and had made it through a collective ordeal. And bringing those same people together to mourn. And later, celebrating my classmate (yes, I am proud of my class) by bestowing a distinguished alumni award, for the man we later learned had held together the economy of our country that first week, by being a lone person who stayed in harm’s way near the capital, even when they thought a plane might be headed toward the center of D.C. I might add, that in a few weeks I will be at this same person’s home to celebrate the 50th reunion of my class. And yes, this quiet, mild-mannered unsung hero, he is still our hero.
 

Now to the funny part.
 

As in definition number two: difficult to explain or understand.Through all that, I questioned everything I did. Part of my escape was to start writing. My first completed manuscript is lost somewhere, under a bed maybe. Poems I wrote got wiped out in a computer fix. But the feeling I got from using my imagination to weave stories, grew. I may not be a paramedic or in any of those other saving and protecting careers, but my gift to you, is to give you a place in which to escape to a world of make-believe. The world of happily-ever-afters, where hurts can be cured with the love of a special person.

And my gift on 9/11 and days and weeks to follow, was to bring people together, to connect them with friends, and to reassure them. To write their human-interest stories for the alumni magazine. It made me realize in the little spec of my world, that I had a talent to connect people and tell their stories. And that in this moment of history, that was important.

I no longer write non-fiction for alumni magazines. But that year marked the beginning of my fiction-writing journey. And for that I am personally grateful, as the writing saved me, made me strong enough to bring people together for fun and learning experiences, and understand that the small part I (and all writers) contribute to the world is important.


DELSORA LOWE
~ cottages to cabins ~ keep the home fires burning ~
 

Delsora Lowe writes small town sweet romances and contemporary westerns from the mountains of Colorado to the shores of Maine.
Author of the Starlight Grille series, Serenity Harbor Maine novellas, and the Cowboys of Mineral Springs series, Lowe has also authored short romances for Woman’s World magazine.
New Release - Blurb: The Prince’s Son 


A first meet, royalty and the nanny romance between a self-exiled prince with a royal chip on his shoulders and the local rancher's daughter who rails against any man who tries to tell her what to do. When she tries to tell the prince how to raise his son, tempers flare and sparks fly.

Ari Orula, a prince with a royal chip on his shoulders, has sworn off women.
Carla Peters, the rancher's daughter, has big dreams and it doesn't include listening to her dad, big brothers, or the new prince in town.
When the prince finds himself in dire straits and must find a nanny pronto, the last person he wants is his son's know-it-all ski teacher who insinuates he has a lot to learn about fatherhood.
The money the prince offers Carla for two weeks as a nanny will put a big dent in the cost of renovations for her new school, her life's dream. Does she dare risk working for the rancher her brothers think is trying to destroy their livelihood?
Despite best laid plans, two people at odds are brought together to rescue a child. At risk of alienating her family, Carla accepts the position. At risk of melting his stone-cold heart, Ari hires the rancher's daughter.
Will the sparks that fly torch Carla's dreams and inflame Ari's resolve, or ignite an everlasting love?

READ ME LINKS:
Amazon E-book link:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PZD3FNC/ref=sr_1_2?crid=32PO3EI3KDLQI&keywords=delsora+lowe&qid=1553611414&s=digital-text&sprefix=dels%2Cdigital-text%2C196&sr=1-2-catcorr  

Amazon Print Book Link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1091276862?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860
Books2read link, (includes Barnes and Noble and iBooks): books2read.com/u/b6xzr6

Social Media Links:
Author website: www.delsoralowe.com
Author FaceBook page: fb.me/delsoraloweauthor
Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/Delsora-Lowe/e/B01M61OM39/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
Books2Read Author page: https://www.books2read.com/ap/8GWm98/Delsora-Lowe
BookBub Author Page: 
https://www.bookbub.com/authors/delsora-lowe-93c6987f-129d-483d-9f5a-abe603876518
Goodreads Author Page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16045986.Delsora_Lowe 

Photo Credits:
https://www.google.com/search?q=free+photos+of+washington+cathedral&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=KmJNT7Ax-Y0vkM%253A%252CVHfJH91BkT7QFM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQc0SRYD86XEnTwtFcC88kfbQ_UuQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwibh7P37bbhAhWrmuAKHUVCBpEQ9QEwBXoECAkQDg#imgrc=KmJNT7Ax-Y0vkM:
Sidwell Friends School Zartman House:
https://www.weathermaster-window.com/portfolio/sidwell-friends-zartman-house/

13 comments:

Deb N said...

