Tuesday, August 18, 2020

The Insanity of Working on Two Books at Once .....Delsora Lowe

 NOTE: I apologize for publishing late - as with most of us these days - I thought I was still in last week - AHHHH. Aslo, so sorry I do not have any covers to show yet for either book, but SOON!

~ Delsora

The summer has been a busy one. Not only working on two books for fall release, but keeping up my reading and posting reviews for several author’s review teams.


The Love Left Behind is a novella that takes place at an estate turned event venue, off the coast of Rhode Island. Here is the blurb.

Her only worry is the out-of-control mother-of-the-bride, until the past slams head first into the present.

Marlee Thomas looks at life head-on. No looking back on what could have been. Except to thank her great aunt for giving her love, a home, a legacy, and the means to mold an event planning business she loves.

Brian Mason is on his own. He’s left behind his family’s law firm legacy and a disastrous marriage born out of family loyalty. He’s starting fresh, away from the big city where his surname is infamous.

Coincidence (or Fate) brings Marlee and Brian face-to-face for the first time in twenty-seven years. She’s the event planner, he’s the divorced father of the bride.

Instant passion ignited years ago and a secret baby are hard to hide. Can either forgive past mistakes to learn to love again?

I was inspired to write this book this winter, when I was in a huge slump from all the horrible world news. But I forced myself to take my daily walk, right after I finished reading an email from a writer friend who had suggested a list of “writing prompts.” For some reason, two stood out to me. One was about running into someone at a wedding and the other was about a long-held secret.

During my walk, those two ideas churned in my mind and they melded together as I came up with a plot and characters. I returned from my walk and immediately started writing. I haven’t written anything new in almost two years, as I’ve been editing and getting out books previously written. So, this was huge. I spent the month madly writing, even getting up in the middle of the night and writing for hours.

I sent the manuscript off to the editor in June, worked on a cover with my cover artist, and began working on the book blurb and reader’s letter. The second edit will happen in August.

I’m excited to announce that The Love Left Behind will be released later this fall.


The second book, The Inn on Gooseneck Lane, is a sweet romance that takes place at a Vermont Inn. And since it has a sweet kid in it, I've included a sweet photo of my grandson and his dog.


Here is the blurb.

Nat Thomas calls Mistletoe Falls, Vermont home where summers were magical, her aunt became the parent she needed, and high school love bloomed. Sixteen years later, that love lost, Nat returns home for a much-needed break. She’s recruited to revitalize her aunt’s picturesque inn. Will the boy who broke her heart be the man who rallies to save her home and capture her heart…for good?

Brad Matthews returns home to buy Green Mountain Sports, after years as an outdoor adventure guide. He’s thrown into partnering an event to revive the town’s inn and boost his business. Can he work with the woman who demolished his heart and ran with no explanation?

In a small town where everyone knows your business and interfering relatives revive snicker-doodling, the lost art of matchmaking, Nat and Brad may not stand a chance. Can the two find enough heart to forgive and accept love again?

I am currently in the midst of edits. As I read through the manuscript, it’s always fun to notice the places in the book that come from my past experiences. My hero Brad, owns a sporting goods store and used to lead outdoor adventure trips.  Years ago, I worked for over a decade at L.L. Bean. Both in Maine and in the first of the satellite stores they opened in Virginia and Maryland in early 2000. I worked the kick-off weekend at the second store, as well. The one thing I took advantage of while working for L.L. Bean was the employee outdoor discovery programs where we would learn everything from winter camping to snowshoeing and cross-country skiing, kayaking and canoeing, and skeet shooting and fly fishing. I took them all.


I also worked in an environmental college, where one of the majors was outdoor adventure therapy. The students took courses in therapy and counseling, as well as learning about the challenges of outdoor adventure and environmental lessons to help people connect with and find solace in nature. Some went on to work with teens or veterans, using outdoor programs to help them through trauma.

