Saturday, August 17, 2019

Romance Me

Welcome to my session in this series of  Blogversations.  I'll post a question and I'd love to see your responses. It's a bit of fun so let's keep the conversation flowing and along the way there'll be prizes!

My question is : Where is the most romantic place you've been, and why was it romantic?

The word 'romantic' conjures up images of sunsets, candles, open fires, champagne, a beautiful bedroom. At the heart of a romantic encounter is most definitely the intention and the emotion and of course the person you're sharing it with but I'm a very visual person and if the romantic gesture takes place in beautiful surroundings, my heart glows just that little bit more.

A rainy afternoon at home with your love can definitely be romantic when you're just concentrating on each other and making the most of your time together, but I will always remember our Christmas stay at the very beautiful Brentwood BnB in the lush bush surroundings of Healesville.

While Christmas is something many look forward to, my partner aren't particularly excited by it all. There is the expectation of spending it with family and that can get complicated and stressful trying to please everyone. This particular Christmas we decided to bypass all the chaos and just take the time for ourselves - our Christmas gift to ourselves.

Christmas is summer in Australia and the weather was glorious. Blue sky, warm (but not hot) temperature. We had our convertible back then, the perfect 'drive in the country' car, and what's not romantic about driving with the top down with the one you love?

Brentwood has half a dozen suites, but it still felt very private. All rooms look out onto rolling green lawns and a gorgeous old-style pond right outside our room. The perfect weather continued and we just chilled out, reading on the lawn, snoozing in our beautiful room and just enjoying the peaceful environment.

They provided a delicious basket of goodies for breakfast and while I did have to do a little cooking, it was worth it to sit at the little table outside our room on a perfect summer's morning 

We opened our gifts to each other in the garden. I will always remember the beautiful note book I
received (what writer doesn't love a lovely notebook?) and a sarong which I wore for the rest of the day. I gave my man an autobiography by someone I knew he was interested in. Such personal gifts added to the romance.

So, why do I think this was such a romantic getaway?

Because we had the time to just be together, concentrate on each other. No distractions of family or of feeling we had to get out and see things or do things. It was a really intimate time and I think it's that intimacy that makes a situation romantic. Yes, you can have that even in a crowded restaurant, or a busy resort if you make the effort, but our having it in beautiful surroundings was just perfection.

We've had other holidays - LA, Fiji, New Zealand - but none had the romance of this idyllic short break away from the rest of the world.

What's your most romantic place and/or time?  What made it romantic for you?







9 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Andra, your stay in Brentwood sounds wonderful. I'm not sure what "a little cooking" entailed but glad it didn't detract from the time you two had together. Because I'm not really a morning person, I love sunsets at the beach where I can see the color of the ocean change as the sun sinks at the horizon. The best sunrise I've seen was at the Grand Canyon. I did set the alarm and get up so I could stand and watch The Canyon flood with light. Thanks for starting us off on this Blog-Versation. And thanks for sharing pictures with your words and camera of romance.

Marcia King-Gamble said...

Santorini (Greece,) is without doubt one of the most romantic places I've been. There is something about sitting at a restaurant located on the edge of a cliff, sipping red wine, and watching a beautiful sunset that's unbeatable. Even better, is having someone special with you, and knowing that in an hour or two, you will be heading back to a lovely white, domed house, that most have only seen in a travel brochure. It's still a cherished memory.

Sarah Raplee said...

That does sound like a romantic getaway, Andra! My most romantic getaway memories are of a weekend in Gig haarbor, Washington last fall. The quaint fishing village is like a place lost in time. Beautiful mountains, lovely waterways, mysterious fog at night. We enjoyed great restaurants and shops,and each other.



Sarah Raplee said...

We're planning another trip in October. What is Australia like then, Andra? What about Greece, Marcia?

Diana McCollum said...

My most romantic time would be the five days we spent at a rented vacation house in Bodega Bay, CA. We explored the beaches and estuary and coast line, ate at wonderful restaurants and ended each day watching the sunset over the Pacific Ocean. It was a trip of all US, no one else.

Marcia King-Gamble said...

Sarah, I'm not a huge fan of Greece though I do like the islands. Santorini, Mykonos, Crete. Athens is way too big a city for me. athough certainly much history was made there.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Lovely post, Andra!

I've had many romantic times with my husband, but one of the best was in the Wawona Hotel in Yosemite National Park. It's late-1800s charming, and we spent a lot of time on the veranda.

Andra said...

Thank you for your responses everyone. I love seeing all the different takes on what's romantic. The Grand Canyon at sunrise must be something else Judith. Such grandeur of nature in so many ways. There's just 'something' about sunrises and sunsets that draw us in.

Oh Marcia, you've hit one of my romantic bucket-list destinations with Santorinia. It's probably my No.1. If it's even half as beautiful as all the travel photos show, it must be unbelievable - a small table for two, glasses of wine overlooking the water - sighhh.

Sarah, I think a recurring theme in my ideal romantic experiences have to do with water. Whether the vast ocean, or mountain waterways, or a pond with a fountain. Being around water has the power to take me away from eerything. Looking at it. Listening to it. It's Spring in Austraia in October and I'd say it's the best season to visit. Not the horrendous heat of Summer and the dreary chill of winter is gone. Everything is fresh and green (not sunburned and brown, or bare).

Diana - another water-based romantic experience. Isn't it interesting how so many of us are drawn to that? Bodega Bay just sounds romantic (so many romance novels are based at a Bay - that must say something). Sharing good food together certainly increases the romance factor!

Lyn, a country getaway with a verandah sounds perfect. Verandahs on rural properties are big here in Australia too and I was just recently looking for an Air BnB with a verandah for another weekend away. Just the name Yosemite conjures up such grandeur of nature (I can only go by photos I've seen) especially those giant sequoias.

Dora Bramden said...

For me and Sam romance equals a view. He took me for dinner at the 35th floor restaurant at the Sofitel in Melbourne for my Birthday. Holding hands while watching the sun set over the city skyline was magic.