Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Happy Chocolate Day! *throws confetti

National Brownie Day isn’t until December 8th but who can wait that long? This treasured holiday should be celebrated more than once a year, in my opinion. Does anyone eat brownies only once a year? Besides, today is Chocolate Day so you’re not really breaking any rules.
Also, I have visions of a brownie sundae dancing in my head because summer = ice cream and what goes better with ice cream than a yummy brownie? 
There are two camps when it comes to brownie texture – fudgey and dense, or lighter and more cake-like. I fall in…both camps. I confess that I more-often-than-not bake a fudgey brownie but I wouldn’t refuse a cakey brownie if offered one. (Full disclosure, I won’t refuse any sweet baked good. And if it’s chocolate, there had better be another portion with my name on it.)
Here’s the recipe for brownies I make most often. Actually, this is the brownie recipe in my recipe box. Super easy and super chocolatey. Quite often…ah, most of the time…erm…all the time I put icing (frosting) on these babies. Vanilla icing is good. Vanilla icing with the addition of finely grated orange zest and a few tablespoons of orange juice instead of milk or cream is even better. (Makes a chocolate-orange kind of flavour – yum!)

Cocoa Brownies (adapted from Bon Appetit)
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 ¼ cups white sugar
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, beaten
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat over to 325F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a one-inch overhang, pressing firmly into corners, and spray with non-stick oil spray.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat. With a spatula or wooden spoon stir in white sugar and cocoa powder until blended (sugar will not melt). Remove from heat, stir in salt and vanilla. Allow to cool for 5 minutes then stir in eggs, beating well. Stir in flour and chocolate chips (and pecans if using). Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until centre is set.
Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack. Using edges of parchment, lift from pan and cut into squares. Makes 16 (for normal people) Makes 8 in our house - ha!

Are you a fudgey brownie or a cakey brownie person?

Cheers!
N.B. If I’m absolutely positive the majority of the brownies will be eaten as a component of a sundae, then I won’t bother with the icing because, I mean, that would be excessive, right?

(A previous version of this blog post first appeared in December, 2017.)

4 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

Happy Chocolate Day to you too, Luanna (throwing confetti with you). I love chocolate, and brownies are one of my favorite ways to enjoy the "food of the gods."

Your recipe sounds AMAZING and I will try it ASAP. Thank you so much for sharing, and for this funny. uplifting post!!!

Luanna Stewart said...

Enjoy your brownies, Sarah!!

Maggie Lynch said...

This is definitely an entry that fits the "evil villain" theme. If I make those brownies I won't be able to stop eating them. Evil. Evil. Evil.

Deb N said...

Lu - just catching up with blog reading. Yummm...I always love chocolate mixed with fruit flavors - and chocolate with orange is to die for (I see where your evil plot is going). Well, not actually die, but almost die in a chocolate induced coma. As for what kind of brownie - not turning down any kind of brownie - fudgy or cakey. Can't wait to try this recipe.