Wednesday, March 18, 2020

You Aways Remember Your First ...

There's nothing like holding that first book baby in your hand.



Back in 2012 I'd been writing for a long time and but was yet to finish a story. Having shiny object syndrome when it comes to story ideas didn't help! So many started, so few (none!) finished.

I'd entered comps, placed. Got a request from an agent at conference, yet still hadn't got my butt into gear and finished something.

Then I came across a call for sexy short stories for an anthology by a very small digital publisher and figured submitting was a great way to make me actually finish something (and a rejection from a small, obscure publisher wouldn't hurt as much as one from a big name).

A deadline (imposed by someone else) works wonders. I wrote the story. Finished it !  That in itself was a first and gave me a sense of accomplishment. Ok, it was under ten thousand words, but I'd finally written 'The End' on something. I sent it off and didn't really think about it after that. Mission accomplished.

When an email arrived saying my little story would be in 'The Boys Of Summer' anthology, I was ecstatic. It was validation from 'someoone who knows' about writing' (a publisher) that maybe, just maybe, I had a modicam of ability.

The anthology was digital, but print was available so I had to get a physical copy of my first ever published story. A book, with my name on it! So exciting.

The story also had a 'first' for my couple Jasmine and Luke who are already an established couple. If you'd like to know what it was, and like your stories a little spicy, I'll be re-releasing their story as Jasmine's story in Book 1 of my 'Hothouse Flowers' series very soon. Here's a bit of a sneaky peep at the cover.

If you'd like an advance copy to review, drop me a line here.

The short, steamy introduction to the 'Hothouse Flowers' (Rose) is available here.

I hope everyone is coping ok with all the craziness of the current pandemic. One upside is that if we're restricted to our homes, at least it gives us plenty of reading time (yes, and writing time). Let's hope this 'first' world wide crisis is also the last.

Keep safe.


4 comments:

Deb N said...

Exciting to have that first book, for sure. And now to release the story stemming from that first book, also exciting. Thanks for telling us about your writing journey. Finishing books is tough, for sure. So yeah on finishing more than one! AND getting published with that first full submit. WhaaHoo!

Judith Ashley said...

Love the "shiny object syndrome when it comes to story ideas"! I don't have it. Not a trace. I think it's one reason I sometimes see myself as not being very creative although I do have 9 books published. Funny how we view ourselves sometimes.

And I see Genre-ista, Lyncee Shillard, on "The Boys of Summer" cover. You are the first name and she is last one. Such fun!

You stay well also!

Lyncee said...

To this day Spike is one of my favorite stories! And I have 'shiny' everything!

Maggie Lynch said...

Your approach is a great one--to write a short story or novella first. It doesn't take as along as a novel and by the end it is likely you know so much more about your characters, what they want/need in life, and where you see their story going. I know many authors, who are now bestsellers and have lots of books behind them, who started with short stories and or novellas.

Congrats on both your first publication and on that becoming a novel.