Thursday, May 14, 2020

Celebrating Ourselves by Lynn Lovegreen

This month, we’re celebrating the Romancing the Genres anniversary and also celebrating ourselves. I took a long time to come around to the idea of celebrating myself. But I’m glad I did.

In many cultures, women aren’t encouraged to celebrate themselves. Often we aren’t encouraged to think of ourselves at all. Many of us fall into the habit of putting others first to the extent that we consider anything but ourselves. I know I did that for much of my life. But as I grew older, it was easier for me to begin making a change.

When I got to middle age, I found I didn’t care what others thought in the same way I had before. I still care about people, especially my loved ones. I help others as often as I can. But it doesn’t bother me if someone dislikes the way I dress or disagrees with something I say. I am not concerned with making everyone happy. And that’s freeing. I can now decide what I want to do without tying myself in knots trying to please everyone. That’s how I celebrate myself.

People in old age are often more like themselves, in that their personalities and activities expand on the tendencies they had all along. For example, if they loved being with people before, they’re even more extroverted in their old age. As I grow older, I indulge my hobbies and interests more often, including my writing. I live more the way I want to, and with the people I care about. Life’s too short to spend time on unimportant things. I focus on the things that matter to me. And in the process, I celebrate myself.


That’s my story. Now it’s your turn. How do you celebrate yourself nowadays?



Lynn Lovegreen has lived in Alaska for over fifty years. After twenty years in the classroom, she retired to make more time for writing. She enjoys her friends and family, reading, and volunteering at her local library. Her young adult historical fiction is set in Alaska, a great place for drama, romance, and independent characters. See her website at www.lynnlovegreen.com. You can also find her on Facebook and Instagram.


3 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Lynn, I totally agree that "life's too short to spend time on unimportant things." I had that conversation with friends last night...I'm taking this time to finish projects that I've been going to do for a long time (one has been on the list at least 2 decades). These are tasks "I've" been going to do and the reality is I'm no longer able to do them. Biting the bullet and paying someone to finish things up has been the best gift to myself this year. I feel a weight being lifted as each is completed. Accepting that my health is improving but may never reach the point, for example, where I can safely climb ladders and paint my carport was freeing.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Good for you, Judith. It's good to take care of yourself in that way.

Deb N said...

This is so true, Lynn. Aging is a blessing, in that it frees us up to be ourselves. I have become more stubborn about valuing "my time" and setting limits with others. "Sorry, can't do that right now, because I want to do something else for me." Women, especially, tend to lose themselves to help others. So it is taking back that self that is so important. So good for you, Lynn!