Thursday, July 30, 2020

Hangover Husband by Bonnie Edwards

HANGOVER HUSBAND

Years ago, I came up with the delicious beginning of a book. I think I wanted to submit it to Harlequin for one of their spicy lines of romances.

The opening pages were about a young woman waking in a huge hotel room bed, alone. She heard a droning sound and realized that there was a man in the shower, and she had a cigar band on her ring finger. The marriage licence on the floor was her third clue that something had changed in her life.

I came up with a great title right away and Hangover Husband was born. I came up with a synopsis (which is an intriguing retelling of the concept – not an outline).

Alas, there was no real conflict until I realized months later that the man in the shower was happy about being married to her.

One of my guiding questions when creating characters is, “Who is the worst possible person for this hero or heroine?” And honestly, the man in the shower wasn’t the worst guy for her.

I stalled on Hangover Husband and set it aside because other books were easier to write. Some books know the meaning of the word cooperate. My Hangover Husband did not want to cooperate. Apparently, he was the wrong guy for me!

Last Chance Beach: Summer’s End 

Then Last Chance Beach: Summer’s End opened up a new way to look at that hasty Vegas wedding and I knew who the man in the shower was…

Meet Danny Carling: Now that Danny Carling had his career on track he focused on his next goal. Staying married to Stacy Leon. His little sister’s best friend had been tying him in knots since she first appeared in Jenna’s life.

A high school sophomore had been way too young, and he’d waited patiently for his crush to fade. It had taken years. He told himself he had not been waiting for Stacy to grow up. He’d moved on a long time ago, grown past the fevered dreams and yearning.

He’d had plenty of other women, appropriately aged and experienced and ready to say “so long” when his next assignment came in. Nothing in his life had been permanent. He’d chased every dream around the globe, taking photos that had won him awards, acclaim, and cash.

And then, last month, he’d gone to Vegas for Mason’s bachelor party while the bridesmaids had done their thing on the other end of the strip. As the men had wandered up the strip, the women had wandered down, crashing together somewhere in the middle. The only thing that wasn’t a blur was seeing Stacy, her luscious body glittering with sparkly stuff, her skirt tight and her top loose so her breasts could swing free.

Her eyes had widened when she saw him, and her lips had pouted when he’d pulled her into a bear hug. But she’d stayed under his arm and when the two groups separated again, they stayed together. Alone.

And now meet me: I’m Bonnie Edwards and I write romance. I write in my head, I write on paper, I write when I’m driving, walking, sleeping. I’ve written novels, novellas, and short stories for Kensington Books, Harlequin Books, Carina Press, and Robinson (UK) although now I publish my work myself. Learn about more exciting releases by subscribing to my newsletter Bonnie’s Newsy Bits.

https://www.bonnieedwards.com/

 Follow me on BookBub, a great site for readers and writers to connect and talk books!

https://www.bookbub.com/authors/bonnie-edwards

https://www.amazon.com/Bonnie-Edwards/e/B001IO9UTO

https://twitter.com/BonnieEdwards

https://www.facebook.com/Bonnie.Edwards.Author/


16 comments:

peggy jaeger said...

I've got the collection preordered and can't wait to read them all!

Nora LeDuc said...

Bonnie, Sounds like you were a born writer. At last you have the perfect place to write that story. The title will bring you many readers, me included. Here's to many sales.

Jan Scarbrough said...

Wow! Your story has me hooked! Can't wait to read it.

Bonnie Edwards said...

Thanks for having me here, Sarah. I haven't thought about this origin story in a long time. It was lovely to revisit it in my mind. I hope everyone enjoys all the books in this wonderful, fun boxed set, set in Last Chance Beach.

Liz Flaherty said...

I love when stories demand their own way in their telling. They're almost always right!

Marcia King-Gamble said...

Bonnie, Hangover Husband has me hooked. Can't wait to read it. I know what you mean about some books just needing to be told. What a fun place Last Chance Beach has turned out to be with such fun characters. Saving that beach chair for you. I've pre-ordered the set.

Maddie James said...

I think that sometimes some stories are waiting for their day to be told. Perhaps that's true with this one! I love the premise and the title hooks me in from the git-go. Can't wait to read it, Bonnie!

Nancy Fraser said...

Great post for a great book! I hope everyone who reads this will join us on Last Chance Island!

kathleen Lawless said...

I love the background stories to writers'stories. I am so looking forward to Last Chance Beach.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Loved your story of Hangover Husband. Isn't being a writer a wonderful job? It's also like having an incurable disease. LOL

Bonnie Edwards said...

Caroline, yes, an incurable disease. Sometimes, I wouldn't wish writing on my worst enemy. (If I had one)

Cheryl Bolen said...

What a fantastic premise! Can't wait to read it.

Kara O'Neal said...

LOVE the title! I got the books and can't wait to read them!

Connie Vines said...

Can't wait to read this story! You hooked me with the title.

Badass Lioness said...

Cute story. I like the title.

Sarah Raplee said...

Bonnie, You hooked me at "...his next goal: staying married to Stacy Leon." I love stories with unusual approaches! Can't wait to read yours.