Monday, January 6, 2020

Kids and Animals Always Bring a Smile by Paty Jager

This  month is "funny story" month. I've been trying to think of a funny story. Not that I don't laugh every day, either from something my hubby or grandkids say or the antics of the dogs, but coming up with a story... That's harder.

I'm trying to remember things my grandchildren have said. One granddaughter told my mother-in-law that she can come to her wedding...if she's still alive. ;)

2 youngest grandsons and Santa
A 4 year-old-grandson told his mom, he was going to marry Oma (his great grandmother) when he's old enough. And the next time she visited, he helped her get in and out of the car, carried her walker as she had help going up stairs, and then set the walker next to her chair and got her something to drink. She told him he'd make a good husband, and he smiled from ear to ear.

The soon to be three-year-old was helping Oma. She gave him a thumb's up for a good job. He couldn't get his thumb up and held up his pointer finger.

We have a dog who growls all the way to his kennel every night. He's just like a kid complaining about having to go to bed. And when my hubby closes the door on the kennel, he complains even louder!

George
George, our burro, is an equine Houdini.When we first acquired George, we were told he couldn't be kept in any fence. We just thought it was because the people who had him didn't have very good fences. We put him in the corral when we first brought him home, not knowing what the horses would think of him. The next morning, he was in with the horses and I couldn't figure out how he got out of the corral. All the gates were still locked and I didn't see any place that I thought was large enough for him to get out. Turned out, he would lay down and wiggle under the bottom rail. Another time I had him in a different corral, the next morning he was outside the corral eating grass. I looked everywhere and couldn't figure out how he got out, and then I found a bit of his hair between two rails that were just a bit wider than the rest.

My husband has always liked to shock people by saying or doing something off the wall. There were several years when we hosted a Christmas party with several other couples and invited all the other couples we all knew. There would be close to seventy-five people present.  It was an adult only Christmas party.  One year, my husband started laughing as time was getting closer to the event. When I asked him what he was laughing about (he does this all the time, will start laughing or chuckling and then tells me he thought of  a joke to play on someone) an idea had come to him for the party.

I did my part. Made his costume, or what little there was, and I was in charge of changing the music on the tape player. Yes, it was that far back! LOL

The night of the party, he went and changed, stuck his head in the door, and I started his requested music.  Ray Stevens "The Streak." Hubby came running into the hall we'd rented, dribbling a basketball and wearing a pair of speedos with a penis, I'd made from pantyhose, hanging from the front. He made four loops around the hall and ran out. Everyone in the building was bent over laughing. Whenever there is a gathering of friends that night is brought up!




Paty Jager is an award-winning author of 43 novels, 8 novellas, and numerous anthologies of murder mystery and western romance. All her work has Western or Native American elements in them along with hints of humor and engaging characters. Paty and her husband raise alfalfa hay in rural eastern Oregon. Riding horses and battling rattlesnakes, she not only writes the western lifestyle, she lives it.

blog / websiteFacebook / Paty's Posse / Goodreads / Twitter / Pinterest   / Bookbub

6 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

OMGoodness, Paty. I was almost double over laughing at the sight of your husband "streaking" the party. And I can see why it is mentioned this far into the future.

Paty Jager said...

Judith, I've lived with this man for 40 years and laugh every single day at the things he does or thinks up.

Diana McCollum said...

You had me laughing more than once today, Paty! Awesome stories!

Sarah Raplee said...

I love all the stories, Paty! You did a great job on this post. I laughed over every story!

Luanna Stewart said...

LOL Oh my goodness, I've got a huge smile on my face just picturing that "streak". Great story, and a great memory for all those involved.

Paty Jager said...

I'm glad I could put some laughter into your day, Diana, Sarah, and Luanna!