I happen to be the most non-outdoorsy person I know. But the experience helped me when I worked in the retail store in those departments. And it helped me come up with ideas for this book.

My heroine, Natalie, is tasked with helping her aunt run the family inn and build a week-long, winter guest program to help save the inn. The inn is inspired by several I stayed in when I visited Vermont, as well as by a restaurant I managed in an old estate in Maine, where our chef sourced organic product for the meals. We also held wine dinners using local wines, as well as planned weddings, political or business receptions, and corporate retreat workshops. All fodder for this story.

Both books are being edited, madly, I might add. Off to continue the work to get two books out.


~ cottages to cabins ~ keep the home fires burning ~

Delsora Lowe writes small town sweet romances and contemporary westerns from the mountains of Colorado to the shores of Maine.

Author of the Starlight Grille series, Serenity Harbor Maine novellas, and the Cowboys of Mineral Springs series, Lowe has also authored short romances for Woman’s World magazine.

 

Social Media Links:
Author website
: www.delsoralowe.com
Author FaceBook page:
fb.me/delsoraloweauthor
Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/Delsora-Lowe/e/B01M61OM39/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
Books2Read Author page:
https://www.books2read.com/ap/8GWm98/Delsora-Lowe
BookBub Author Page: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/delsora-lowe-93c6987f-129d-483d-9f5a-abe603876518
Goodreads Author Page:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16045986.Delsora_Lowe


9 comments:

Sue Ward Drake said...

Deb,
Both of these "yet-to-come" stories sound fabulous. I didn't know you'd had all those LLBean discovery course. How utterly thrilling. Have you done any kayaking since? Or maybe just virtually, huh? I find it so hard to sit too long on those hard fiberglass seats in a kayak. Well, more than 4 hours, especially if one's bum is soaking wet. Still, it's an adventure and you are lucky to have had so many to plumb for your writing.
Can't wait to see these both when they debut!

Deb N said...

Sue - thanks for stopping by. It was a lot of fun to be able to try so many different things while at LL Bean. And the fun part is most of the classes were taught by people I worked with who were experts in various departments. I worked in customer service so worked on the cash registers. But each day I was assigned to a different department. So what I learned was helpful in helping customers. And I got to know many of my co-workers all over the big store. I did do some kayaking after my first lesson, including a 3 day trip in northwestern Maine - exhausting but exhilarating. I'll let everyone know when they debut :-)

Sarah Raplee said...

Delsora, both these books sound like fun reads. Love the wonderful photo of your grandson and his dog! I'm glad you got back in the writing saddle despite all the chaos and negativity i the world. You go, Girl!!!

Carol Van Den Hende said...

aww, sweet photo!

Judi said...

Series are soooo much fun to write. And can drive you cray-cray. Keeping everything straight can be a challenge, but even more rewarding. Can't wait to read these.

Judith Ashley said...

As I just said in a comment to Andra Ashe's post, writing on two stories at a time isn't something I'd do at all. Linear thinking, linear writing, linear just about everything. I'm taking an on-line course and also signed up for a second one when I thought I'd finished #1. Then saw that I hadn't totally finished so madly listening/watching sessions to finish #1 so I can start #2. Can I start #2 now? Yes, I can. When I go to My Courses, there it is but...

Peggy said...

Love the ideas of both of these books and will read them when out. Anytime I can learn about and spend time in nature is a form of meditation for me. Wonderful that you got to take all those courses and put the experiences to good use in your stories now.

Diana McCollum said...

Your books sound lovely! Both plots are unique. Love the pic of grandson and puppy..

Maggie Lynch said...

"During my walk, those two ideas churned in my mind and they melded together as I came up with a plot and characters. I returned from my walk and immediately started writing."

I love when that happens! It is truly a gift to get that kind of inspiration.

Both of your stories sound amazing. The second one at the Vermont Inn screams Hallmark channel to me. So, you should definitely submit it to them once you've published.