Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Celebrate! (Your weakness???)

by M. L. Buchman

There's an old adage: You must focus on your weaknesses in order to improve them.

It took me years before I learned that this is generally one of the stupidest ideas ever put forth.

Okay, let's look at an example. You're a pianist. You have a weak run when driving downscale to your left pinkie. You need to work on that. That's not working on your weakness. Your strength is being a pianist and you should fix that run. Your weakness is that you've always had asthma and allergies and working on your tuba playing just because that is a weakness would be a total waste of time.

Yet we are time and time again told to work on our weaknesses.

Do I have weaknesses in my writing? Absolutely! Do I work on them hard? Absolutely! (Though I'll answer that differently in a moment, but for now...Absolutely!) But my overall strength is writing. I didn't come to fiction until my mid-thirties, and I sucked at it early on. However, I've always been a strong writer of science papers, essays, program proposals, operations manuals, and a wide variety of other things. I love playing in the land of the written word. I needed to work on my "fiction" weakness within my "writing" strength.

LEANING INTO THE WEAKNESS

By identifying writing as my strength, I can finally let go of the years and years I spent attempting to create music.
  • 6 years of piano lessons (and several years working on my own on a Fender Rhodes that I never played well)
  • 6 years in the high school percussion section
  • 20+ years playing guitar (including a lovely 12-string Martin that I still miss on occasion)
  • 4 years of operatic vocal production
  • flute
  • fiddle
  • banjo
  • penny whistle
  • 4 different harmonicas (good ones, including the neck holder so I could play them (very poorly) along with my guitar)
  • I became a sound designer and performance tech for live theater for several years and apprenticed myself to two of the leading sound engineers in the Pacific Northwest.
  • ...you get the idea
When I was a kid, my parents started my piano lessons by setting a double gin and tonic in front of the teacher. I was finally thrown out of high school band when they realized that I couldn't keep time. My songwriting group was always puzzled by my cool lyrics (writing words, duh!) and my off-key singing. The opera voice coach...

Let's just say that I had lots and lots of passion but had neither innate talent nor any particularly trainable skill. Actually, it turns out that, like my mother, I'm fairly tone deaf. 

As a kid, I also desperately wanted to be a pilot. I got my private-pilot license and was well on my way to my commercial ticket when it was discovered that I was partially color blind. Not enough to be unsafe to fly, but enough that I'd probably never get a chance to fly the big jets that so fascinated me. I could have stuck with it and somehow made it work. Maybe.

I've met tone deaf musicians, who've learned by rote how each note should feel when they sing. I've met a theater lighting designer and painter who was completely colorblind. They both firmly believed that no weakness should defeat them. The results were occasionally...curious.

LEANING INTO THE STRENGTH

Back to my writing. Do I have weaknesses? Sure. Setting is a major challenge for me that I still fight against. My writing will never have the lush wonder of James Lee Burke where you want to shower off the New Orleans swamp after he takes you there for murder. So I work on my setting, but even though it is a weakness inside my overall strength, it isn't where most of my attention goes.

I've learned over the last 25 years and 6 million words what some of my core strengths are. Two of them are: relatable characters and pacing. It is by focusing on my core strengths that I created my most popular characters:
  • Emily Beale of the Night Stalkers secret helicopter regiment as she rode rough-shod through over 35 military romantic suspense titles.
  • And now, Miranda Chase, the high-functioning autistic, air-crash savant who is fighting to be normal...and to stop the next war from erupting.
Relatable characters and pacing. I've proven to myself that I am an action-adventure writer, whether in romance, science fiction, or technothrillers. (At least so far. Who knows what the future will bring.)

But I didn't achieve my success to date by leaning into my weaknesses. If I had, you'd have okay setting, some more sensory details, and even more dialogue (though my years working in live theater helped make that last one probably tip over from a weakness to a moderate strength--still, something I do try to improve over time). But you'd probably not have a very exciting read.

Instead, I study my strengths of pacing and character like a rabid dog. Well, okay, like a fascinated writer, but still. Those are my strengths and I'm always studying how to play better to them.

MANAGING YOUR INNER WRITER

Ages ago (about 7 years), I co-wrote a book with my sister (a visual artist--photography):
Managing Your Inner Artist/Writer
One of the things we talked about was how to focus on success and strength rather than weakness.

One one of the most important points for me in the whole book is this simple little diagram of the most basic elements of a project plan.

Most people have a real weakness in one of these areas. And this is one case where I think it is CRUCIAL to fix that weakness. Because if you don't...well...

