Saturday, May 30, 2020

Celebrating Friendship by Lynn Lovegreen

Happy BlogOVersary for Romancing the Genres! I’m Lynn Lovegreen. I am honored to be part of this group, and pleased to host today’s Blog-Versation celebrating friendship. I'll post an example answer to the question, and then you can provide an answer. I'll check back every so often and comment, and maybe you'll have a comment to add to mine, or someone else will. This way, we’ll have a virtual conversation.  


What is your most cherished friendship?

Friendship is precious. We all have different kinds of friends, whether it’s childhood friends, workplace friends, or longtime neighbors. My favorite category is intergenerational friends. Some of my friends are much older or younger than I am. People who grew up in a certain time period have a different take on things than I do. That leads to great conversations and new insights.

One of my most cherished friendships was with a lady old enough to be my grandmother. We started off knowing each other slightly, as she worked with my mother. Later, we were in the same group that met for a monthly lunch and Benita couldn’t drive anymore, so I became her chauffeur. It didn’t take long before I was taking her home and staying for coffee, then hanging out with her on a regular basis. Benita taught me much about life, and her advice was always spot on. We shared an unconditional love for each other that lasted until she died. I’m so grateful for our time together.

Your turn now! What is your most cherished friendship? Or, what does friendship mean to you?




Lynn Lovegreen has lived in Alaska for over fifty years. After twenty years in the classroom, she retired to make more time for writing. She enjoys her friends and family, reading, and volunteering at her local library. Her young adult historical fiction is set in Alaska, a great place for drama, romance, and independent characters. See her website at www.lynnlovegreen.com. You can also find her on Facebook and Instagram.

10 comments:

Marcia King-Gamble said...

My most cherished frienship is one that began when I was five or six. It started off with a twosome and then a third came to the mix. Our parents were friends. We were competitive, sassy, and argumentative, but underneath it all we loved each other fiercely. Today, we all live in different parts of the world. Liz lives in Toronto, Jenny on a small Grenadine island where she manages a resort. I am in the States. We are married, divorced, and never married. One has kids the other two don't. This friendship has survived time and many continents. We aren't often on the phone, nor do we see each other frequently, but when we get together, it is like we were never apart. I value these women for their integrity,honesty and wisdom. I still see them from the eyes of a five year old. None of us has aged.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

What a great trio of friends, Marcia! Thanks for sharing. I hope you get to talk with each other soon. This uncertain time makes me want to keep in touch with friends and family.

Paty Jager said...

One friend who I have had since Jr. High is several states away from me now and we connect via email now and then and have visited in person every few years, but even with all those years in between visits we pick right back up as if the years hadn't been there. I also have two friends- one I met through my husband and our kids being the same age. We did family outings together and since the kids have grown just us adults get together. She is very outgoing and fun. I'm and introvert so being with her brings me out. My other friend I met through writing. She and the previous friend I mention and I like to get together a couple times a year for lunch or hanging out. WE have a great time! Then there are all of my writer friends- many, like Lynn who I've met at conferences and connect with now and then, and others who I have (or did until this ) lunch with once a month. And there are some writer friends, I've only ever met online but they have become like best friends. While I'm an introvert, as I said, and never really collected friends as kid or young adult, I value them more now that I'm getting older.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

I'm proud to be on your friend list, Paty. It's great to have so many different friends. Interesting how you collected most of them later in life.

Deb N said...

I can think of many examples, both older and younger, but my friend Leslie - whom I met my freshman year in my new high school and I have been buddies ever since. We can go for ages without talking, but we connect immediately when we do. Some memories - our double date for her 16th birthday happened to be on the day after Martin Luther King was shot. We lived in Washington, D.C. where riots erupted. I was thinking of that this morning as I saw what was happening all over our country. My dad was out of town and my mom drove me to Leslie's for an overnight. My mom, my sister, and I ended up spending the weekend, as there were riots and fires within blocks of my house. Our dates that evening had to spend the night, as the curfew was announced as they were on the way to pick us up for the birthday celebration. The two guys - our dates - I ended up marrying my date years later, and she her date and we are Godmothers to each other's children. Now we're both divorced. The day I found out I was pregnant with my second, I called her and she had just delivered. She used to come to Maine for vacation and the two families spent time together. Now she lives in FL. We rarely see each other, but talk and text all the time.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Wow Deb, sorry you had such a time on that double date. Violence is a terrible thing. I hope we can learn from this and improve as a society.

Your friendship with Leslie sounds lovely. It's great that you can keep in touch so much. Thank goodness for phones!

Sarah Raplee said...

My most cherished friendships are shared with my sister, Diana and my Co-Blog Queen and kindred spirit, Judith. We love, encourage, support and learn from each other through the ups and dons of life. We laugh and cry together and we trust one another. It's a beautiful thing.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

How lovely, Sarah. That's the best part of friendship.

Peggy said...

I am like Sarah and Diana. My most cherished friend is my youngest sister. We are seven girls and she and I are fourteen years apart as I am the oldest. We travel together and enjoy many of the same hobbies except she is much more active than I am. I treasure her friendship and love.

Judith Ashley said...

My definition of "friends" and "friendship" has changed over the years. I've a few friends in their 80's but I'm within 18 months of reaching that milestone myself. I've friends in their seventies, sixties, fifties and forties. What has surprised me is that I have friends I only know "on line" as 10 years ago I never thought one could become "real" friends with someone I didn't spend face-to-face time.

I tend to take my time making friends but then I keep them forever - or almost forever. It is hard for me when someone I have been friends with decides to end the relationship. It is also a celebration of joy when, for a variety of reasons, I've drifted apart from friends and then we re-connect.

During this time of "Stay Home, Stay Safe, Save Lives" while I miss those hugs, I'm grateful for Zoom, texting and phone calls.

I'm chiming in here a bit late because I've been out of town sitting with a friend of almost 40 years who is at the end of his life's journey. He is hanging in there (which is why I came home for a few days) to celebrate his 76th birthday on Friday. He sleeps a lot but when he is awake we reminisce about the past and the adventures we shared when I was the case manager for his duel diagnosed trust clients.