Saturday, July 13, 2019

Breaking Away from the Crowd

By Courtney Pierce


Today I have the opportunity to expand beyond my regular post as a Genre-ista to guest blog about this crazy writing biz. As I tap away on the draft of my seventh book, Big Sky Talk, I'm pleased to say that the hefty word count in my literary backpack has earned me the “write” to impart some wisdom. It's a tough business that I now take quite seriously. It didn't start out that way when I wrote my first book, Stitches.


Wisdom lesson #1: No two stories are alike, but chasing a lucrative trend means that you're too late. (As Rocky used to say to Bullwinkle, “That trick never works!”)  Since there are only seven basic story structures in all of literature (according to author Christopher Booker), a fresh take on those plots needs to be unique and loaded with personal style. An example is Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series fitting squarely within the framework of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

My first series, the Stitches Trilogy, unpacked my imagination with wild abandon. It's structure fits squarely into a "Voyage and Return". Stitches, Brushes, and Riffs became the books I desperately wanted to read and couldn’t find. These books contain everything I love: mystery, crime, heart, humor, naughty pets, and magical realism. I even re-invented ancient Egyptian history to solve the mystery of a supernatural artifact. My baby boomer characters embark on a trek to England, tracked by an FBI agent, and then I plunge them into a tomb in Egypt’s Valley of the Queens to solve the mystery of immortality. I didn’t give a hoot if the series became a bestseller or not, because I was having way too much fun with the research and story composition.

While I wrote my first three books, I sharpened my craft in the Hawthorne Fellows literary program at the Attic Institute. I was inspired to make the impossible possible The most important lesson I learned, though, was to shed my fear of actually finishing the books and sending them out into the world.

Photo: Script Magazine
When I met with several literary agents about that first series, I was forced to squeeze the Stitches Trilogy into a genre box. Heck! I wasn’t Romance, Historical Fiction, Literary Fiction, Sci-Fi, Young Adult, LBGT, Erotica, Steampunk, or Dystopian. My stories were clean, poignant, humorous, and written for the over-fifty crowd, specifically baby boomers like me. Our behavior is driven by Peter Pan Syndrome and adventure. We also have emotional shrapnel stuck under our aging skin, which even the sharpest of tweezers can't extract. I vividly remember being sixteen and turning sixty this year. The decades in between were a blur of a career and responsibility.

Wisdom lesson #2: A story without serious conflict is boring. It takes courage for an author to reduce their beloved characters to tears and push them to their limits. But redemption is oh-so-sweet when I have the power to fix it all in unexpected ways.

I didn’t feel like a bona fide writer until I started my second trilogy about the wacky Dushane Sisters: The Executrix, Indigo Lake, and Indigo Legacy. That series revealed a lot of  personal stuff, and I had to muster up the courage to dig deep within myself. The big difference from the first series was that I wrote the Dushane Sisters Trilogy with readers in mind. As a result, my humor got edgier. My story line got tighter. And the conflict got more uncomfortable. I heaped so much trouble on the three sisters that digging them out became downright hilarious.

Wisdom lesson #3: Release a reader’s imagination. Characters are best developed through what they say and do, not through their backstories or intense physical description. If a novel isn’t made up of 80% dialogue—characters talking—then the book slows to a crawl. A simple three-word comment can say much more than a whole paragraph of explanation about what’s behind it.

I must do a good job with this particular wisdom lesson, because the first book of each trilogy started out as a standalone story. My readers' insisted that I keep the characters going. So buoyed by confidence, I expanded each story to a trilogy. And I’m glad I did. Telling a story in three full-length novels—a complete beginning, middle, and end—allowed me to challenge myself and my craft. Each series became a much bigger story than what I could create in one novel of eighty-thousand words.


Wisdom lesson #4: Behind every successful novel is the author’s truth. The story and characters may be purely fictional, but readers know when the emotions and actions aren’t genuine.

This last wisdom lesson is one I’d go to the mat for. As an author, I must have a real-life reference for the emotions I project on my characters. Otherwise, their credibility—and mine—suffers, and they cease to be believable. How can I possibly know what my character feels about losing a parent if I haven’t personally experienced that devastation? I would also find it difficult to write about a character’s crumbling marriage had I not suffered through a divorce myself.

My intention with Big Sky Talk is to create a tight, intense story that engages readers and makes them think. Set in Kalispell, Montana, a ghost story unfolds among the magic of wildlife, mountains, lakes, and nature's dangers. Themes of aging, losing parents, and taking emotional risks will fill the pages. The cast includes an orphaned retiree, an about-to-retire sheriff, an injured grizzly bear . . . and a rifle. That's certainly a combo I can have fun with!

Now, it's back to work to employ my own advice. True to my words, I am a pretty good shot with a hunting rifle, have lost a parent, been alone after decades of marriage, and am about to retire. I'm planning for Big Sky Talk to be a standalone novel. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.


Unless my readers tell me otherwise.