  • People who never start a project, well, they never got anything done.
  • Some folks are great at starting them, but need someone else to actually do them or them never really move along.
  • Others are dynamos at Starting and Doing, but can never quite let go and finish. (If you're on the 9th major revision of your book, or even the 3rd, I'm looking at you!)
  • And my own greatest failing? I SUCKED (note the semi-victorious past tense) at acknowledging and celebrating my achievements (I'm still working on it--hard). Yet, this is where you get self-confidence and the energy to start the next project. (Folks weak in this area are the ones who burn out because they go straight from finishing one project into the fast churn of starting the next. Trust me, I know. If you doubt that, just read this book.)
Mid-life Crisis On Wheels

WE MUST CELEBRATE OUR SUCCESSES!

How do we do this? That's up to each individual person.
For me? Here are two hot examples:

One: Just a few steps from my writing desk is my brag shelf. I can't tell you how many times I stop and stand there to just stare in wonder at what I've created over the last 25 years of work. This shelf started out as 20 author copies of my first book in 1997. But now? Well, I've done a lot of writing since then.


Two: Just yesterday I published a new collection of short stories.
These five stories were written between 2016 and 2018. But I didn't just pack these stories together. I took the time to go back and read each one. To remember, with joy, the creation of each tale and all those cool characters. I wrote brand-new introductions to each story about why they were important to me then, and why some of them are surprisingly important to me now.

The Complete Night Stalkers 5E Stories
Yes, I hope that fans will want this box set. However, even if they don't, I got to spend some time celebrating those tales of romance and adventure, and remembering that I am fortunate enough to spend my days reveling in the area of my overall strength. (Which beats the crap out of still being a frustrated musician.)

And for me, "Celebration" is definitely a key weakness that I've turned into a strength.


USA Today and Amazon #1 Bestseller M. L. Buchman has 60+ novels, 100 short stories, and lotsa audiobooks. Booklist says: 3x “Top 10 Romance of the Year.” PW says “Tom Clancy fans open to a strong female lead will clamor for more.” A project manager with a geophysics degree, he’s flown and jumped out of planes and also bicycled solo around the world. More at: www.mlbuchman.com

12 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

Matt, I look at strengths and weaknesses a lot like you. And like you, I'm not great at celebrating my successes. Working on it. Great post!!!

M. L. Buchman said...

Thanks! Even after years and years of knowing this weakness and having chosen people in my life who remind me to do this...it's still a challenge. SIGH! But I'm getting better at it all the time. I set "traps" for myself, like the prominent display of my brag shelf, so that I'm "forced" to acknowledge what I've achieved.

I also keep a gratitude list. Each night I write down three things I'm thankful for from that day.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Thanks for the great post, M. L.! I really need to work on letting go of a manuscript, and celebrating. I might print out your diagram to remind me. ;-)

Diana McCollum said...

Great post Matt! I like the diagrams!

Maggie Lynch said...

Oh my! Great article that everyone should read. At every turn of your journey, I said: "Yup, that sounds like me. Yup.Lots of other things to be in life before writing--singer, actor, researcher, coder, teacher. And the last one, definitely.I don't party well. A long time ago--fairly soon after college and entering the "real world of work" I lost that sense of carefree fun and celebration.

I don't know that I'll ever party well because I simply transfer my focus to the next disappointing outcome and label it a "weakness" to be obliterated. I do love my books and characters, and I do on occasion revel in the fact that I made them up and presented them and even have fans who loved them, too.

But that is always surpassed by what I can't seem to get right--a few craft things which, thanks to a great editor, are always caught before print. But more on the business side. I've never spent so much time studying, experimenting, verifying, and then losing again and again.

So, I've decided I'm not going to obsess on that anymore. Instead I'll lean into the joy and see what happens. After all, it's a pandemic. I'm alive and not starving or going to lose my home. I think that's enough to ask for now.

Thanks for a great thoughtful article!

Diana McCollum said...

Well put Maggie! I've had many different jobs and focus before turning to writing. Which I do enjoy even though I've been in a slump.

M. L. Buchman said...

Maggie, Yes, cutting out that obsessive self...I won't say abuse, but self-deprecation has been the hardest cycle for me to break. And I do it by celebrating the small triumphs every day. I expanded my daily word/time tracking log (the one file I touch every day without fail) with a checkbox for "Gratitude" (as in: Did I take time to record my gratitude) and then I added three notes columns in which I write 3 things that I'm thankful for that day. Some days it's smaller: "Got out of bed" (especially when my back was out), sometimes bigger "finished book draft", and sometimes just right "Nice walk with my lady." For me, this simple act over time has built up a positive influence. The very best way I've done this is to keep a journal under my pillow so that the last thing I do before sleep is record 3 gratitudes and the first thing I do in the morning is remind myself I had them. Except I'm so crappy at journaling that it never stuck for long. :)

Peggy said...

