Friday, June 5, 2020

Life-Long Readers and Life-Long Learners


Hi, I’m Judith Ashley, author of The Sacred Women’s Circle series, soul nourishing romantic women’s fiction that honors pagan spiritual practices. My stories show you what life could be like if you had a place like The Circle where you are unconditionally accepted, supported and loved. And where, with this support, you do overcome obstacles and find your happily-ever-after.
You may wonder what Romancing The Genres is doing celebrating Children’s Book Authors.
The answer is simple:
The earlier a child
appreciates books,
understands the value of getting lost in a story,
comprehends that answers to all questions can be answered in the pages of a book,
experiences the joy of holding a book, turning the pages (paper or digital) and losing track of time and the myriad of challenges of day-to-day life
The more likely that child will be a life-long reader.
However, while that is mostly true, it isn’t 100% true. I’m a life-long learner and early reader. I read to my son from the time he was born until he was in elementary school. I read to both my granddaughters and also to my great granddaughter.
Are they life-long learners? Yes
Are they life-long readers? No
While my dyslexia is minor it was more severe in my son and even more so in my granddaughters. The truth is it’s easier to become a life-long reader when reading is easy. And it’s much more daunting when those letters and words have a life of their own.
My life-long love of books means I have book shelves full of keepers, stacks next to the couch and then the most important ones next to my computer.
Is there a children’s book next to my computer? Yes
What children’s book have I read over and over and yet over again?
The Velveteen Rabbit, by Marjory Williams with Illustrations by William
Nicholson. My current copy is especially dear to me because it is a gift from my longest and very bestest friend, Michele.


What is it about this book that touched my heart the first time I read it enough that I’ve read it over and over again?

Love makes us real. And that love always sees us as beautiful in body, mind and spirit.

As I add years to my age, I look for the me I used to see when I looked in the mirror. She’s there – I see glimpses in the smile, the look in my eyes, the way I hold my head. But I also see the me with white hair and extra pounds. The me who no longer jogs and is thankful she can still walk unaided.

My favorite passage is when The Skin Horse is talking to The Velveteen Rabbit about Nursery Magic and what happens to make a toy real.

“It doesn’t happen all at once,” said the Skin Horse. “You become. It takes a long time. … Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. … Once you are Real you can’t be ugly, except to people who don’t understand.”

While I may cringe when my granddaughters call me “cute” I do know that they see me as Real. Not as an old lady with white hair who doesn’t move as fast as she once did. They see the grandma who loves them for now and for always.

Looking in the mirror, I can see her too. She’s got wisdom in those Rawson blue eyes, her heart beats strong and loves rushes through her veins. Love for her grands and great grands but also for the memories of reading Dr. Seuss, singing the alphabet song a bajillion times, celebrating first steps and first words and all those life events one has to grow old to experience.

What are your favorite memories either of your own early reading experiences?

You can find all of my books at your favorite e-book vendor. Be sure to ask your local library if you’d prefer to read my books through that resource.



Learn more about Judith's The Sacred Women’s Circle series at JudithAshleyRomance.com


Follow Judith on Twitter: JudithAshley19

Check out Judith’s Windtree Press author page.

You can also find Judith on FB! 

© 2020 Judith Ashley

12 comments:

peggy jaeger said...

this is so true. I started reading before I ever went to kindergarten and my daughter read in preschool. Today we are both voracious readers and writers and we'd rather spend time with a book than with most people! Excellent post. Thank you.

Diana McCollum said...

Early in my teens and twenties I read a lot! Then marriage and children came along. I switched from age appropriate reads to reading children books to my children. Then I went to work and my children grew up and I didn't have time to read much. Now I read during the day and every night. I try to include a non-fiction book as one of my day time reads.

Right now, I am reading a book about understanding poetry. So YES! I am a life long learner too!!

Dora Bramden said...

The line that got me in the heart was how the Velveteen Rabbits' hair had been loved off. Beautiful blog, Judith, about love making things and people real. I'm typing this with a gouty little finger, I smile as I say this because I agree it's such a privilege to be old and to have so much love in my heart. Thanks for this delightful but deep post about what really matters.

Sarah Raplee said...

Wonderful post, Judith! I never cared much for the Dr. Seuss illustrations, but I loved the word play and rhyming. The Winnie-the-Pooh books were funny and gentle, which I loved. My favorite book in early elementary school was Greensmoke, a story about a young girl becoming friends with the last dragon on earth. I wish I had a copy, but I don't.

I discovered The Velveteen Rabbit when my own children were small and read the story to them many times.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Lovely post, Judith!

Maggie Lynch said...

Love this post, Judith! The Velveteen Rabbit is also a favorite of mine. In fact, the very passage you quoted is one I've now read twice at funerals for those who passed after a long battle with cancer.

Though touted as a children's book and with amazing lessons, I believe it is one that many adults would also learn from reading.

I am very blessed in that I have loved reading from an early age. Words and ideas have always been easy for me to process and have given me an inner life that is often much more rewarding and comforting than my outer life.

I have known a number of people with dyslexia who are very creative. The ones with the most difficulty tend to narrate their own work and rely on an editor to clean it up. Now that audiobooks are so much more available, many of them "read" by listening to audiobooks. It becomes a way to level the field and still provide access to amazing stories.

Judith Ashley said...

Peggy, thanks for stopping by and commenting. I think it helps to be raised in a family of readers. My best friend has dyslexia but she persevered and reads all the time. It still is an effort for her especially when tired. Her goal to earn a Master's Degree is one of the reasons she worked so hard. Having a goal that requires reading skills helps those who have dyslexia.

Judith Ashley said...

Diana, adding non-fiction to your fiction reading is a great idea. And I've had years when my reading for pleasure was diminished but I don't remember years when I didn't read at all. That could actually be my faulty memory rather than reality.

Judith Ashley said...

Dora, that section of "The Velveteen Rabbit" is my favorite also. And I think it is true...I've books from my childhood that are too fragile to read anymore but I love to see them. Memories of my dad especially reading them is a good memory (My mom also read but dad did voices better).

Judith Ashley said...

Sarah, I haven't read (or heard of) "Greensmoke" but it would be a great story to read to my great grands as my great grandson is really into dinosaurs and dragons. And I agree the word play and rhyming of Dr. Seuss books is the best part!

Judith Ashley said...

Thanks Lynn!

Judith Ashley said...

Maggie, I've also read that section at funerals as I see it as a universal truth. And my best friend is a wonderful artist. My grands both have a natural artistic flair so I'd agree that people with dyslexia may not easily read a book but they are creative.