Saturday, June 6, 2020

Writing Books for Children - Kathy Coatney

Kathy Coatney
When I started writing, my focus was on contemporary romance, so when the opportunity to write a series of nonfiction children’s books arose, I resisted. I was working full time as a photojournalist and barely had time for my fiction, but then I received a call from a local veterinarian. He told me about a potential article—a local dairy producer had a cow that had just given birth to quadruplets. This only happens once in every 700,000 births, but what was even more incredible was that she gave birth unassisted, all four heifers were alive and healthy, and weighing in at approximately 60-65 pounds each. That only happens once in every 179.2 million births.
As I was writing the article, a fellow writer planted the idea that I should write a children’s book about the quadruplets, and the From the Farm to the Table series was born. The series targeted first to third grade graders, and I felt that illustrations (photos in my case) were crucial for this age group. The old adage, a picture tells a thousand words is very true, especially when you’re talking about an unfamiliar subject.
I’ve learned several things in my eight year journey of writing and publishing children’s books. First and foremost, formatting is a nightmare mainly because of the pictures. I tried to do it myself and finally gave up and hired a formatter, but at that time formatters had little or no experience with this type of book. I was fortunate my formatter was willing to work with me and learn as we went.
The second thing I discovered is, children’s books sell almost exclusively in print. Romance sales do well as eBooks, but children’s books do not. While plenty of preschoolers and school-age children use electronic devices, my grandchildren included, they use them for games and movies, not books.
With the almost universal usage of electronic devices in our world today, I believe this makes children’s books even more important. Sitting with an adult, learning about animals and farming, or bugs and insects, or getting lost in fiction is a precious gift. I vividly remember every day after lunch my sixth grade teacher read to us. It was a soothing, comforting time that was a nice transition from running and playing.
But as much as children benefit from being read to, I think it’s a life-long gift for parents. I still remember my son’s warm little body snuggled next to me as I reread the same book for the hundredth time. I knew the words by heart, but it didn’t matter. It was the time spent with my child that remains a cherished memory. The book is in my bookcase, the cover held together with masking tape—the sign of a well-loved book. 
Before I sign off, just a little bit about my books. From the Farm to the Table has six books in the series. The first book was From the Farm to the Table Dairy, then bees, table olives, potatoes, almonds, and beef cows.
I also write deeply emotional, small town, romances. I have a three book series,Falling For You…Again, Falling in Love With You, Falling in Love for the First Time
I also have She’s Out of His League that is a stand-alone at the moment, but I have two more books in the series that will be released shortly. 

I also have Leave Me Breathless a romantic mystery, and I will have more books to follow in that series, too. 

The Crooked Halo Chronicles is a series about love, romance, and guardian angels. You can get Angels R Us free by subscribing to my newsletter.

Thank you all. It was lovely spending time with you. I look forward to meeting up with you on FB, TW, and kathycoatney.com

7 comments:

Diana McCollum said...

Kathy,
So glad to see you here at Romancing the Genres. You are a fabulous author and I've enjoyed your adult books along with the children's. I've bought several for my grandkids and they've really enjoyed them.

This was a reminder I need to buy a couple more!

Great post!

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Great post, Kathy. Creating children's books is like sending a gift to kids and their families. Thanks!

Marcia King-Gamble said...

Thanks for sharing the cow stats. I did not know of the rarity of such. My grandmother owned cows, sheep, pigs and chickens and we learned not to get too attached for obvious reasons. Yup From Farm to Table. Enjoyed your post and your voice.

Sarah Raplee said...

Kathy, it's interesting that kids still prefer paper books. I wrote one children's book about Ospreys years ago, and found one of the most difficult pieces was deciding what to include and what to leave out. Was that true for you?

Love your Farm to Table Series!

Judith Ashley said...

Kathy, Thank you for guesting here at Romancing The Genres this weekend. When I taught 7th and 8th grade I read to the class after lunch. I think the name was "Johnny Tremaine" and it was about a youth at the beginning of the American Revolution. I knew that at least 80 and more likely 90% of the students had never been read to and maybe had never read a book for pleasure (small logging community where some of my class had no electricity or indoor plumbing).

My goal with my great grands is to be the 'Book Grandmama' and I'm doing quite well at it. I will take a look at your "Farm To Table" series as a holiday gift. Just sent them Simon Calcavecchio's "Frank and Mustard" series for April/May birthdays. I'm getting some great ideas for future gifts from the Genre-istas and our guests this month!

Paty Jager said...

There is so much about farming that even adults don't know that needs to be out there for people to realize how hard and rewarding it is. I'm glad you made these books for children.

Maggie Lynch said...

I Love your Farm to Table Books and have gifted them for birthdays to our three grandsons. The granddaughter will start getting them when she gets out of the toddler stage.