Tuesday, June 9, 2020

TOO MANY TO COUNT by Eleri Grace


Oh, children’s books – one of my favorite topics! I’m supposed to pick just one? Yeah, I don’t think I can do that. Not only do I have my own childhood favorites, but now I have treasured memories of special books that I shared with each of my children. One of my Pandemic Projects was to reorganize my library shelves, clearing out some books to be sold on Amazon or donated. I must have spent an entire morning happily flipping through some of our favorite books on the children’s shelves. 
Here are our favorites for youngest readers: my personal favorites were Go Dog Go, Teddy Bear of Bumpkin Hollow, and The Jungle Book (Little Golden Book version). My daughter’s favorite board book was Going on a Bear Hunt, while my son preferred The Monster at the End of the Book.

 
In preschool and kindergarten, my daughter’s personal favorite was Paper Bag Princess,
which is an absolutely fabulous "girl power" book if you've not read it. My son, to my delight, loved not only fairy tales but also turned increasingly to the “fractured fairy tales” that take an unusual twist on the familiar stories. He had gone through a stage of only wanting to read picture books with construction vehicles, trains, cars, any sort of vehicle at all, so the fairy tale stage was a welcome change of pace. These are some of his favorites. We read the Steven Kellogg version of The Three Little Pigs so many times he could recite it in dramatic fashion from memory.



My favorite elementary school books included Laura Ingalls Wilder’s Little House series. I’ve remained a steadfast fan of her work into adulthood – for many years, I researched her life with the intention of writing an adult biography. Though that biography project has been set aside (not to mention that Caroline Fraser’s recent Pulitzer-Prize winning biography probably undercuts the need for another one any time soon), Wilder’s books – and her late-blooming career as a novelist – continue to inspire me.
My daughter’s favorites from elementary school as depicted in this collage include a couple of choices that are a little on the dark side, but then, children’s literature has always had a dark vein. She had an ongoing love-hate relationship with Kathi Appelt’s The Underneath, re-reading it several times much to my surprise given how upset she was by the issues of animal cruelty.

My son and I enjoyed reading the Harry Potter series together when he was in 1st and 2nd grade, and he asked to listen to the audio versions on a continuous loop for several years after that. As a huge fan of Rowling’s classic series, I also read them with my daughter, though she was less enthusiastic. Even as a younger child, she was drawn to more realistic literature rather than fantasy (though I will note that she came to a later appreciation for both the books and films and now happily binges on the movies).
Here are my other favorite titles from later elementary school and into my junior high years. Where the Red Fern Grows was the first novel I cried over. Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret was a staple for tween girls in the 1970s and remains a popular choice today (my daughter read it). Though we didn’t then have a Young Adult literature section in bookstores or libraries, The Outsiders was an early example of literature aimed at a teenage audience, and it too has stood the test of time. 
I thoroughly enjoyed this month's prompt and hope I've passed along some appealing suggestions for good children's books you might enjoy all on your own or with your children or grandchildren.  

Learn more about me and my writing on my website, and you can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram
You can find my Clubmobile Girls books on Amazon

5 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

Great post, Eleri! You reminded me of more of the books I loved, and introduced me to some new ones. Interesting connection to Laura Ingalls Wilder: My eldest granddaughter (now grown in her twenties) is a descendant of the famous author, and actually looks a lot like her. So far she's not had writing inclinations. She is assistant manager of a cattery in a no-kill animal shelter.

Judith Ashley said...

Thanks for even more ideas for my great grands! My copy of The Jungle Book (not the Little Golden Book version) is falling apart. I should look to see what I can do to preserve it. Condition? Well-worn to Worn-out.

Diana McCollum said...

Thanks for sharing your favorite children's books with us. Some I've read and some I'd never heard of. Your post has given me some new ideas for gifts for the grandchildren.

Maggie Lynch said...

Great post with lots of interesting books I know nothing about.

I am curious about your son's transition from cars, trucks, and trains to Harry Potter or other books. My three male grandchildren (ages 2 to 6) seem stuck on those cars, tracks, and trains. The six year old does have an additional interest in Dinosaurs but I'm wondering how to move him to something a little more story-based instead of nonfiction.

Any ideas? Or am I just being too pushy and should be glad they enjoy books? They live 3,000 miles away so it's not like a get to see them a lot, but I do gift books all the time.

Eleri Grace said...

Hi ladies - I suddenly realized that I never did pop back here to check my comments.

Maggie -- I just kept on reading at least one "story" each night in addition to the trucks/construction vehicle picture books. Something about fairy tales clicked with him and then we moved on to the twists on fairy tales and from there to Harry Potter and Rick Riordan. I hope your grandsons will likewise find some good stories to enjoy soon! Try the fairy tales angle.

Sarah - Laura's only daughter Rose didn't have any children (she did lose a baby boy, probably a later miscarriage we think). She did "adopt" unofficially a couple of young men who lived in the Ozarks near her parents' home, so perhaps your granddaughter's connection with Laura runs through those boys who lived with Rose on the Wilder farm for a few years in I think the 1930s. But she has no living descendants. It's actually quite sad that none of the Charles Ingalls family have any living descendants. Carrie had a couple of stepchildren who do have descendants, but Mary and Grace had no children and Laura only had Rose, who died without children.

Judith -- you might google book repair. I've seen some online sites that guide you through some basic salvage work, depending on the type of binding and the type repair that it might need. Good luck! I love that one.