Saturday, April 27, 2019

Crime of Passion by Paty Jager

How many times do you hear that on a mystery show? It was a crime of passion. There are statistics that show most murders are crimes of passion. Lovers kill lovers, husbands kill wives, mothers kill children, fathers kill families. It's not something we want to think about or write about- but it is the world a mystery writer has to think about.

Passion- it can get out of control and cause the loss of life or it can be used to keep readers wanting to know what happens next with your protagonist.

What the statistics do tell us, is no matter what happens in a person's life- romance or lack of romance- plays a part in how that person acts and reacts to others. 

That is why I enjoy reading mystery books that have an element of romance going on either between the main protagonists or the secondary characters. It's that little bit of human interaction that makes me root for them, remember them, and think of them as real people.

Not too long ago at a book signing, I'd just set everything up and five women marched up to my table
and one declared, "Why are you being so mean to Ryan?"  They all agreed and went on to quiz me about when I was going to have Shandra (main protagonist in my Shandra Higheagle mysteries) give in and agree to marry Ryan. The women said they loved the mysteries but wanted to know when I was going to get Ryan and Shandra together. 

I gave them a vague answer, knowing full well which book I planned to give Ryan and Shandra a happy-ever-after. Drawing out their attraction and waiting for the right moment had worked. It kept readers purchasing the books. While my reviews remark about the mysteries, the Native American elements, and the twists, they usually also comment on the romance element too. 


One of my critique partners who writes romance kept telling me to add more romance into the story, but I knew staunch mystery readers wouldn't like that. I tried to keep the romance as much a mystery as the murder they were trying to solve. It was the best way to keep the ones who like romance in the books to keep reading and to appease the ones who don't care for romance in their mysteries. 

If you look back to Agatha Christie's Tommy and Tuppence mysteries there was a romantic/married
couple who solved mysteries. Dame Christie's books also showed a wonderful array of local people who might or might not be involved in a bit of hanky-panky. 

I believe to make a realistic setting for a mystery you have to include romance in either your main characters, secondary characters, or both.  My latest murder mystery series, Gabriel Hawke, I have a man in his 50's who lost his wife the first five years into his career because of his career and has believed he doesn't need another woman in his life. Unfortunately for him, his best friend, other than the couple who are his landlords, is a woman and he's having strong feelings towards another woman. While there isn't a romance, yet. There is ample opportunity for one to happen and for the readers (who have already been telling me who he should go for) to made a wager if he'll crumple and if so with which woman. 

I'm betting that having this will he or won't he fall in love element of romance fluttering on the fringes of the murder mysteries he solves is one of the things along with the cast of characters and the settings and twists that keep the readers coming back for more.  

How about you? Do you like romance with your mysteries or do you want just the facts ma'am and work at solving the mystery on your own? 



Paty Jager is the award-winning author of the Shandra Higheagle and Gabriel Hawke Mystery series. All her work has Western or Native American elements in them along with hints of humor and engaging characters. Paty and her husband raise alfalfa hay in rural eastern Oregon. Riding horses and battling rattlesnakes, she not only writes the western lifestyle, she lives it.
This is what Mysteries Etc has to say about her Shandra Higheagle mystery series: “Mystery, romance, small town, and Native American heritage combine to make a compelling read.” And Books A Plenty Book Reviews says this about the Gabriel Hawke Series:"The blend of nature tracking, clues, and the animals makes for a fascinating mystery that is hard to put down." 
blog / websiteFacebook / Paty's Posse / Goodreads / Twitter / Pinterest   / Bookbub

7 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

I want some romance in my mysteries, Paty. I love the extra layer a secondary romance plot adds to characters and to the mystery and suspense elements. That's one of the reasons I love your mysteries!

Paty Jager said...

Hi Sarah, Thanks for answering. As I stated I think a romance of some kind is needed to make the situation and people feel real. I'm glad you enjoy my mysteries!

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Fun post, Paty. I don't have to have a full romance plot in my mysteries, but I do enjoy a little romantic interest to keep the character interest going.

Luanna Stewart said...

I prefer a bit of romance in my mysteries because, like you said, it humanizes the characters. But the romance definitely needs to play second fiddle. Having the sparks and hints and "will they, won't they" adds a second mystery that's a bit of fun. Like the TV series "Moonlighting" - when the heck were they going to give into their desire?!?

Diana McCollum said...

Hi, Paty!

Yes, I like at least the hint of romance in mysteries. I feel it adds to the suspense, especially if one or the other is in 'danger'. Love your books.

Paty Jager said...

Hi Lynn, Thanks for chiming in. I agree, a little romance enhances the story.

Luanna, I agree. That little side mystery helps to keep readers coming back. Thanks for commenting.

Hi Diana,
The danger element of someone a character loves is a great way to up the tension. Thanks for stopping by!

Maggie Lynch said...

I love how your readers were trying to push you to get them together sooner! That means they were completely invested in your characters. I also agree with you that focusing on the primary genre (the mystery) is key and the romance is not at the center.

I've written in many genres, and I've always found that no matter what I write my central characters have a romantic involvement (past, present or future) that is key to their character arc--whether that is over the time of one book or many books in a series. As you said, it is a natural character development in so many peoples lives. To ignore it would actually detract from the character's story.

I haven't had a chance to start reading your Gabriel Hawke books yet, but I'm intrigued that Gabriel has a potential romantic interest boiling in the background.:)