Monday, July 6, 2020

Face-to-Face or Podcasts by Paty Jager

I couldn't think of anything to write about this month's topic on villains. I write villains in my mystery series, but they are the murderers and not always a villain other than the one act they do to take a person's life.

Instead, I thought I'd rather talk about how things have changed since the discovery of Covid-19. I had several book signings and conferences I had planned to attend this year. They have all been cancelled. Some have taken to the internet. A couple of the conferences are going to try and do some online workshops with the Guests of Honor authors who had been slated for the conferences. With my iffy internet, I'll try one and see how that works.

The only way I can get internet, because I live so rural, is by satellite. Some days it works great, some days it flicks on and off a hundred times a day. The days I'm writing and might need to do some research, it's not so bad.  But the days I'm trying to upload a book to an ebook vendor, or a print book website, or listen to audio chapters by my narrator and there are that many glitches, it can be a pain.

The other thing that has changed- many authors are signing up for podcasts with podcasts hosts as a way to speak to readers without going to a book signing event. I've done this twice so far.

Did I mention my internet isn't the greatest? Both podcasts have a lag time between the hosts questions and my answers. There isn't a lot I can do about it other than rethink doing podcasts.


Here is the link to the first podcast with Alexandra Amor on It's a Mystery Podcast; On this one I read a chapter from my book and answer questions. Here is the link to the website were you can download the podcast in several different places like Apple podcasts, Android, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, Tunein, and Spotify.

https://alexandraamor.com/mysteries-in-the-mountains-with-paty-jager/


The second most recent podcast was with Cynthia Brian on Be The Star You Are. She highlights writers for 15 minutes on her Wednesday podcasts. She talks about dealing with negativity the first 15 minutes, then interviews me about my latest release Fox Goes Hunting.

https://www.voiceamerica.com/episode/124087/fox-goes-hunting-managing-anxiety-organizing-and-decluttering

While I enjoy speaking with people about my books, I'm nto a fan of speaking on the phone, which is what I had to do for the second one. I figured out afterwards, the computer didn't work correctly because of something I did. At least I will no better if I sign on to do another podcast.

I keep thinking I want to do videos for my blog, but I never take the time to sit down and figure it out.

Do you like hearing from authors about their books via things like podcasts? Or would you rather see them in a video? I know better yet would be in person, but I think it's going to be a while before we can have conferences and book signings.

I hope you enjoy the podcasts if you listen to them.

Paty Jager is an award-winning author of 46 novels, 8 novellas, and numerous anthologies of murder mystery and western romance. All her work has Western or Native American elements in them along with hints of humor and engaging characters. Paty and her husband raise alfalfa hay in rural eastern Oregon. Riding horses and battling rattlesnakes, she not only writes the western lifestyle, she lives it. This is what Books a Plenty Book Reviews has to say about the Gabriel Hawke series: "The blend of nature tracking, clues, and the animals makes for a fascinating mystery that is hard to put down."

7 comments:

Diana McCollum said...

Paty,

Interesting blog post. No, I've never tried a Podcast. Although, I have an I-phone and could do listen on there. I haven't figured it out. I do like in person or video chat.

Too bad you are experiencing problems with the satellite connection. Can you pay more and have it boosted?

Paty Jager said...

Hi Diana, There is nothing better than face to face, but the podcasts are fun to do. No, I have the fastest/best I can get for the area.

Sarah Raplee said...

I'm sorry to hear your internet connection is so unreliable. I would be so frustrated!!! Is a podcast the same as a video chat? I like those because they are so interactive. I'll watch your podcasts and post another comment.

Luanna Stewart said...

I'm a podcast addict! LOL I listen to them on my iPhone with ear buds while I'm doing my chores or just sitting on the deck in the evening with a chilled adult beverage. There is an astounding variety of subjects, from comedy to drama to history, plus all the author and writing related shows. I'll be sure to check out your guest appearances, Paty.

Paty Jager said...

Sarah and Luanna, Thanks! I hope you enjoy the podcasts if you get a chance to listen. The Be The Star You Are, my interview starts about 15 minutes into the podcast.

Maggie Lynch said...

It is a different world when you can't do in-person appearances. Though podcasts have been around for decades and video casts at least 15 years, it is a medium I still find uncomfortable.

I've done a few podcasts, primarily as part of radio stations or regular podcast channels by others. I think my last one was three or four years ago. For me, I find podcasts are easier because I can write out notes or outlines in advance and have them right next to me to keep me on track and not having to do a lot of "um" breaks in thinking. I don't have to worry about looking down or away from the camera when no one can see me. I also don't have to worry about how attractive or unattractive I might appear to people.

It seems that video has replaced most podcasts now. I think fans like to see the author. We all like to look at body language while someone is talking because it provides a secondary means for judging authenticity.

To be good on video you really need to be someone who can look into the camera 95% of the time while speaking. That seems unnatural to most people. I'm fine with looking at real people and talking to them in a room because I'm reading their body language, too. But talking directly into a camera and trying to make sure my eyes are open and my body language is reflecting my emphasis is like looking into a mirror and talking to yourself (only you can't see yourself). It is difficult--at least for me.

Most people I know who do weekly or monthly casting do a video cast, put make a podcast available of just the audio track. In that way, people can choose what they want. That is, of course, time consuming work. But it can help build an author's brand and likability when done decently.

Paty Jager said...

Thank you for your thoughts and experiences, Maggie.