Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Difficult Writing


By Robin Weaver



I didn’t think my most difficult writing assignment was going to be difficult.  About a year after my cat Kiko had died, the Genre-ista monthly theme was “If Animals Could Talk.” So naturally, I decided to write about a talking cat—my recently-deceased talking cat. This is that blog.
Kiko the Wonder Cat
Well, okay, Kiko the Magnificent couldn’t actually talk—actually she rarely meowed—but that little kitty communicated with me on a far more complex level. To show you what I mean…
Once, I was watching a movie with my husband, and got up, for apparently no reason. He asked, “Where’re you going?”
The question startled me. I wasn’t exactly sure. Without thinking, I replied, “The cat needs some water.”
Then I headed upstairs, almost trancelike (okay, maybe I exaggerate a bit about my zombie state).  There she sat. Patiently waiting by her water bowl.
During the seven wonderful years Kiko allowed me to live in her house, there were daily incidents similar to the one above. I seemed to “know” I needed to move a pillow off a chair because Kiko had decided to sit there instead of her usual spot. A thought would pop in my head and I’d go get a blanket. Kiko would snuggle beneath it, as if she’d requested it. I’d stop writing and go remove that tee shirt that had somehow ended up covering her food.
How else, other than mental telepathy, could a cat learn to fetch? Yes, if I threw a toy small enough for her to carry, she’d retrieve the item and bring it back to me. Even more impressive, she liked to play hide-and-seek, always hiding before I got to ten and always tagging me before I found her.  I didn’t teach her that game. I never rewarded her with treats for behavior. Somehow, I just knew that’s what she wanted to do.
So, it was very weird I didn’t know she was sick.  I had no sense of her disease, only noticing when she stopped eating.  I know what you’re thinking. Cats are very good at masking illness. Maybe, but that cat and I were synched.  I should have known.
Our mental connection sometimes freaked my husband out. But you see, my husband was also very sick. Dying actually. I’m convinced my little kitty wanted to spare me more pain. When I took her to the vet, she said Kiko wouldn’t live more than a month. My cat stayed on this earth for another four months, hanging in there to get me through a horrific time. She spent most of that time in my lap, looking at me with those beautiful green eyes, projecting the same thought: it will be all right.
A year later, tears are welling in my eyes as I write this. But I’m also smiling.  I can still sense Kiko. And she’s saying, “See. It’s all right.”
Eight years later, this blog still makes me need to blink. Repeatedly.  But you know what, even in the midst of the COVID chaos, it is all right.
Stay safe, stay healthy.
Robin

5 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Sniffling after reading this, Robin, and I'm not a "cat person" but I do believe we can and do have strong connections to certain pets. My Dukie aka Duke dog (yeah, like he didn't know he was a dog - well, at times I'm sure he didn't accept it even if he knew it).

And yes, the message is still true. "It is all right." We will get through this time and perhaps be more connected because of it. Sending love and light to you and yours.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Beautiful post, Robin. I haven't had a telepathic cat, but I've known enough cats to believe your story 100%. I'm glad Kiko could give you some solace. My condolences. And yes, we'll get through this chaos.

Sarah Raplee said...

it's amazing how close a bond can develop between a pet and a person. When I was growing up, our cat, Tabby, always knew when I was sick or hurt. She would insist on comforting me. It's amazing how much comfort pets can give us. I'm so glad you had Kiko to comfort you in your grief. She was right. It will be all right.

Deb N said...

I swear my cat still comes to visit me. I feel her presence in the middle of the night with a slight dip on the bed, as it felt when she would leap up to keep me company. It wakes me out of sleep. And I swear she sensed a ghost in my house. She'd go berserk right where a chair sat that a friend used to sit in. When I called the friend out on haunting us, and told him he needed to find peace where he was, my cat never pawed and jumped around on that spot again. Brrrr - still sends chills through me thinking about that.

Maggie Lynch said...

I believe that animals have a more developed sixth sense than humans. How that manifests is somewhat miraculous to me. Science perhaps would say it is body language or pattern recognition in animals that is far superior to humans. Certainly there are dogs that know when an epileptic attack is about to occur because of chemical changes only they can smell.

I believe cats also exhibit this sixth sense, but like humans they are not all equal. I've always had more than one cat at a time and it seems that when that happens, one chooses me and another one chooses my husband. When we had three, it was the same way and the third was more of an observer.

Once that bond is made, if we (as not-so-sensitive humans) pay attention I do believe that seemingly miraculous connection is made. I also believe that when we are at our most emotional times, that we are open to those connections more as well.

You were fortunate to have that experience. I hope you find other cat experiences like that in the future.