Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2020 First Blog


By Robin Weaver

Happy New Year, Everyone!!

This month's theme, a funny story about family and friends, had me stumped, until I remembered an event from many, many Christmas's ago.

So… We exchanged gifts at the home of my parents’ Rook partners (Rook is a card game not always know but extremely popular in some circles). Those partners had a multitude of kids, to include twins who were a mere year older than me--but a decade of sophistication in their minds.  Anyway, their gift to me was a pair of pettipants—it even sounds gross, right?  Well, pettipants were a type of undergarment--a slip in pants form.  In my mind, they were granny-panties.  Needless to say, I did my best to hide my disappointment.

A few months later, I was at the home of the twins again for a sleepover.  We decided we’d have the perfect slumber party ambiance (we probably didn’t know what ambiance meant back then, but that was the idea) if we could put something over the lamp—something colorful.

Ah-ha.  Finally a use for those darn granny-not-thongs my mom insisted I include in my overnight case.  The pettipants were red, and did I mention, covered in hideous beige ruffles? But, oh Victoria’s Secret, did they cast a nice pink glow to the room.

Until, ten minutes later…

We started to smell something.  E-gads, what was burning?  Yep, it was the petti-pants-on-fire. The beige ruffles were antiqued with a smoky edge. 

Well, I couldn’t very well take those home.  I’d get into a million kinds of trouble.  Nope, the poor pettipants would have to “get lost.”  After maintaining a straight face through multiple parental interrogations, I was convinced, the pettipants were petti-past.

Make them red and add some yukky lace...The following Christmas, I was a freshman in high school and could finally participate in the Secret Santa gag gifts.  The entire student body (well, not counting the regulars who routinely skipped class and goofy school events) was gathered in the main study hall around the newly chopped and decorated cedar tree.  I tore into my package the minute I received the red and silver shiny box.

Yep—you guessed it.  One pair of O’ Holy (and I do mean holey) Night Pettipants!

Wishing you every happiness in 2020.

Rw



8 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Fun post, Robin. You did have some of the best adventures growing up.

Linda Lovely said...

Funny, Robin. Where do you stand (sit) now between granny pants and thongs?

Mary London Szpara said...

Pettipants!!! Ha ha ha. I haven’t heard that term in years and I am SO happy that was never a gift I was given. I am surprised you are so well adjusted. Hee hee

Connelley said...

Haha! Enjoyed the read! Been in bed sick most of the day so really needed the laughs. :)

Maggie Lynch said...

Goodness! You have some interesting parties with friends. Love the "payback" gift later, too. Long memories those friends.

I loved pettipants (bloomers) when I was growing up. Though I never would have worn red, that's way too colorful. Mine were mostly black or white and sometimes almost to the knees. I think I had a pink set at some point, too--my one nod to femininity. For me they were the answer to still being able to play while wearing a skirt or dress. I could still do cartwheels, tumbling, play statue-maker in the yard and the boys couldn't say they saw my underwear.

Yes, pettipants were officially considered underwear. But I ignored that fact because I wore underwear (panties) under my pettipants. AND I felt all those ruffles covered the real thing.

Because I was a tomboy, always running, playing, tumbling around the yard, I needed something "appropriate" for all the times I was forced to wear dresses or skirts. Never did get into wearing dresses except for prom and my wedding. I did try wearing shorts under my dresses once, but my parents thought that was totally wrong. I don't know why they never commented on me showing my pettipants. Hmmm.

Deb N said...

Catching up on blogs. Oh my, what memories of my RED pettipants. For me, these were standard attire under my cheerleader uniform in high school. Our uniforms were fairly short and then we had to kick our legs up and jump, so pettipants were the perfect solution. And RED...not sure why I picked that color, but I imagine they were the closest color to the maroon of our school colors of maroon and gray. To me, gray was a dreary color, so that could have been another reason I chose red. I love bright colors. Totally forgot about my pettipants days :-) Thanks for the memories.

Diana McCollum said...

I never wore pettipants or thongs! Hilarious story, thanks for sharing! Happy New Year!

Sarah Raplee said...

Funny story, Robin!