Photo: Micah Brooks
Courtney Pierce is a fiction writer splitting her time between Milwaukie, Oregon, and Kalispell, Montana with her husband. stepdaughter, and their brainiac cat, Princeton. Courtney writes for the baby boomer audience. She spent 28 years as an executive in the entertainment industry and used her time in a theater seat to create stories that are filled with heart, humor, and mystery. She studied craft and storytelling at the Attic Institute and has completed the Hawthorne Fellows Program for writing and publishing. Active in the writing community, Courtney is a board member of the Northwest Independent Writers Association and on the Advisory Council of the Independent Publishing Resource Center. She is a member of Willamette Writers, Pacific Northwest Writers Association, and She Writes. The Executrix received the Library Journal Self-E recommendation seal.

Audiobook now Available!
Check out all of Courtney's books: 
windtreepress.com 

Print and E-books are available through most major online retailers, including Amazon.com.

Available Now!
Book 3 of the
Dushane Sisters
Trilogy
The Dushane Sisters Trilogy concludes with Indigo Legacy, available now. There's love in the air for Olivia and Woody, but will family intrigue get in the way? Ride along for the wild trip that starts in a New York auction house and peaks in a mansion on Boston's Beacon Hill. 

The Dushane sisters finally get to the truth about their mother.


New York Times best-selling author Karen Karbo says, "Courtney Pierce spins a madcap tale of family grudges, sisterly love, unexpected romance, mysterious mobsters and dog love. Reading Indigo Lake is like drinking champagne with a chaser of Mountain Dew. Pure Delight."



7 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Courtney, thanks for sharing your Wisdoms. And so glad you are working on #7 and it's set in Montana's Big Sky and Beautiful country. BTW: Did you know how to shoot a rifle before spending time there?

Luanna Stewart said...

Great advice, oh wise one! When I learned to mine my past for emotions to inject into my characters and into the story, my stories became more "real". I'm still struggling with making life difficult for my characters. I know it'll be for their own good (and will benefit the story), but still...

Maggie Lynch said...

All great points of wisdom. I do agree that digging deep into your own experience brings emotion to the page. Certainly, if you've had the experience yourself (death, breakup, divorce, surgery, cancer, etc.) you have a deeper knowledge of that experience and perhaps can put it on the page. That is IF you are willing to relive that experience again in all its emotional intensity and put it down. That really is the key.

However, I disagree slightly that you can't write an emotional book without the specific experience you are writing. For example, I wrote a suspense novel about a soldier with PTSD who'd seen horrible things in combat. I've never been a soldier, nor have I had PTSD. However, I've known soldiers with PTSD and I wrote the book during a time when my son was serving in Iraq and I worried about what he was experiencing. Being willing to go there in my mind and apply what I knew about PTSD to my character was what brought the emotion to the page. It also, in some ways, prepared me for how he might come home. Fortunately, he came home whole both mentally and physically but I worked through my own demons in writing that book.

The same would be true about experiencing a murder, suffering from cancer, or having surgery after a car crash. One can write about those things by transferring emotion from other areas of life AND being willing to imagine what they would feel if those things happened to them.

I don't think you have to have lost a parent to write a story about loosing a parent. If you have ever lost someone you really loved, those emotions are still raw and can be used. The difference is you have to go there yourself and ask what would you be feeling if it were your parent instead of X (friend, sister, brother, husband).

So, I'll be the first reader to say: "Count on a trilogy for your new book." :)

When readers invest in the lives of your characters, they become "friends." They fall in love with the characters and want to know more about their lives. Or, they fall in love with an area (Kalispell, MT) and want more books set in that location. Your series doesn't necessarily have to continue with the same characters as the protagonists; but it can continue with the same location and have one or more of your characters make cameo appearances.

Can't wait to read this book. I know it will be amazing because all of your books are amazing. Of course, I am a baby boomer so you are hitting that demographic very well.

Sarah Raplee said...

Very good advice, Courtney, but I agree with Maggie about #4.If you've lived it and can handle reliving it, outstanding!

Paty Jager said...

Great post!

Courtney Pierce said...

Thanks for the great comments all! Maggie is right. As long as I reference a real emotion I've personally experienced, I can infuse those feelings into any situation with more elbow grease of research - cancer, PTSD, or physical attack.

I hadn't ever even held a gun until I met my husband. He's a genuine hunter and a good teacher. He bought me a rifle and takes me to Mt Hood to target shoot. We talk often about moving beyond practice to hunt in earnest. I'm not sure how I'll handle the moment a buck or elk strolls into my scope, but it is a situation I must experience to pull the trigger. For me, shopping in a gun shop was as awkward as walking into an adult store, like walking into a weird world. While it's a sport, there's a practical side of learning to survive on your own. As Jeff explained, it's a much healthier way to fill the freezer than factory farmed meat at the grocery store. In Montana, it's a way of life. I'll apply all that I learn in order to write about it.

Although guns are controversial to write about, it is a timely subject that encompasses risk, politics, the constitution, the law, and emotional dilemma. My character will be put through the ringer of all those emotions to get to redemption.

Diana McCollum said...

I enjoyed your blog post. Very interesting and informative. Glad you've made it to Kalispell, MT. My husband and I were there a few years ago, beautiful area. I've target practiced my whole life and enjoyed it. I did go hunting in MI back in the '70s. I never killed an animal, now I wouldn't hunt I enjoy seeing the deer in my yard.I will look for your next book, it sounds fascinating!