Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Summer Projects Keep Me Busy by Jan Scarbrough

Sometimes a simple suggestion leads to a two-year writing project. That’s what took me and my character Hank from the setting of the McKenna Ranch in Paradise Valley, Montana, into Gallatin Canyon which is across the mountains. It didn’t hurt that my husband and I had spent three days in Gallatin Canyon at the Covered Wagon Ranch in 2016.

To gather the back story for my series, I read a few books. One had the long title of Days of Rage: America’s Radical Underground, the FBI, and the Forgotten Age of Revolutionary Violence by Bryan Burrough. I’m not going to say any more about the back story, because it will ruin the plot.

I recently finished the two-year project and released the Ghost Mountain Ranch series of four eBooks (Hank, first in series FREE). They are also combined into a more expensive paperback. The stories are summed up with this statement: The secrets of the past still haunt the living…

Three stories in the series (Darby, Slade, and Kelsey) are HEA romances, but there’s an underlying mystery running through them that unfolds in the last book.


I’ve also had fun this summer working on a publishing project with fourteen romance writers. I’ve joined the ladies from the Romance Gems Blog in a summer beach read set at fictitious Last Chance Beach. Last Chance Beach: Summer’s End is box set of fourteen shorty stories releasing on August 4th. It is available on Kindle Unlimited. The price, if you don’t belong to KU, is only 99 cents!

My contribution is a seasoned romance/second chance short story called Romancing the Spouse. I came up with the title first, then thought about the character, Jennifer, married for many years and now empty-nested. With her family grown, she’s at a loss because it’s just her husband and her this summer. Can she turn back the clock to save her marriage?

So, if you’re looking for new reads this summer, try my Ghost Mountain Ranch series or, for 99 cents, take advantage of a cool beach read of fourteen short stories set at Last Chance Beach.

 

About Jan Scarbrough

Jan Scarbrough

Jan Scarbrough is the author of two popular Bluegrass series. She writes heartwarming contemporary romances about home and family, single moms and children, and if the plot allows, about another passion—horses. Living in the horse country of Kentucky makes it easy for Jan to add small town, Southern charm to her books and the excitement of a Bluegrass horse race or a competitive horse show. Jan’s newest contemporary western romance is the Ghost Mountain Ranch series. Jan leaves her contemporary voice behind with two paranormal gothic romances, Timeless and Tangled Memories, a Romance Writers of America (RWA) Golden Heart finalist. Her historical romance, My Lord Raven, is a medieval story of honor and betrayal. 


AMAZON
| WEBSITE | NEWSLETTER | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BOOKBUB 

8 comments:

Nora LeDuc said...

Hi Jan, Love the summary of your books about the secrets of the past. That spice of Southern Charm sounds like a winner addition to your stories. Good luck with the big project, Last Chance Beach.

Liz Flaherty said...

I love that cover! Can't wait to read the story.

Judith Ashley said...

Thanks for being our gust on Romancing The Genre, Jan. Looks like you easily write across genres. Do you take time off between books when you switch to another genre?

Marcia King-Gamble said...

So glad to be part of this box set. See everyone on the beach; Last Chance that is.

Jan Scarbrough said...

Judith, I never could decide what I liked to write. I always wanted to write a medieval romance. It took me 20 years between work and raising children! In between, I wrote my Bluegrass books and other contemporary romances. I recently have written contemporary Western romances, especially after our vacation to Montana several years ago. I don't take time off on purpose, but sometimes ideas must work in my head a while.

Sarah Raplee said...

Your Ghost Mountain Ranch series sounds unique and intriguing, Jan! And I've re-discovered the joy of reading short stories, so the Last Chance Beach box set sounds perfect.

Hannah Rowan said...

I've always wanted to take a vacation at a ranch! I enjoyed Hank's story and am looking forward to reading the rest, as well as reading all the stories in Last Chance Beach.

Bonnie Edwards said...

Great cover! I’m excited to read all the stories!