Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Andra's 8 Adventures

Congratulations to Romancing The Genres on their eighth anniversary!  A fabulous achievement.

Since we're celebrating 'eight', I thought I'd share eight adventures. The definition of an 'adventure' is an unusual, exciting or daring experience'. Not that my life is particularly exciting or noteworthy, but I've had some experiences that fit into one or more of those definitions.

1. A recent appearance on the Australian version of The Chase quiz show. I'm a quiz show tragic from way back and have a head full of useless information. It seems to get in there, and just stay, so when I saw a call for contestants, I thought I'd apply.  I had applied previously, passed the questions but never got a call. This time (knowing how it all worked) I was better prepared for the process, and got a call. It was a lot of fun and for whatever reason, I wasn't even nervous. All four of our team got through and we played a really good last round - and we beat the Chaser - and won $56,000 between us!

2. My heritage is Latvian and in my 20s I belonged to a folk dance group. Every year there was a Latvian cultural festival in Australia, in a different city each year. Our group performed (with groups from other cities) in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth. My first trip on a plane was for one of these performances - yes,my first plane trip wasn't till I was 21!

3. In 2006 I went to the UK to visit my daughter who was working there. As part of my trip I hired a car from Bath to drive to Nottingham to visit a friend (who I met playing online Scrabble). I loved driving through the English countryside. It's so beautiful and green, the narrow roads with their hedges. Picture perfect. Easy driving, until I hit the main highways and got myself totally lost in Coventry. This was pre-GPS days and I didn't even have a map. I had the (unreasonable) fear that I'd just stay lost and wouldn't get to meet my friend. It got to the point where I just pulled over to the side of the road and had a good cry.

It was the best thing for me, got rid of all my stress.  I then stopped for fuel, told them my predicament and they told me the road I needed was just around the corner  lol  I got back on track and met my online friend for the first time - and she was just as lovely in person as she was online. We've been friends for over 15 years now.

4. Recently I've taken up house/pet sitting.here in Melbourne, with a view to doing it overseas
eventually. It's such fun. I don't have pets at home at the moment, so this is a way to stay in a different house and 'borrow' pets while their owners are away. You can pick and choose where you 'sit' so it's like having a holiday, but without the inconvenience of being too far away from home. So far the 'sits' have been way on the other side of town to where I live, so it's great to get to know new areas. Had a lovely stay right in the city as well, in an apartment looking after an 18yo cat, and I loved it. Currently I have two 11yo dogs for company for 5 weeks (waving at Poppy and Mac). Don't know where the next 'sitting' adventure will be, but that's half the fun.

5. All my working life was spent as an Executive Assistant in the corporate world. When I lost my job (my third redundancy!) in 2012 I naturally sought another corporate position, but when I spotted a job for an Office Manager at a wonderful dog boarding kennel not too far away, I applied for it - and got it. Best job I ever had! Instead of a pencil skirt and heels every day I got to wear jeans and work boots. Instead of taking dictation and arranging meetings I took bookings for dog holidays played with the pooches. Instead of lunch at my desk I ate in the lunch room with my favourite dog for company or on hot summer days, down by the river with a swim thrown in. A massive change from what I was used to, but such a wonderful change.

6. I left the above fabulous job to take on another adventure, a long-time desire to become a house flipper - to buy a sad, tired house, renovate it and sell it for a profit. I think I've watched every renovation show on TV and while it was a financial risk, I enjoy every moment of a reno project. It was, and still is, a learning curve but taking a house that needs a make-over and making it sparkle is so fulfilling. It's a bit like writing, you take a rough draft, work on it, work on it, work on it - and you (hopefully) end up with something that someone will love.

7. My biggest ongoing adventure is this writing journey. It began in earnest when I first submitted a short story for publication in 2012  (and was accepted) and it continues daily. Writing is everything a real adventure should be. It's the great unknown in so many ways, from not knowing what I will put on the page every day to not knowing how something I've submitted will be received. It gives you highs and lows but mostly leaves you wanting to do it again. I've met (and continue to meet) wonderful like-minded people along the way, as you do on any worthwhile adventure.

8. I have no idea what my eight adventure will be, but I know there will be one (and hopefully more than one). I have nothing planned, but sometimes the best adventures are the ones that just come our way unexpectedly. It may be travel to somewhere on my bucket list. It may be another publishing contract, or a change in direction for my writing. Whatever the Universe sees fit to send, I know it'll be something to enjoy, something to learn from and something that will stay with me. Bring it on !


Find our more about Andra on her website. Sign up for her Newsletter for a free copy of The Biker and the Ballerina.

2 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Andra, you certainly have had some adventures. I also love watching the reno shows but the idea of flipping a house? Only in my dreams. Wow! $56K split between the four of you. Good going!!! I love watching Jeopardy and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire to see what I know. I also have lots of "useless" information tucked away but on Jeopardy my reflexes are such I'd never ring in in time unless the other two contestants didn't know the answer - lol.

Sarah Raplee said...

What a fun post! Coincidentally, we have two dogs and one is named Mac!

Loved reading about your adventures. On to the next!