Friday, October 11, 2019

Which Witch Novel is Your Favorite?


Happy fall and Halloween! When spooks or ghosts or spirits (not sure which one is correct) walk the earth, and witches fly by in the night.




I had never read any kind of witch 
paranormal books. And then one day, I was on my lunch hour from work and walking in Safeway. Near the checkout stand was a rack of books. One cover in particular caught my eye, “Breath of Magic”, by Teresa Medeiros, and I bought it.

This book is what I would call a light paranormal. Not a lot of blood and gore, in fact hardly any. Puritan witch, Arian Whitewood gets more than she bargains for during a witch hunt and she and the broom she is riding on, crash land into the 20th century and the arms of the hero. A love story mixed with time-travel and magic! I fell in love!

After reading “Breath of Magic”, I bought the second book, “Touch of Enchantment”, and followed the journey of Arian’s daughter, Tabitha Lennox, from the 20th century back seven centuries into the past, and straight into the path of a horse ridden by a chain-mailed warrior.
Now I was totally hooked on paranormal romance. Witches are the best!! Who doesn’t love magic?

I’ve read many books since those first two containing a witch heroine or hero, magic and sometimes time-travel. I’ve loved them all.

This summer I read Nora Roberts trilogy starting with the first in the series “Dark Witch”. You just can’t go wrong with a book written by Nora, excellent series.

My very favorite book I’ve read would have to be “The Witch’s Daughter”, by Paula Brackston. I read this book last year. I will always keep this book. Not only is “The Witch’s Daughter “a well written story, it’s written in first person, which I normally don’t care for. I was drawn right into the story from page one.

And yet, the story drew me in, kept me captivated and I forgot all about first person.

The magic of these books led me to write about... you guessed it, Witches!
My book  "The Witch with the Trident Tattoo", is available at all venues. If you haven't checked out  Windtree Press , my publisher, you should do it for a wide variety of books for sale..


Another book is "Love & Magick", an anthology by Sarah Raplee, Judith Ashley and me. And you guessed it, filled with intriguing stories of magic!



These are some of my favorite witch stories. Do you have a favorite?

16 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

I fell in love with 'white witch' stories as a teen. The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Andre Norton's Witch World Series about another world where witches are real- Ms Norton became my favorite author!

I still love me a witch story, especially one with some humor thrown in, such as the ones Ms. Medeiros has written. I am the sister Diana refers to who has borrowed The Witch's Daughter from her. Wonderful book!

Can't wait to read The Witch with the Trident Tattoo!

Anna Brentwood said...

A friend of mine and another local author named April Aasheim writes a fabulous witch series that involves a fictional town called Dark Root, three sisters and their family. If you like witch stories, hers are wonderful.

Kathy Coatney said...

Diana:

The only witch book I've read was your first book, and now you've tempted me to go read more and I've got you're now one to look forward to!

Anonymous said...

The best one I ever read was "Conjure Wife", a thriller by Fritz Lieber. Later made into a movie, "Burn,Witch,Burn."

Judith Ashley said...

Nora Roberts has several series that involve magic. Specific to witches?
The Three Sister's Island trilogy and
The Donovan Legacy. I think there are maybe 4 or 5 books all together in this one.
The Irish Born trilogy has a fascinating witch in the final story.
She has others that include a bit or more of magic if not actual witches.

Looking forward to "The Witch with the Trident Tattoo"!

Judith

Diana McCollum said...

Thanks for stopping by, Sarah! I never read The Witch of Blackbird Pond. Is it a YA book?

Thanks for the suggestion, Anna. I've added April Aasheim to my list of authors to check out.

Hi, Kathy! I hope you do try one of Teresa's books. Good romance along with light paranormal and witches.

Hi, Judith! I have read the Sisters Island trilogy, wonderful books. Nora has another series not so light but more gore which includes a wizzard, witch, vampire who all work together to save the world from gross, mean vampires. One of the books is called Morrigan's Cross. It is a series of three.

This is so interesting to hear about all the different books I've missed! Thank you all!!

Cathryn Cade said...

Diana,

I too loved The Witch of Blackbird Pond ... even if it didn't have any magick in it! Great historical fiction.

Can't wait for your book, as I love witch romance. In fact I have a new one coming out next week myself. Halloween is such a fun holiday.

best,
Cathryn Cade

Diana McCollum said...

Thanks for stopping by Cathryn! Let me know and I'll promote your new book on Windtree Press Twitter!!

Paty Jager said...

I read The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth Speare in Junior High. Loved it! I like the stories where the witches are healers. I also read a Nora Roberts book about three siblings that were witches and enjoyed that, but I don't remember the titles. And I loved your story in in the Anthology, you, Judith, and Sarah published. I'm looking forward to "The Witch with the Trident Tattoo."

Veronica Scott said...

Definitely Andre Norton's Witch World, and "Year of the Unicorn" was my favorite. I also loved Christine Feehan's Sea Haven series. And of course the TV show "Charmed"!

Diana McCollum said...

Thanks for stopping by, Paty. so Glad you enjoyed our anthology!
Thanks for commenting , Veronica. I want to check out Andre Norton's Witch World too!!

Z. Minor said...

I can't wait for your newest book to come out. I like witch story too. Don't have a favorite.

Sarah Raplee said...

And now I have read The Witch with the Trident Tattoo! Love the characters, especially James the Octopus, the sea witches familiar!

Diana McCollum said...

Thanks for revising my blog post, Sarah!

Deb N said...

Diana, I can't say I've ready many witch books. BUT I loved your book, The Witch with the Trident Tattoo! I'll have to check out some of your lighter paranormal recs :-)

Diana McCollum said...

Thanks Deb!!!