Thursday, March 19, 2020

Seeking the first times...

Hey hey everyone! 

Welcome on this first day of Spring


I struggled to come up with a first to talk about...
           the birth of my children - amazing!
                     my wedding - awesome!
                         my first car - soooo cool (it was Mustang)

And then there are those first that turn in hundreds of thousands...
             bacon maple doughnuts - drooling here
It's love at first sight EVERY TIME I open the box

                     the Lord of the Ring movies - here take my 3 hours of life
                          creating new recipes with vodka - never gets old

But as I pondered all of these, I realized that I wanted to talk about my fear - what if I run out first? I what if I EVERYTHING that I can do, I have done? I mean there will always be getting stranded on a desert island with Matthew McConaughey but that is a first that isn't very likely to happen.

I mean I've tried ALL the doughnut flavors! I'm not having any more babies (okay I'm glad about this - no woman my age should be having babies in my opinion). There will never be a new Lord of The Rings movie...The list of first are shrinking.

You see where I'm going? What happens when the 'firsts' in your life are all gone? Well, you keep experiencing them like they were the first time.

For example, it doesn't matter how many times I go to the beach - less than a mile from my home - and watch the sunset, it's like the first time. The colors are a little different. The waves are never the same. 




We need to allow ourselves to experience the joy and happiness that first times brings... even if it isn't exactly the first time.  It's the first time that minute that you have experienced whatever it is.

Every time I take a bite of a bacon maple doughnut, I close my eyes. I savor each bite. 

I circle the day in my planner when the local ice cream shop opens for the year. It's a big thing at our home, it's supper that night. Nuts are protein, ice cream is dairy, the cherry on top is a fruit and I have everyone eat a stick of celery before we go as the veggie. We drive down there talking about we are going to get. Wondering if they will have our favorites from last year. It's a first.


Do you have favorite things that give you that first rush every time you do it?  If so I'd love to hear them. 





5 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Lyncee, I do have several things - maybe even a plethora of them - that brings that rush, that smile, that sense of awe. I'm experiencing one of them right now. Glancing to my right out my office window, I see my larch tree, almost needled out, with the sun streaming through it and making intricate shadows on my deck. The first flowers of spring although they are almost gone as the next wave comes on. I live many miles from Mt. Hood but I can see it from some vantage points in my house and when I drive home from an appointment - standing sentinel shiny white against a bright blue sky or dusted with pinks and gold from a sunrise or sunset, always makes my heart beat faster.

However, as I'm typing this the hot fudge sundae is staring me in the face! Now if it was just chocolate (I like my ice cream cold and not melting until it is in my mouth) and it had more nuts and two cherries? You got me sitting down at that table with you.

Sarah Raplee said...

The birds returning in the spring. The first snowfall. My cat climbing into my lap for a cuddle. A hug from my husband. The smell of Fruit trees blooming in spring. Holding a baby. Praying with friends....Your post reminded me to savor the little things and leave what i can't control in God's hands.

Diana McCollum said...

Sunrises in Central Or. The moon in the early morning or evening sky, watching it from my window. First snow fall, a visit with kids and grandkids who live far away and those first wonderful hugs!!! First flowers of spring, my daffodils are just about to open.

Deb N said...

What a fun way of thinking about firsts. It's the anticipation of the next time you do something, that will be another first. For me, seeing my grandsons. Each time I see them they are a bit older, they have learned new things, they are in a different phase of life and growth and maturity. And I want to be around for all their firsts - going to high school, graduating, going to college, getting that first job, finding love, etc. Thanks for giving me a different perspective. I have always thought about that when I see a sunset or sunrise or go to the ocean - since it is different every time. But never thought about it as another first. THANKS!

Maggie Lynch said...

Every day I wake up and look around the house, out a window, or go for a walk it is a first. Even if I am seeing the same things, it is the first time I'm seeing them with all that has come before and all that I hope to come. That makes the experience different each time.

Enjoyed this article.