Thanks for letting me relive my memories of a tragic day that led to a new career for me. We all have those stories in our lives when something dramatic drives us to make life changes. As I scrolled down to leave this comment and passed by the photo of America's iconic cathedral, where I took a psalm-based poetry class after 9/11, I can't help mourn for so many things, including the losses suffered yesterday in Paris. But out of the outpouring of international response, hopefully worldwide solidarity and hope will rise out of these particular ashes. And good will prevail.

Maggie Robinson said...

How eloquent, Deb. Happier memories ahead with your wonderful books!

Deb N said...

Thanks, Maggie - most important to be positive amongst turmoil, for sure. But sometimes, it is hard.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Nice post, Delsora. It's good to remember that we have the power to touch people in important ways.

Sarah Raplee said...

Your post touched me in ways I can't even explain, Delsora. The fire at Notre Dame triggered memories for me, too, but I experienced the tradgedy of 9/11 from a distance. I can't imagine how difficult it was for people living so close.

Reading stories with happy endings buoys me up through tragic times. Thank you for reminding me why I love writing!
















Judith Ashley said...

At one point in the past, I was very active in the Portland Branch of my alumni association. When I read about your experiences on that dark day, I can see the gift you gave to others at that time. Knowing people we care about, remember with clarity if not fondness---that they have survived is a balm to the soul and helps heal the damage from trauma. And now almost two decades later, you have your books as gifts unto the world. Blessed Be.

Nina Pierce said...

I can't even imagine being that close to such a tragedy, not only proximity, but emotionally. Like so many, I experienced that day from a distance. It is amazing though how something so significant can turn us in another direction. Readers like me, who get to enjoy your wonderful stories, are glad you found your way to fiction writing. (And I just love the cover of this newest book!)

Deb N said...

Lynn, thanks for stopping by. Sometimes it's hard to find or make sense out of tragedy. It really was an AHA moment for me in the midst of all the chaos of living in a city that was affected on a more personal level.

Deb N said...

Sarah - I have always turned to reading romance and, as Kristin suggested below, humor, just to get away from the realities of life. And now more than ever, I think what we write is needed. And as I said, it is what I need to do to escape. Both the reading and writing :-). I, too, have to remind myself. It's a good thing we are all able to remind each other from time to time :-)

Deb N said...

Thanks, Judith. It's also a reminder as I prepare to go to my 50th reunion, which will have some of our classmates missing, including one very good friend. We're making a big effort as a class to honor those classmates who are no longer with us. But it makes it hard, too. One classmate suggested we put together a memorial booklet - so once again, writing is the healing thread.

Deb N said...

Thanks, Nina - I love the cover too. This is the book of my heart that has taken a long time to release, as I wrote and rewrote and kept thinking about it. Then I couldn't let it go, so I wrote 3 more related stories and two more that are in different phases of completion. I can't wait to get back to all of them. And someday, I'll drag from under the bed the first book I wrote back during that time in D.C. before I ever heard of Romance Writers of America or met up with any of my local chapter and later writers from all over the country. The best thing that ever happened to me. Okay - besides my children and grandchildren :-)

JENNIFER WILCK said...

That's why I write too. I love living in my own little world, where I'm in control of what happens and how people react. I can always give them a happily ever after, even if in real life they wouldn't be so lucky. And along the way, I can cheer others up as well.

Maggie Lynch said...

I remember that day so well. Though I lived in Oregon then, both Jim and I had lived in North Virginia and worked in D.C. in the 1980's and early '90s. We knew many people who worked downtown, including the Pentagon. Fortunately, none of them were harmed. All of them walked several miles to get over the bridge.

Your gift, not only of writing but of listening and knowing what to do to help is one that is still with you today. It does explain your stories of love and making the world right. It is also why so many crave those kinds of stories to read.

Have a wonderful 50th reunion. It must be amazing to still have those connections and the ability to give back once more.