Friday, May 15, 2020

Merry May #anniversary

Hi, I'm Pippa Jay, author of sci-fi and supernatural stories to engage your emotions. For me, May is always a month of celebration. Apart for the Romancing the Genres Blog-o-versary, May is also my wedding anniversary AND my book anniversary too. The 7th May 2012 saw the publication of my first ever novel. I'm now eight years published, with 20 titles listed on Goodreads to my name.

Not that I'm able to do much about it right now, with the UK still (mostly) in lockdown. Nor could we take advantage of the 8th of May being made a bank holiday this year for the 75th anniversary of VE day. Sigh. But because of the VE celebration, our street had a social distancing street party, with everyone sitting at the end of their drives with out own separate drinks and party food (we had scones handmade by hubs, with raspberry jam and clotted cream, yum!), while a music teacher at the far end of the road played wartime classics on his clarinet, followed by another neighbour setting up as DJ for the evening while we all stood and chatted at the required 2m social distance. It was a strange kind of party, and yet probably the most sociable our street had ever been. I spoke to neighbours I hadn't chatted to in years (we've lived here 25 years now and just about to finish paying off our mortgage, yay), and others we've never spoken to at all. We have new neighbours in the house adjoining ours that we hadn't spoken to much but apparently the young lady is enamoured of my feather footed chooks so I took my baby Princess Aura out to be seen.
Princess Aura

We stayed out until the sun was too much, but the music went on until 10am. I suppose COVID-19 has come with some benefits...
Our VE Day bunting - a little red, white, and blue, finished off with a rainbow for the NHS

In the meantime, I'm still off work as I have three children home off school and there's no real call for my support as science technician at the school I work for. All those jobs I'd put off due to lack of money, then delayed by lack of time are now being done. And next month, title 21 is due to go off to my editor. Yep, there's finally another WIP.
Keep safe, and carry on reading!

4 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Congratulations on getting #21 off to your editor next month and having your home almost paid off!

The VE day street party sounds like fun. I grew up in a family who loved sing-a-longs and I imagine we sang some of the same wartime classics as my dad and two uncles served in WWII.

Happy Anniversary!!!

Lynn Lovegreen said...

You, too, Pippa. Congrats on your anniversaries!

Sarah Raplee said...

I love your description of the street party!!! Happy VE Day!!!

So glad to hear there's a new book on the way-reading is helping me get through the pandemic with my sanity. Let me know when to pre-order. Your Princess Aura is a lovely chook!

Deb N said...

What a lovely idea for a party. We've been talking about having a street party for years. Now that we have all been home for months, the neighbors are finally talking to each other here too. Usually it's been a friendly wave as we rush off to work or the grocery store. Now, we're actually talking as people walk by on the street. So despite the devastation of this pandemic on human life and economy, some good has come out if it, as well all go back to a simpler, more civilized way of life, where we take the time to know our neighbors. Really, probably what most of us write about in our fantasy worlds of our books :-) Congrats on Book # 21 - very exciting!