Friday, August 16, 2019

Adventures in Travel #scifi #romance

Hi, I'm Pippa Jay, author of sci-fi and supernatural stories to engage your emotions. By strange coincidence with this month's topic, I'm currently on my travels! I'm spending a week on the Somerset/Dorset border with my family. This is the view from my cottage.
I haven't travelled hugely in my life - there's still lots of places I want to go - but we try to go different places in the UK to give our kids a bit of variety. As they've got older, it's been harder to find things to do as a family as they develop their own interests. Walking tends to be met with groans unless there's the promise of ice-cream (or one local specialty here is fudge, middle child's most favourite thing) or cake...which then means more walking to work it off!
Beaches are still popular for our eldest and youngest...except when hunting for sharks teeth and fossils becomes the focus. Some of the day's finds were too big to carry off the beach!




All That Glitters is not Gold...
As an industrial Chemist who has actually worked with gold and gold ores, I'm not fooled by iron pyrite. But it makes a pretty setting for a little ammonite I found on Lyme Regis beach this holiday. The photo makes it look much shinier than it really is but I'm still thinking this will make a nice pendant if I can find a setting to hold it.
Tying in nicely with my love for spaceships both in reality and fiction, and youngest's current interest in warfare, a visit to a local air museum was a must.
A piece of Concord that reminded me of Thunderbirds...


RAF Dalek?
We also took a hike up Glastonbury Tor (my hips are still aching but it was a heck of a view!).





And while we're talking mystical sites, we passed Stonehenge on the way (kudos to my eldest for this stunning shot).
And the local antique shops allowed me to pick up some cute reminders of my feathered fiends back home.
Today I'm taking my two boys deep sea fishing on a local boat trip, something I haven't done since I was their age. Should be fun?????
I'll leave you with one last picture and a quest to spot the lizard. And if you've read any of my books you might have experienced a touch of déjà vu from the photos because somehow the places I like to go on holiday seem to end up as elements in my stories...

4 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

How cool that you can find fossils on the beach like that. And shark's teeth? Do you mean real ones or fossils? Did you go to The Chalice Well while in Glastonbury? One of my favorite places. Lizard? I think I see two if they are green, otherwise, I've missed him/her. Oops, no, I may be seeing a brown one peeking out of the grass? What a lovely vacation!

Diana McCollum said...

Your vacation sounds wonderful! I love fossil hunting. and what great pictures. It's good you are taking your kids around your country to learn all the special things and places available to them. Great post!

Luanna Stewart said...

I so want to go to there - all the places in your pictures. Your kid's photo of Stonehenge is perfect, so atmospheric. We loved travelling with the boys when they were little but, as you said, it becomes challenging as they get older. Particularly the teen years when their natural sleep cycle requires sleeping until noon, LOL.
The boys and my dad found a fossil on a beach here in NS, of some kind of fern, but luckily it was small enough to transport and now resides next to our front door.

Sarah Raplee said...

Awesome photos! It's amazing how many wonderful little places there are close to home, wherever home is! Your ammonite photos reminded me of fossil hunting in North Texas when we lived there.

That picture of Stonehenge is amazing!