Great post, Matt. I appreciate the positive attitude, even to perceived weaknesses, which I am certain you would notice more than the rest of us. As I am at the beginning of the writing journey, I am working on many things and soaking things in like a sponge.

I have, however, kept a gratitude journal in which I too note three things each day for which I am grateful. Some days it is as simple as the migratory cedar waxwings hanging on the stalks of my red hot poker flowers and eating seeds. Or even just a butterfly in my garden. or the bunnies. Other days it is coming across a passage in my manuscript and thinking, "Wow! Did I really write that?" It's a reason for a small celebration.

I spent some twenty years overseas for my career and kept a journal for short bits of time off and on. I always wished I had been more devoted about it, but never did. So now, when I want to free write, I work on recreating some of those memories and just have fun with it. Your mention of knowing when to let a project go and celebrating when done is important. Thank you for this post.

M. L. Buchman said...

Peggy, The power of consistent focus on the positive can NOT be overstated. It often feels trivial or unimportant...which is totally irrelevant. What matters is focusing on the positive for even a moment. Without our endorphins kicking in, we're toast. But by focusing on the positive, we ourselves not only feel better, but can become a force of positivity for others. They don't have to be big things, but they're there every day if we take the time to take note of them.

Two days ago, were you reading about these awful riots...or about the rapper who said, "Please, don't burn down your own house." Yesterday, were you still focused on the riots, or did you spend time reading the article about George Floyd's little brother saying that George had always been a force of peace and that he'd hate these riots. He himself was going to choose George's peace over the anger of the mob.

And if you needed a true punch of positivity yesterday, I spent two hours watching the approach and docking of the Dragon capsule Endeavour to the International Space Station--the first US-launched manned space mission in 9 years. Read why they astronauts named it Endeavour. Read about the flag left behind by the last US Shuttle crew 9 years ago and why the Dragon team can now return to Earth where they will give that symbol to the next mission to leave orbit.

There are threads of joy and gratitude everywhere. It's up to us which part we focus on. I just had my worst writing month in 9 months (mostly due to my back going out). Also in the last month, I posted a new collection, wrote and released two short stories, finished a major novel AND got it recorded into audio after copyedits. On top of that I've started studying website design shortcomings of most writers websites (absolutely including mine). So, which do I focus on? That I wrote just 32k in a month when my goal was over 60k, or that I achieved all that other stuff. If I focus on the former, it drains my energy. If I focus on the latter, I become energized to forge ahead and achieve more.

Yep, sometimes it sucks, no way around that. Flat on my back for a weak (sic, LOL!). Maggie in terminal suspense on the job market only to have her husband slam into ER. But consciously remembering to focus on gratitude is the fastest way out of any of those holes.

Judith Ashley said...

Matt, I agree that gratitude brings balance and perspective in dark times. I have a Gratitude Rock by my bed and I hold it every night and think back on the day for at lest three things for which I'm grateful. This year is the first time in decades I've not started my day writing out 10 things I'm grateful for. I stopped because I was just writing something down and the emotion of gratitude was missing. Even though I do not write anything down at this time, I do stop multiple times a day to revel in the beauty of my flowers, the sound of my harmonic chimes, the glory of seeing a hummingbird fueling up at my flowers and the wealth I have in friends. I have my "brag shelf" where I see it multiple times a day. It may not be as displayed for other people coming into my house (back in the day when they did), but I still stand and marvel that I did that...now to add to the shelf this year.

M. L. Buchman said...

Yes, my brag shelf is in my office/master bedroom. It's for me. My wife too (whenever I'm doubting myself, she points at it), but mostly me.

And I'd suggest writing down those 10 things, even without the emotion, still serves a purpose. A reminder that there are good things out there. Or perhaps take a moment, breathe deeply, and find (1) thing that you can put the emotion behind and write that down.

Love the Gratitude Rock. I have a Dream rock. Need to use it more. :)

Peggy said...

You are so right, Matt, about the positivity being critical. I have always been upbeat, look at the happier side of things. While I wish I had journalled more over the years, I have a plan to recapture what I want to as I was an avid photographer with slides and photos, wrote lots of letters which my mother returned to me, and collected bits and pieces from each posting I had. So I will be able to recapture lots over the next few years as time permits. It will be a challenge I happily undertake.