Thursday, August 13, 2020

My Current WIP: A Tough Note to Crack by Lynn Lovegreen

This month, Genre-istas are sharing their current WIPs (Works In Progress). My current project is a YA historical mystery with romantic elements—a good example of how you can mix and match those subgenres!

The idea started with a question: What if Veronica Mars was a teen in in Anchorage, Alaska in 1941?⁠

Fifteen-year-old Peggy Jones is the perky, fearless queen bee of Anchorage High School’s freshman class of 1941. She has plans to become first flute in Orchestra, Honor Society member, and future crème de la crème of the territory of Alaska. When the new kid’s flute is stolen, she gets the blame, and has to nab the thief to clear her name. Life gets complicated when the shy boy she’s just noticed becomes a suspect, Peggy’s best friend thinks she’s taking over her student government campaign, and her mother is keeping a secret from her. What’s a girl to do but take a cue from Humphrey Bogart and solve mysteries to keep her dreams alive?

Here’s the beginning:

It started with Humphrey Bogart.
I was halfway through filing thirty slips of paper with locker assignments when the third-period bell rang. My mind drifted off to more interesting things. A thousand miles away from Anchorage High School and Alaska, I searched the docks of San Francisco with Humphrey Bogart in The Maltese Falcon. I saw the movie three times at the Empress Theatre, so I could picture the fog rolling in and Bogart’s handsome face half in shadow from the brim of his fedora. If only I could solve a mystery with him and gaze into those dreamy brown eyes. I sighed. I glanced around to make sure that nobody overheard me.
Then the new kid walked in. A tall drink of water with a slim build and dark, he had wavy hair you could run your fingers through. His argyle sweater had seen better days, with stretched out sleeves and a fraying strand of yarn hanging from his waist. Standing next to him was an elegant, petite lady wearing a stylish velvet hat.
“Good morning, may I help you?” I asked in my best office girl voice. Excited at meeting a new student—and a cute boy— before anybody else, I bounced up on the toes of my new saddle shoes. Thank goodness Mother got me into this class as an extra elective—her status as president of the Anchorage Women’s Club and her friendship with the registrar sure came in handy. It kept me in the know around here, and out of boring old gym class.
 The woman opened her mouth, but the kid spoke up first. “We just got into town.” From the way he had his hands shoved in his pockets, he probably didn’t want to move here four weeks into the school year.  I could help set things right. 
“That’s great! Welcome!” I gestured to the office, the walls hung with festive orange and black pennants, and our eagle mascot. “I’m Peggy Jones, freshman. Pleased to meet you.” I stuck out my hand and shook both of theirs heartily, pep club and welcoming committee rolled into one.


Writers, what is your latest WIP? Or if you’re a reader, what’s the more recent read you really enjoyed?



Lynn Lovegreen has lived in Alaska for over fifty years. After twenty years in the classroom, she retired to make more time for writing. She enjoys her friends and family, reading, and volunteering at her local library. Her young adult historical fiction is set in Alaska, a great place for drama, romance, and independent characters. See her website at www.lynnlovegreen.com. You can also find her on Facebook and Instagram.

7 comments:

Judith Ashley said...

Lynn, I'm working on a non-fiction now but ideas for what's going to happen to the three characters readers met in "Visions of Happiness" are beginning to percolate. My plan is to have the non-fiction finished by early October which will give me time to work on and if not totally finish be really close by the end of the year.

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Sounds great, Judith! Hope your plan pans out for you.

Diana McCollum said...

Hi, Lynn,

Loved the excerpt of your story. Is this YA and what age group.

Diana

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Thanks, Diana! It is YA, and I classify it for younger young adults (age 12-18).

Sarah Raplee said...

I loved the excerpt, too, Lynn. You set the scene and character perfectly!

I'm trying to decide what to work on next. Stay tuned!

Lynn Lovegreen said...

Thanks, Sarah. Hope you find the perfect project to work on!

Maggie Lynch said...

Love the inciting question for your story: "What if Veronica Mars was a teen in in Anchorage, Alaska in 1941?⁠"

Enjoyed the details in your description particularly of the new boy. Definitely interested in where this goes.